1942 White M16 Halftrack

MWalsh

From the ad:

1942 White M16 Military Half Track

Extra front and rear axels

Winch

•If you have questions call Seven-one-five - 896-1188

Cobrahistorian

Man, we just purchased a restored one and I'm looking at a second (possibly an M15) that needs restoration. Would have been cool....

Jon

Since this halftrack is half missing, wouldn't it be a quartertrack?

G

Nice one Gil! :hapy0004:

• 3 weeks later...

As a kid I had the MRC Tamiya M16 with the Quad 50, and always thought it was one of the most killer looking vehicles we ever fielded. If I could select a couple of vehicles to have from WW2 it would be a Jeep, a M16, and a German armored car of some sort (either a 4 or 8 wheeled).

Jack's Son
Since this halftrack is half missing, wouldn't it be a quartertrack?G

I'm sorry I missed this one, my mind was in the same place! :thumbsup:

Third Herd

When I was in South Korea 1970-71, they still had M16's for anti-aircraft, they ran because they would move them around. It was a bit unnerving to have the gunners track my truck with those quad.50's. At one of the bases on the coast a trip flare was tripped on the beach and all these green tracers came my way. A couple of the M16s opened up and filled the beach with there tracers and the green tracers stopped. I should have bought those guys a beer.

Cobrahistorian

I've got two M16s (one enroute here) and an M15 right now. Pretty incredible vehicles. We're getting them all fully kitted out with their TO&E equipment, so it's been slow going. I had the privelege to interview a 197th AAA (AW) M15 driver on Tuesday. He was in B Battery and made it on to the beach (B Battery lost a significant amount of equipment when LCT-200 was hit and burned. His track provided fire support until it bogged down and eventually got hit. Two of the gun crew were killed and the rest wounded. He was knocked unconscious, but was otherwise uninjured. Hearing him talk about his D-Day experience was pretty amazing.

Our functional M16 should be here within the next two weeks if all goes well.

Jon

Fantastic restoration 'Cobrahistorian' I know that takes a lot of dedication and work. My brother-in-law took me to a friend of his in Northern Idaho last summer and he had these two under tarps along with a bunch of other great vehicles. I had to throw in the picture of the quad-50 (with dummy guns) that belongs to a friend as I recall he purchased 60 of them from Belgium in the early 70s, I don’t think you could do it now. :think:

halftrackone1204x903.jpg

halftracktwo1204x903.jpg

thequad1378x961.jpg

Cobrahistorian
That's a beauty!

How long did it take to have it restored like this?

Erwin

Erwin,

Not sure. It's been in the Army's collection for a long time now. We've been bringing it up to spec recently. Needs new gun mounting bolts (the ones holding the .50s on are not GI) and a few other things. My focus has been outfitting our M15 and M16 with all of their correct TO&E equipment. With the two in the museum and our operational M16 enroute here, we've got a lot of tracks to outfit.

I've been looking at a few tracks in need of restoration in the hopes of building an "M15 Special", but until I can locate another Bofors that isn't on the Army property books, that's probably going to be a pipe dream.... we'll see!

Jon

Cobrahistorian
Never say never. ;)

Keep us updated please.

Erwin

Will do. I just submitted a "wish list", so if there are any anti-aircraft trials vehicles left, hopefully they'll come to us!

Jon