Patch Quilt

Sarge8

post-52851-1335320304.jpg

I recently rec'd my copies of Dennis Kirschner's Collector's Checklist (nice item by the way), and it prompted me to start digging through some items I have picked up over the years.

I don't ordinarily collect SSI's, but pick them up when I find them and usually put them aside to be found later when looking for something else. I'm very disorganized, or so my wife would say, but can usually find what I'm looking for!

ANYWAY- back when I first started collecting in the early 80's, my Mother-in Law (former Army Nurse, ETO) asked me if I wanted a bunch of patches. I said sure, and she went upstairs and brought down a bag full. She said that as patients came into their unit (107th EVAC), they would strip them down, get them into PJ's, and burn their uniforms due to lice, blood and dirt rather than try and save them. Several of the nurses got into the habit of saving the patches with the idea of making quilts out of them. She never got around to making it, so here they were. I told her why not make it now and bring it to their reunions (husband was plaster boy in same unit). We put them in order, she sewed them onto red bandage material she had brought home, and the quilt went to several reunions over the next 15 years or so (even after they has died).

I have not had it out for probably 10yrs, but thought you might like to see it. The ONLY patch she did not have was the 29thID. A guy I worked with gave me his, and we sewed it on.

I'll post some closer shots.

Frank

General Apathy
post-52851-1335320304.jpg

ANYWAY- back when I first started collecting in the early 80's, my Mother-in Law (former Army Nurse, ETO) asked me if I wanted a bunch of patches. I said sure, and she went upstairs and brought down a bag full. She said that as patients came into their unit (107th EVAC), they would strip them down, get them into PJ's, and burn their uniforms due to lice, blood and dirt rather than try and save them. Several of the nurses got into the habit of saving the patches with the idea of making quilts out of them. She never got around to making it, so here they were. I told her why not make it now and bring it to their reunions (husband was plaster boy in same unit). We put them in order, she sewed them onto red bandage material she had brought home, and the quilt went to several reunions over the next 15 years or so (even after they has died).

Frank

Frank, that's one of the neatest patch blankets I have seen, normally they are seen on a drab colored army blanket, but that one would look pretty neat displayed or used on a bed. :thumbsup:

lewis

Thanks. We used to hang it on the wall in the "Refreshments" room and leave it up all weekend. Lucky it was never stolen, as that room was wide open. I still have 5-6 unopened rolls of the bandage material she used to back the patches.

Frank

A nice collection, but I have a question- according to the story, they are all from the uniforms of patients that came through a single Evacuation Hospital?

A nice collection, but I have a question- according to the story, they are all from the uniforms of patients that came through a single Evacuation Hospital?

That's what she said. The 107th EVAC landed at Omaha beach about D Day + 30 (July), started setting up in Brest- went across France, caught up in Bulge close to Bastogne, back to Sedan France, then forward to Germany ending up in Wurzburg at war's end. treated about 25,000 patients (US, German and civilains). She may have pciked some up from transients going thru their station, but most were from patients.

I have a copy of their unit history.

Frank

post-52851-1335385071.jpg

My mother-in-law as she looked in the service. Probably at Wurzburg Germany about July-Aug 1945. The 107th took over a former German Army Hospital at war's end. She married Bob in July, and since he was enlisted, she was sent home early. He didn't get home till late 1945.

Frank

That's what she said. The 107th EVAC landed at Omaha beach about D Day + 30 (July), started setting up in Brest- went across France, caught up in Bulge close to Bastogne, back to Sedan France, then forward to Germany ending up in Wurzburg at war's end. treated about 25,000 patients (US, German and civilains). She may have pciked some up from transients going thru their station, but most were from patients.

I have a copy of their unit history.

Frank

Sounds like a reasonable explanation for the SSI for organizations that did not go to Europe- soldier's SSI from former units (like the stateside based Service Commands).

bunkerhillburning

Frank,

That is one great piece of history. Behind each patch is a story as to how the soldier ended up in the hospital - wish I knew them all!