Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knives.

Jack's Son

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Charlie Flick

The latest issue of Knife World has an interesting and well done article on the F-S Knives of WW2. It is a two part series with the second to follow next issue. I forgot to note the name of the author. I will try to remember to make note of that and will post it here.

Regards,

Charlie

The latest issue of Knife World has an interesting and well done article on the F-S Knives of WW2. It is a two part series with the second to follow next issue. I forgot to note the name of the author. I will try to remember to make note of that and will post it here.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie,

The author of the article is my friend Roy Shadbolt. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/Home.html

I bought the MacDonald knife direct from him. He is a great guy to deal with. He and I are working together on a paper about FS knives. Roy Shadbolt is also a super guy to buy from. I have gotten several rare originals from him as well as more common knives. You can see some of them on my website www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com

Charlie Flick

Charlie,

The author of the article is my friend Roy Shadbolt. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/Home.html

Yes, GB, Roy Shadbolt was the author whose name I failed to recall. He did a very nice job on the article.

I have a few F-S knives in my collection but have not studied them much since my focus is primarily US. I did not realize that the author of the article was so renowned in the field, but indeed he is which perhaps explains why the KW article was so worthwhile.

Regards,

Charlie

thanks Gunbarrel. It has been a real fun time sharing our knives with people and getting them out to photograph. Some of the gerbers (and such) need better photos but all in good time. We have been very lucky to acquire some very rare knives in the past 3 years.

militariaone

Anyone have any experience with the Fairbairn and OSS replicas made by MacDonald Arms in Scotland?

http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/forsale.php

Jim

Greetings Jim,

Here’s a comparison shot of two of the Macdonald Armouries knives purchased directly from them with two originals of the same patterns. Quality of finish on the Pattern #1 is a little nicer than on the Pattern #2 I received. Both are very well made and would presumably perform as well as their original counterparts.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-82726300-1398562461.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys just wondering if any one could tell me whether this fairbain sykes is real or not as it has no markings on it?

Cheers Steve

post-120122-0-81827000-1403453919.jpg

post-120122-0-47334500-1403453976.jpg

Yes it appears to be a legitimate WW-II knife but I am not sure by whom. Usually if it is a Wilkinson there are obvious etches. Otherwise usually a nickel plated one is marked ^56.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I found this fairbain sykes knife for sale however it has a serrated blade. I was wondering if this is a fake or did they really put serrations on some of the fairbain sykes knives?

Cheers Steve

post-120122-0-02919200-1406548844.jpg

post-120122-0-15006100-1406548856.jpg

post-120122-0-89067000-1406548864.jpg

someone added them at a later date the only ones that came with serrations were the AlMar knives made in the 1980s??

someone added them at a later date the only ones that came with serrations were the AlMar knives made in the 1980s??

And the AlMars that I have seen where all serrated down towards the ricasso area.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm posting my question here, because I thought it would be the right place.I took a closer look on the etchings of some the Wilkinson F-S knives and I wondered what is the reason that some etchings are very deep and the other ones are looking as if they were engraved.Could this be a result of earlier or later manufacturing ? I asking, because I think the knives with the deeper etching are more desirable.Any help would be appreciated.Sorry for the bad pictures but I hope you can see what I mean.

doughboy

post-15200-0-49558300-1433009389.jpg

post-15200-0-49572000-1433009401.jpg

post-15200-0-61387200-1433009411.jpg

post-15200-0-91724000-1433009411.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm posting my question here, because I thought it would be the right place.I took a closer look on the etchings of some the Wilkinson F-S knives and I wondered what is the reason that some etchings are very deep and the other ones are looking as if they were engraved.Could this be a result of earlier or later manufacturing ? I asking, because I think the knives with the deeper etching are more desirable.Any help would be appreciated.Sorry for the bad pictures but I hope you can see what I mean.

doughboy

Yes. Different etchings were done throughout Wilkinson's history. I don't believe any were engraved. Here's some references:

http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/blade-etches.html

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Etched_Blade.html

• 2 weeks later...