M20 Stipled Collar Emblem

Brig

found this at the Raleigh show for 30 bucks. M20 dress blue collar emblem, missing the roller. The globe has plenty of stipling. There are no markings on the rear, but the retaining pin appears to have been filed down by the original owner. The chest of the eagle is also either filed or very well worn, but only there. Any ideas why this would have been done? This emblem is very similar to the English made one in my collection, with the sharp wings, but the globe is less 'bulbous'

post-22-1202101860.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Tim a great find... got your $'s worth on this one too. It has been said these examples were done by sea-going Marines. They would hand stempled the dress emblems to reflect what seas they had traveled. A wonderful example of an issue emblem that was neatly personalized... don't clean it the verdigris is classic. s/f Darrell

I've heard the each dot would represent one country visiting, but this is way too many dots...

I never clean the EGAs. I love the patinas

teufelhunde.ret
I've heard the each dot would represent one country visiting, but this is way too many dots...

I too have heard that story... but have not seen an example that would lend itself to that description... perhaps Bob & or Gary have an example in their older collections?

Very nice piece, Brig! Quite exotic. I don't have one like it (or its mate, unfortunately). With this amount of "detail" it must have been worn only on Liberty away from the "authorities". Would never have passed inspection!

Congrats....Semper Fi......Bobgee

yes, I, too, wish it had been with its mate. or at least had a roller. Oh well, can't beat the price!

nice stipled clipped wing. from the wear of that bird, I'd say its seen some use. Also, having heard that the clipped wing was more common with sea-going Marines, and the story of those on ship stipling, your piece seems to go along and help add some validity to the theory