USMC China photos and Paperwork

collector

that's an awesome pic of Col Ditta in 1960. You can see that, despite the M56 emblem having been introduced four years prior, he has still opeted to wear his M37 H&H emblems

I was hoping someone would notice things like that and pass them on, it's very informative. I have some of his insignia and ribbons, as well as his full size medals, the dress EGAs are resting with him at Arlington.

jeremiahcable

A couple of very nice photos! Notice that he has embroidered ribbons on in his green? The stars on them are also upside down, a naval service tradition that has sadly died out. The Lt. Colonel is also wearing an oak leaf on his field cap, a very cool feature. Good going!

Here's some paperwork from Col. Ditta's service in China. Later I'll post some more photos.

This is the Amplification of Mission for the Seventh Marines in North China. Click on it to enlarge.

post-1414-1199850834.jpg

This one is out of sequence, it's his asignment as CO of the 2/7 in China, and a shot of the command post railcar. As usual, click to enlarge.

More pictures to come when I get time.

post-1414-1199852072.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Still have some items for this thread, but it's going slowly. Here's a shot nicely labeled, haven't found any info on the incident or the Col. Tai, but am still looking.

post-1414-1249932653.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread! Even since reading China Marine by Eugene Sledge this chapter of USMC history is very interesting to me!

Thanks for sharing this with us,

-Steve

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This is Japanese issued 'Invasion Money' or 'Puppet Government" money, substituted for the Phillipines's own currency. This was issued in 1943.

Added this by mistake but the program will not let me delete it.

post-1414-0-17191300-1571071049_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

During his stay in China my father was given this Dragon robe. It is covered in Taoist symbolism as well as the traditional dragon robe symbols.This is not the more commonly seen theater robe, a pale imitation of the real ones. This would have been worn my a man, and the color would have indicated his rank

The owner of this robe begged my father to save it, since he believed that the communists would take over and have no respect for the objects of the old ways. If any of you know anything about the Cultural Revolution of the 60s and 70s, you know how right the robe's owner was.

Below is more info on these:

Court robes symbolize the cosmic order. The wavy stripes at the bottom of the robe represent the sea. Groups of prism-shaped rocks rise from the water at the front, back, and sides of the robe. These represent the earth and the four directions. Above these peaks, nine dragons fly among colored clouds. The dragon is the emblem of the masculine (yang) element and hence of the emperor. The central front dragon encircles a flaming orb known as the Pearl of Wisdom. Scattered among the clouds on this robe are the symbolic implements of the Eight Taoist Immortals and other symbols of longevity, indicating the robe was made for a birthday celebration. The collar of the robe symbolizes the Gate of Heaven. The wearer’ s head completes the cosmic order by surmounting the symbols of the mortal world.

Following are four shots of the robe.

post-1414-0-45121000-1573844769_thumb.jpg