Naval 'Condition' Plates

Presenting another watzit game, I already know the answers, I just want to see how fast one of the sea dogs can tell me what this is, what it means and where it is found.

John

post-2723-1335330840.jpg

It's been a long time since my Navy service, but I think that it indicates that the fitting (door or hatch) needs to be secured duing Condition Zebra. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas (Certifide Shellback)

Too easy. Condition Dog Zebra. Seen on doorways and port holes or any passage-access pointz where light can pass from inside the ship to the outside. Known as Darken Ship. We hear, "Set condition dog zebra" every night underway at sunset passed over the 1MC.

Yup and Yup, Thanks for the fast replies. This is a shipboard material condition plate and one of the busiest I have ever seen. The black D is for Dog and a darken ship fitting most likely a door on the exterior of the ship not fitted with a light trap. Mainly it is a Zebra fitting the highest of the three material conditions of readiness ie; X Y and Z. The circle makes it a special fitting that can be opened during the circled condition. Xray fittings represent the lowest level of watertight integrity generally set inport peacetime. Yoke is the next level set inport wartime and at sea. Zebra is set at general quarters. This is just the basics and any of these can be circled and be D fittings. William and Circle William fittings will be in another lesson. At this point I may have lost some of the pollywogs.

Actually on the lighter side, this is a plate that designated a special path to get bag lunches from the galley to Sigs in the signal shack during extended periods at general quarters.

• 1 month later...

No need to be sorry, some doors had vestibules painted in black with automatic switches some had the paint with light curtains (picture a total black maze) and some just had this plate. That was pretty painless, the apprentice shellback however is another thing..........a pollywog by any other name is still a pollywog. That unfortunatly is a schooling of sorts.

• 3 years later...

Bringing back this older thread with some new plates I found recently. I got lucky and found a Dog Zebra, William, X-Ray, and Yoke brass plates. I still need to find a Zebra and a Circle William plate.

post-10825-0-18621500-1446169175.jpeg

Nice plates, I should start collecting them always considered my circle dog zebra to be the ultimate, now that I see yours I want them all.

• 2 months later...

This is not really a condition plate, but I recently found this shipboard brass plate. This one is old and somewhat beat up. Pretty cool though.

post-10825-0-66386300-1453079393.jpeg