Any way to preserve a WWII painted A2 jacket?

mmerc20

This is the last of the original A2 jackets I own (having sold the other two over the past few years). It was a beauty 70 years ago, that's for sure. I have an original photo of the owner showing it off (probably when he first got it) however it is in dire need of help.

I know you can not restore leather jackets but is there anything I can do to prevent further deteoriation? Luckily the painting on the back is not as bad as the front looks but I am afraid it will go that way if there is nothing I can do.

Right now, the only thing I can do to preserve it completely for the future is I am going to use this design to paint my replica A2. It is one of my favorites.

post-3373-1335062669.jpg

carbinephalen

I would definitely say keep it out of direct sunlight. Keep it away from heat. Keep it away from moisture.

However you chose to display it, try to evenly distribute the weight of the jacket over a larger surface area (i.e. keep it on a torso form an NOT on a hanger.)

All of these steps should help to slow down any degradation of the material!

Here is the jacket when it was new. It was quite impressive and I am planning on reproducing this on my A2. I remember there being a thread somewhere here on someone painting jackets, but I can't seem to find it.

Mike

post-3373-1335282278.jpg

• 4 weeks later...