F.H. Noble wing ?

John Cooper

John Cooper

I may be wrong but these look very much like those posted in the link below. Although the fittings are a bit different and mine is not marked please note the similarities in the reverse with that of post number #24 I would like your opinions - Thanks!

BTW this wing weighs 25.3g

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...130597&st=0 (Please read)

post-227-1334967803.jpg

post-227-1334967813.jpg

Hi John,

They look like a similar obverse design (with maybe some of the larger outer weak feather detail present on the Noble examples missing on this one) and the chunky campfered block at the hinge end of the pin is similar but the reverse of the wings are different to both the marked Noble examples and the unmarked example with similar Noble hardware in the other thread. As you look at the reverse, note that on the Noble marked wings the top edges of the wing, the area where the wing curves in to join the shield and the top of the shield itself are very thin. On the unmarked wing I have, the reverse outline of the shield is very different. Given the similarities between your wing and the others in the other thread, I'd GUESS your wing is a later example with yet another reverse die involved.

Well, those were my first impressions anyway! Instead of deleting them.....

I just pulled out a pair of AECo wings and I think they are a very good match to the unmarked wings in this thread. Note that the AECo shield design is not quite as tall, a little bit wider/squatter and it has thin vertical lines between the raised flat vertical stripes, whereas the Noble pattern have no thin vertical lines between the raised flat vertical stripes. The shield on this wing is a exceptionally good match to the AECo design. So now I'm guessing this may be an earlier AECo pattern (not necessarily AECo made) wing.

Regards

Mike

John Cooper

Mike thanks for the reply - I agree they are not an exact match... but the AE Co comparision just does not seem to fit. I pulled out an AE Co wing to do a quick compare on the one I had handy.

I will let the photo do the talking but note that the AE Co weighs 18g vs. 25.3g. What are the weights on yours?

I agree with you on this being an early wing based just on its specifics as compared to WW2 produced wings. Maybe some other can chime in to shed some light on this chunky wing :)

post-227-1335043273.jpg

Hi John,

Not the later AECo, the earlier AECo!

Here are the 2 Noble pattern and 2 AECo patterns in the same scan. Note the difference between the Noble and AECo pattern shields (size and details).

Re weights, that's mainly going to be a product of thicknesses. I've added the weights of my examples and it turns out the earlier AECo is by far the heaviest of those in question. I tried for and edge scan as well.

For me, your wing still matches the AECo pattern rather than the Noble pattern.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1335069050.jpg

John Cooper

This is a tough one for me Mike... it may not be a Noble but I really donet think it is an AE Co either. The feathering details are not right and to my eye the shoulders are different. Maybe some other folks have some ideas..?

Cheers

John

• 7 years later...
5thwingmarty

I know this is a very old thread, but since it never really got resolved I thought I would weigh in. I think John's un-hallmarked wing may be from Josten. Here are photos of mine for comparison.

post-96854-0-44379300-1556563091_thumb.jpg