3rd ID Helmet w/ Provenance

Tom Kibler

The helmet is exactly as I got it. I assumed the horizontal bar "was" a FOLLOW-ME NCO bar. I've never heard before that they were not used....

I dont say is it a fake !! The "follow- me" bar were not used on ETO by the 3rd, 36th and 45 th ID.

Only the divisions which are crossed by England had adopted this "fashion", not like the divisions which are spent by the MTO (Africa/Italy)

So it's why i would know what was the purpose of that white line :rolleyes:

interesting question are you sure about that do you have some photos to prove this evidence?

Hi, in more 30 years of study about 3rd infantry division, I have never seen that use of 'follow-mee" paintings on M1 helmets. You can look at many photos, you will not find anything about it !

I'm sure on my knowledge, that's why that helmet is more interesting... :w00t:

Heres mine.Direct vet purchase along with his uniform and unit history.

Has white stripe to the front,matching liner and a yellow inverted reversed L on the revers.Havent figured out the significance of the back marking.

post-342-1335577281.jpg

post-342-1335577349.jpg

Moonlight Gecko

Some great helmets in this thread! Here is a picture of 3rd division soldiers with various markings on the back. One looks like painted V while others are vertical bars and angled bars. Are these 7th Regiment markings also? Or a different regiment?

post-339-1335596037.jpg

LetsGo82nd

Wow! That is an incredible find. Congrats that helmet is awesome, glad to hear that the veteran made it through the war. -Jeremy

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd share it again. I was able to get all of the vets history and information. However, I'm at work and don't have it committed to memory.... Getting old sucks.

Back at home now, this helmet belonged to T-5 Ora W. Wiley 15th Regiment. Wiley died in the early 1960's and this helmet was passed through the family.

post-6293-0-43687500-1563323409_thumb.jpg

Burning Hazard

Interesting how the 3rd ID had their own tac marks on the reverse.

Here's one from footage, a lightning bolt:

post-8715-0-88690700-1563327120_thumb.jpg

interesting question are you sure about that do you have some photos to prove this evidence?

How does somebody provide photos to prove that something didn't exist...in this case, that the 3rd ID didn't use follow me bars?

Great helmet! Miss this thread the first time around.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

How does somebody provide photos to prove that something didn't exist...in this case, that the 3rd ID didn't use follow me bars?

You post a picture of the back of every time ed OD helmet every made. ;)

Wow. what an awesome helmet!

(and I have an officer helmet from a guy that was with the 36th in Italy that used the follow me stripe on both the helmet and the hawley liner... so I guess never say never)