USMC China photos and Paperwork

collector

I have really come to appreciate Chinese embroidery. The things I have gathered from former China Marines, while nice, does not compare to such a finely made object as you have posted. The detail in the dragon and the level of detail is just amazing to me. I am glad it will be well cared fo in your fine collection! I know missionaries, diplomats, and other visitors bought high quality embroidery, but i suspect most of it was "off the rack" vice this truly unique custom item.

I have really come to appreciate Chinese embroidery. The things I have gathered from former China Marines, while nice, does not compare to such a finely made object as you have posted. The detail in the dragon and the level of detail is just amazing to me. I am glad it will be well cared fo in your fine collection! I know missionaries, diplomats, and other visitors bought high quality embroidery, but i suspect most of it was "off the rack" vice this truly unique custom item.

I wish you could check it out first hand, it has examples of the so-called 'forbidden stitch', gold thread on the dragons, and the rest silk.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a shot (cropped) taken in China and he is holding an item I can't identify. Perhaps something from the Chinese government for service in their country?

I know there was a medal given from the Nationalist Chinese to American servicemen. One of the men under my father's command got a hold of me before the Marine died and told me he was sorry to hear of my father's death, and how he was pleased to have served with him. During the talk he mentioned a medal he received from the Chinese for his service there, and had my father ever gotten one. If he did he never wore it, and I have not found it.

post-1414-0-39524700-1575495328_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Dirk. Here's the marks. The only character I recognize is the top one, shan for mountain. It's easy to look up English hallmarks, but I have no luck with this one.

post-1414-0-44785900-1584731842_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hand drawn map sent to me by George Clark, he got it from Col. Hank Aplington.

He was going to publish Aplington's China memoir, Sunset in the East, but apparently ran into some snags.

My father was XO to Col. Aplington in China.

This shows the area of operation of the 7th Marines in North China.

post-1414-0-96892400-1586654375_thumb.jpg