Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knives.

Jack's Son

DSchlagan

Thank you JS for your work on beginning/development of this thread; extremely informational!!

Am also glad to note the involvement/input of many/several Forum members.

I concur that the F/S design, not only influenced WWII knives, but the hitherto generations of fighting knives, since.

Not the least of such, is the recognized design basis, for the highly coveted CASE V-42.

Both Fairbairn and Sykes are also responsible for CQC techniques that are still being taught, to this day; anywhere between "Basic" and/including "SWCS" (and other SFs).

Neither advocate anything close to the "Marquess of Queensberry rules"; actually far from it.

"Fight to live and survive" ...rid yourself of the opponent, no matter what 'techniques' might be employed.

The F/S knife was not designed to skin deer/or as a general utility knife.

Every aspect was designed for CQC.

Best Regards,

Don.

Jack's Son

Don,

Thank you for stopping by. As perhaps the Forum's most talented designer and craftsman of knives, your comments are appreciated.

I am happy that you point out that the design techniques used by Misters Fairbairn and Sykes are still influential in combat knives, and the fighting skills developed by these men are, do some degree, still used by armies of the world.

Although I make this statement with all prejudice intended, I too believe that the V-42 is considered the cream of American fighting knives!

Thanks for your supportive comments!

Bob Hudson

This thread would not be complete without showing some excerpts from W.E.B. Griffin's THE CORPS, the book that introduced me to the FS daggers:

babyfairbairn.jpg

babyfairbairn2.jpg

craig_pickrall

JS great thread! I don'tknow how I missed this earlier.

I would like to add this one in hopes of learning something about my unknown knife. The knife on the right is not a WW2 era knife but is later production. The label is in error.

post-5-1336185605.jpg

post-5-1336185612.jpg

Jack's Son
JS great thread! I don'tknow how I missed this earlier.

I would like to add this one in hopes of learning something about my unknown knife. The knife on the right is not a WW2 era knife but is later

production. The label is in error.

Craig,

Are there any maerings on the knife blade?

Can you remove the handle and check the tang?

craig_pickrall

There are no markings of any type. The tang has a nut on it but it has some rust. I am affraid if I try to unscrew it that something might break.

I'm guessing this is theater made and not a production knife. I would just like to hear that someone has seen one like it. I got it from my ex-wife's aunt. She had 3 brothers in WW2 and it came from one of them. She had no idea of history on it. She and her brothers are long deceased now so I can't ask them.

Jack's Son

Craig,

F-S daggers were originally cut from WWI bayonets, so the style of your knife is similar. Without any markings, I too would say it is a theater made knife.

Perhaps others can help you track down more information.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
GeneralLucas
William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes collaborated to design a fighting knife for the Shanghai Municipal Police force in 1917.

"Fairbairn joined the British Royal Marines at the age of 15, and was very skilled with fighting with bayonets. He won the annual championships for the military. 1917 he resigned and started to work with Shanghai Municipal Police force, (SMP). This was a police force for the international colony in Shanghai. At that time Shanghai was considered to be the most dangerous place in the world. He was once attacked by a gang of Tong members in the red light district. They left him on the ground more dead than alive. He was lucky and survived.

In 1921 he became inspector and in charge for the training in man to man fighting and fighting with small arms. 1935 he became assistant chief of the police with SMP.

He started a special attack unit in Shanghai for riots called Reserve Unite. This unit was the first SWAT team (Special Weapons And Tactics team) in the world.

Eric ”Bill” Sykes, came from an upper middle class family and his family. He had been an officer at a sniping unit during the Great War. He worked with a security company in Shanghai which selling small arms. This company was run by the British Secrete Service, Here in Shanghai he met Fairbairn. They became very good friends.

It was here in Shanghai 1931 they started to develop a new type of knives. The knives were made at the Shanghai Municipal Police (SMP) Armory. It was under the supervision of a former White Russian Colonel, Nicholas Solntseff, his staff made knives on a custom basis for U.S.M.C. officers and others.

A young US Marines officer - Second Lt. Samuel Sylvester Yeaton (1907 - 1979) was also involved in the composition of Shanghai knife. His correspondence with his family gives good information about these early activities. His brother Prof. Kelly Yeaton has written a book about this called

The First Commando Knives".*

From this beginning, the evolution of a new brand of Fighting Knife was created. Unarguably, this style of knife would be the predecessor of all of the great Fighting Knives of WWII's Elite Fighting Forces. The F-S style knive is still in production, although it has become more of a Collector's item and a status symbol since the Vietnam War.

Fighting Knives that have been spawn from the F-S style are the V-42, and the Marine Raider Stiletto. Both of these Knives, as well as other F-S models have been used by American, British and Canadian and other Commonwealth Forces during WWII and after.

Please add your F-S Knives and History to the thread.

*"The First Commando Knives" http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/s...anghaiknife.htm

I'm picking up for GeneralLucas......

Your knife is very similar to a knife pictured on page 49 of Buerlien's "Allied Military Fighting Knives...." As the book describes, the handle is made of various alloy, and is cast onto the blade. No pummel bolt is needed.

post-8213-1340853627.jpg post-8213-1340853619.jpg

I would like to add this one in hopes of learning something about my unknown knife.

post-70-1341311356.jpg

Craig,

Your knife, or rather one just like it, is shown on p. 70 - Plate (pic) 159 of Ron Flook's "British and Commonwealth Military Knives." The handle is made of ebony, and yours appears to be missing the metal ferrule on the pommel. It came originally with a regular F/S sheath. Since other specimens have been observed, it is not a theater knfe; it's a factory-made knife.

Hope this helps.

craig_pickrall

GB, thanks very much for the info. Now the big question is the sheath I guess.

Jack's Son
GB, thanks very much for the info. Now the big question is the sheath I guess.

Craig, what information did GB share?

Now the big question is the sheath I guess.

Craig,

Original F/S sheaths can't take much abuse and exposure to the elements; that's why he probably made (or, had made) the theater one.

Glad I could be of help.

I just ran across this thread, and I have one knife to add.

Here is my cast-handled F-S version that I picked up last summer. Fatter casting than Raider stilettos and no maker marks. The blade has old oil crusted on the blade and came in a M8 scabbard with the belt attachment filed off.

-Johannes

post-9214-1341499659.jpg

• 1 month later...

Question: I see Fairbairns advertised as being currently manufactured in Sheffield by Nowill & Sons. I know that Nowill is a very old Brit company, but am skeptical that these knives may be made by someone under contract to Nowill or that a company has purchased the Nowill name. They do have the MOD crowsfoot (don't they all...?) and also have a D diamond and crossed keys.

Any opinions on these knives, and are they any better quality than the many other copies available?

Thanks

jim