USAAF Technician Qualification Badges

Tinman

Yes, that one makes sense and I think I've seen one of those examples for sale not long ago.

I've also seen the Photographer & Photo Lab Tech. bars on the same badge.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, I have seen Army Q bars on AAF Tech badges and AAF Tech bars on regular army Q badges. These were not made up but used unofficially by vets. These are rare to find but nice to have in the collection.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Here is my collection. I got into these as a side project while chasing some of the Tank Destroyer marksman bars. From some of the posts I've read online, I lucked out and got some of the rarer ones at a good price, but like so many, I am lacking all three of the RC Turret bars (not only lacking, other than a photo or two on this site, I've never even seen them), AP Electrical SP, Photographer and Photo Lab Tech.

2 regular sized badges, sterling, one is concave on the reverse where the propellers are, 1 badge is the larger lead.

8 larger lead bars, 14 of the lighter kind and 16 sterling.

I am very envious of some of the collections posted earlier, they are very nice.

post-161985-0-80690900-1455840437.jpg

Every now and then, I see a single Photographer or Photo Lab Tech; last combo that I seen sold for $74. in September 2013. Same for the Weather Observer/Forecaster with that combo selling for $154. in December of the same year. I've seen one or two of the RC Turret clasps but forgot what they ended at.

I've only added a couple examples since my last post, as like you, they are more of a side collecting interest. The ever common single AP Mechanic and this Radio combo.

I wish there was a list of what combos were more likely, as some leave me scratching my head on how these guys were truly utilized. Here's an interesting link if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/VI/AAF-VI-19.html

Tim

post-50776-0-94889800-1455917146.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here is an interesting collection of the Technician Badges with various hangers. Note middle badge, third row down with prop and crew chief hanger.

post-48217-0-23684000-1482435073_thumb.jpg

Here are three sterling Army Air Corps Tech badges with the Parachute Rigger Hanger. All three are different as you will notice on the photo of the reverse side. The left badge is completely flat, the middle one is the rare Gemsco amd the right badge is slightly indented. I don't know if any other sterling types exist. I am aware of the non-sterling pot metal examples. Any Comments ?

post-48217-0-19272700-1482436294_thumb.jpg

post-48217-0-12880100-1482436305_thumb.jpg

Here is an interesting collection of the Technician Badges with various hangers. Note middle badge, third row down with prop and crew chief hanger.

Nice collection. The prop and Crew Chief bar are for "Army Aviation" from the 60's. I have one just like it, they were made up by someone for a quick buck and are pure fantasy with the old Air Corps tech badge.

Here are three sterling Army Air Corps Tech badges with the Parachute Rigger Hanger. All three are different as you will notice on the photo of the reverse side. The left badge is completely flat, the middle one is the rare Gemsco amd the right badge is slightly indented. I don't know if any other sterling types exist. I am aware of the non-sterling pot metal examples. Any Comments ?

Nice variations! If you look up in this thread you will find a link to my thread on this subject with photo of variations including documents.

Mark

I took a look at your display link. Very impressive! It was quite informative and educational for me. I did not know that there were that many variations. My interest is in the Parachute Rigger and Weather bars since they relate to special operations and are the fore runner insignia for the ones that followed. The AF Tech certificate had "Parachute Mechanic" on it which I thought was an interesting term. Parachute Riggers pack, inspect and perform maintenance on parachutes and related items, but I never thought of them as mechanics. Interesting.

• 9 months later...

Good morning Tinman,

Absolutely great collection! I notice that you don't show any of the larger badges. I assume you have some with the larger bars. Jack

• 9 months later...
triplecanopy

Shown here are the two USAAF Weather badges. Both are sterling as well as the hangers. Back sides shown in next frame. These badges were for recognized proficiency with the USAAF Air Weather Service. After the US Air Force became a separate service other badges and insignia were used.

In the next few frames, I will show the other weather related badges and patches that came after.

post-48217-0-71705700-1531159787_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

Here are two early Weather Service Crests or DI's. I am not sure if these are WWII period or post WWII. Perhaps another collector can chime in. The one on the right is marked sterling. Both are pin back and the left one was made by NS Meyer. The Latin motto has something to do with clouds.

post-48217-0-34309200-1531160679_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

Moving into the more recent era, here is a USAF Air Weather Service (AWS) patch that I obtained several years ago. Note the similarity to the previously shown weather crests.

post-48217-0-93333900-1531161085_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

This is a now obsolete Special Ops Weather Team beret badge and flash. They are also part of the AWS - Air Weather Service, but were attached to US Special Operations units back in the 1980's. This design was replaced later with another design shown in the next frame. These guys were very proficient and I have tremendous respect for all they did as part of our mission.

post-48217-0-22169400-1531161243_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

This flash and beret badge is the current type worn by the Combat Weather Teams that can trace their roots back to the USAAF weather observers and fore casters of WWII. Comments welcome.

post-48217-0-43312000-1531161531.jpg

• 6 months later...