1938 Navy Good Conduct Medal

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

Just picked up a Navy Good Conduct Medal. Does anyone know when they changed from this style to the current style where the ribbon is gathered at the bottom. Engraved "Eugene Estes Parker 1938". This appears machine engraved and not the official engraving style I have seen. Any info would be appreciated.

post-1848-1335120807.jpgpost-1848-1335121060.jpg

aerialbridge

Hi Steve, I have a typical, '30's hand-engraved one with the sailor's name and date of 1939. So, it seems there was some transitional period where they were issuing both types. Adam R. would probably have the definitive answer to your question.

Edit- I typed the above before you posted scans of your medal. Mine is hand-engraved in the exact style as yours.

Steve,

The style engraving on your NGCM, (that of having only the sailor's name and year of discharge), began in fiscal year 1931-32. The primary reason for the change was the cost of engraving and the fact the Navy Department was working with Depression-era funding. The FY1931-32 budget for engraving allocated almost $1,700 for the engraving of appx. 325,000 individual LETTERS, not completed medals. Considering the number of letters per medal, the change from the extensive engraving previously done must have saved the Department many times that amount.

The Navy ordered the suspension of GCM awards early in WWII, however ships and shore stations were directed to still report sailors entitled to the medal, and apparently a master record was maintained until the end of the war, when medals began to be issued. It took years for some men (and women) to get their awards, and for the old salts, they often received them with multiple bars to bring them up to date. The post-war medals were all officially stamped with name and year of discharge, up to sometime in 1953. (If anyone has a later officially stamped NGCM, please let me know) Stamping was quicker and cheaper, in light of the number of medal awaiting naming. There is a variety of the NGCM with just the stamped name, without date. Those were issued to KIA's.

The medal style with the bottom bar for the ribbon was phased out around 1960, replaced with the gathered style in use since then.

What you have is the classic pre-WWII NGCM, very clean strike and with excellent obverse detail. An excellent example for any collection.

Bluejacket

• 10 years later...
Cody Watlington

Steve,

I created this account just so I could make this comment. Even though this post is now 10 years old, I hope this message reaches you! I am almost certain that the Navy Good Conduct Medal you possess is my Great Grandfather's medal. MSgt Eugene Estes Parker is my paternal great grandfather. He (along with myself) was from Birmingham, AL. He served in the Navy from 1934-1949, serving in WWII in the European and African theatre campaigns as a Chief Machinist's Mate (E-7). From there, he transferred service to the US Air Force in 1949 with the rank of Master Sergeant and served until his retirement in 1962. He passed away in 1996. Below is a picture of his medals and ribbons from his career.

I'm hoping that you still possess the medal today and it's really great that I stumbled upon this forum while conducting research on his military record. I am currently serving in the Air Force and since he is the only other member in my family to serve in the Air Force, I've been interested to learn more about his military career. His Good Conduct Medal is one of the few that I am currently missing from the medals and ribbons that were passed down to me by my grandfather (his son). The medals in the picture are just pictures of them. I'm not asking for you to hand it over since you likely purchased it. You're welcome to keep it but if you would like to offer it to me, I would gladly compensate you. 

You're welcome to message me directly if you have any comments or questions for me. Thanks for posting this!

Cody

369212606_EugeneE.ParkerMedals.jpg.dd5f821a50d4e2f718a9f691675a2312.jpg