M-60 sling?

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I picked up some M-60 related stuff & this sling was with it. I am trying to confirm if this is an M-60 sling and if so from what time period? It is made of OD nylon with a rubberized coated shoulder pad. No markings that I can see. Thanks in advance!

Rob

post-168-1335127572.jpg

First instinct tells me that it looks like a carrying case-type of shoulder strap (snap hooks at each end of the strap) -maybe the spare barrel bag

M60 has sling swivels on the top of the buttstock & on the left side of the handguard if I remember corrrectly & the ends of the sling just looped thru the sling swivels

Chris

The M~60 sling is a black nylon tape that attaches to the mentioned sling swivels at each end of the gun. Each end of the strap then doubles back through a buckle at each end. There is also a black shoulder pad sewn to the strap at the mid~point.

The black padded sling was adopted in the 1980s for the M60. Before that the sling was identical to the OD M1 cotton webbing sling except much longer. This extra long sling was also adopted for the M14A1 but with an additional swivel clip to attatch to the forward horizontal grip.

BEAR

Roger - I still have one from when I was a gunner for a M224 60mm Mortar 88-90; the black '60 straps were used for "The Pig", spare barrel bags, the M249 & carrying the M224

Chris

The M~60 sling is a black nylon tape that attaches to the mentioned sling swivels at each end of the gun. Each end of the strap then doubles back through a buckle at each end. There is also a black shoulder pad sewn to the strap at the mid~point.