Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knives.

Jack's Son

OK now I see where you were going. The guard is mild steel and clamping the knife in a vise, by the blade, the arms of the guard could easily be bent or hammered down. Unfortunately this often loosens the handle assembly and re-straightening it does not usually work out real well. Sometimes guards were bent accidently by men using the knives as throwing knives. A bad throw could bend the guard or tang, or break the blade. Many blades were also broken by prying open lids on cans or trying to cut open cans.

• 3 months later...

it is possible this is a lathe turned 3rd pattern handle that was then checkered and the grooves cut in. It is also possible it was made that way for Indonesian forces. Does it look like the top nut has been removed? Plier or vise grip marks on the brass nut? What is the diameter on the main body of the handle? That might tell me more. An interesting find for sure.

It has a couple casting holes. Looking closer it looks like brass or copper. Milling was done after, not part of the casting. Painted afterwards.

post-164571-0-35285800-1496620289_thumb.jpgpost-164571-0-35285800-1496620289_thumb.jpg

its really odd how they used two knurling tools?? I have not seen a knife like this before although the blade and guard appear to be standard British F-S parts. The more I study these the more odd ball versions I find!

I am pretty sure the wider bolster at the guard is the remnant of the original 3rd pattern handle and the rest was turned down to the smaller diameter. That's a lot of work and makes the handle quite small for gripping. Anyway nice find. I forgot to mention, based on the finish of the blade and guard it is a WW-II knife probably made in 1943-45.

Here is a comparison photo. The nut is much larger than your typical 3rd type?

The 2nd type on the right is a J I Marshall.blade. Corroded but readable, full blade.

post-164571-0-19473000-1496717048_thumb.jpg

if you take a look at this page of my website you will see that although this large top nut is less common, it is found on a lot of 3rd pattern knives. Maybe one specific maker? OK, I cannot get the link to work. Go to my site at fairbairn sykes fighting knives.com Under the page on "minutiae" scroll down to "top nuts" and you'll find examples.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
blackhawkdown

Can someone double check this FS knife for me? I just got it and I moved this year and all my books are still packed.

I believe it is t Type 3 and marked Sheffield England, it came with no scabbard. The handle seems to not be brass, there is no other marking or broad arrow mark. Is it WW@ mfg?

post-166668-0-04019200-1552573748.jpg

The cross guards also get thinner on post war knives.

Same for blade thickness and overall finnish is less quality on post war knives.

• 1 month later...

Im guessing someone made minis of the Marine Raider(far left) as the pommel looks like a raider knife to me

The middle may be a OOS stilletto or 2nd pattern SF and the last is a 3rd Pattern SF.

Why??? any ones guess is as good as it gets

Im guessing someone made minis of the Marine Raider(far left) as the pommel looks like a raider knife to me

The middle may be a OOS stilletto or 2nd pattern SF and the last is a 3rd Pattern SF.

Why??? any ones guess is as good as it gets

I guess we cant be sure but I sure do like them?