Question about hallmark on nut of EGA

Tonomachi

I bought this small grouping of insignia at an estate sale for twelve dollars. It belonged to Ernest J Stecker whom I'm assuming served during WW2. None of the EGAs are hallmarked but the fastening nut on one is marked S.S. and the other DODGE INC CHICAGO. Is this EGA manufactured by Dodge Inc or just the fastening nut? What does S.S. stand for (sterling silver?)? I also noticed that on the cap EGA has some kind of filler inside of it.

post-1389-1335195879.jpg

post-1389-1335195892.jpg

Close up of backs. These insignia has not been fooled around with probably since WW2 and were probably sitting in a drawer all of these years.

post-1389-1335195983.jpg

post-1389-1335195994.jpg

post-1389-1335196041.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

"Dodge Inc" was a contract maker did manufacture service arm, branch, distinctive unit, and all forms of insignia during WW2. Albeit the emblem is not marked, it can be presumed they did manufacture the emblem during the war years. Rex was another contract maker of these issue emblems, theirs is not marked as well

This could be your Marine:

Name: Ernest John Stecker

Birth Date: 31 Oct 1921

Birth Place: Illinois

Death Date: 12 Feb 1983

Death Place: Salinas, Monterey, CA

SSN: 32116XXXX

Branch 1: M

Enlistment Date 1: 14 Oct 1943

Release Date 1: 1 Jul 1946

This could be your Marine:

Name: Ernest John Stecker

Birth Date: 31 Oct 1921

Birth Place: Illinois

Death Date: 12 Feb 1983

Death Place: Salinas, Monterey, CA

SSN: 32116XXXX

Branch 1: M

Enlistment Date 1: 14 Oct 1943

Release Date 1: 1 Jul 1946

Thanks for the information and you are correct as I bought this grouping from an estate in Salinas after I'm assuming the wife passed away.

usmcaviator

An interesting note, check out this link from Brig where he shows a service set with the same rollers. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...56843&st=20

One marked "S.S" and the other "Dodge", just like yours. These EGAs (assuming the rollers are lifetime matches) have a distinct finishing appearance on the rear around the edges, they appear flat. Outwardly, they appear as do any other 1937 patterns...common. Until a set shows up marked "Dodge" or there is proof through company records that Dodge actually made EGAs, it is very well possible that they only made the rollers. There are plenty of cases of where one company made one piece and another company made another, only to be manufactured, packaged, distributed, and sold by another. Interesting nonetheless, and adds to the many potential varieties of the 1937 pattern. One could do a whole book on the subtle variations of just the 37 pattern. The 37 pattern can be the cheapest, and most fun to collect of all the Corps Devices (EGAs). You can still obtain them, and you find surprising things if you look close.

S/F,

Mike

• 1 month later...

either the emblems are Dodge, or the company that made them bought their rollers from Dodge. I have 3 singles (a service, a dress, and a 'sterling' marked dress) with the Dodge rollers, all this variant. Also have a pinback sweetheart emblem, but obviously no roller to speak of

Great set, cover emblem appears to belong with it