Monthly Single Figure old fashioned throw-down.

kammo-man

Lords , Ladies and Gentlemen,

After reading a great thread the idea struck me hard and fast .....................

Let each and every member if they care and dare to submit a SINGLE figure to a competition judged by their peers on a vote basis to win the Victory Garland for the most outstanding figure of the month.

Submissions will only be accepted by donating members only.

Votes will be counted by donating members only.

The figure must be a dummy ..just like us all..... or as its known in Europe a mannequin.

Subject matter is up to you.

Each month there shall be a new winner based on voting numbers.

One winner per ,month.

All winners will then be entered in the annual "Historical figure of the year " to find the most popular impression from the 12 winners.

Both novice and advanced are encouraged to play the game as each and every effort has the same chance of winning the Garland.

Voting shall close on the 20th of each month.

Winner announced 21st.

Game on again on 22nd.

sound like something fun?

Lets go !

owen

carbinephalen

I LOVE it!!! Let a mod set up the initial thread each month maybe in the display category. Maybe all submissions must be in by the 15th and then voting starts that day and goes on until the 20th?

So the displays and votes aren't mixed together?

Let's do it! Mods, call each other on your Red Telephones and make this one happen! :lol:

All winners will then be entered in the annual "Historical figure of the year " to find the most popular impression from the 12 winners.

Maybe for the winner of the historical figure of the year, a ribbon bar like the donation ribbon can be created and added to the winner's signature.

CNY Militaria

I posted this on the other thread, but will here as well:

I think there is a lot more too it than listed here.

How do we define "single figure" as well as criteria to judge the winner?

Are we looking at the actual set up of the display, or what the content is?

If I post a WWII Army Enlisted uniform to a medic that never left the States, how does that compare to the member who posts Patton's Ike jacket? Does my item honestly have a chance? Again, goes back to the first question.

I think that without any criteria, the voting population will automatically vote for the "coolest" items. Some collectors on this board would likely be hesitant to post for that reason alone.

Just my $.02 and I am playing devil's advocate. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. Just want to make sure we are clear about what we are planning before executing.

Justin

PS: The senior mods had this discussion in 2007; It never materialized, but some of the concerns I wrote above were voiced.

Corpl. Cleaver
The figure must be a dummy ..just like us all..... or as its known in Europe a mannequin.

Sooo.... if you don't have a mannequin, then you can't play??

Well have fun with that, I'm out...

Tyler

what ever works best for all of us to play lads!!!!

It will keep us all on our collecting toes .....

I think making one will help ....just like Arches Wife just did.... counts ?

owen

Corpl. Cleaver
I think making one will help ....just like Arches Wife just did.... counts ?

owen

That was just a torso. And with my budget noway can I afford a full dummy. And I'm sure that goes for many others on here.

Tyler

carbinephalen

Also.....I don't believe that it will turn into a "most expensive item = the winner" contest.

Think about it....

If you have a mannequin that you display outside in the foliage (hedgerow maybe anyone? :thumbsup:) with spent ammo cases (CHEAP can be picked up at any gun range for free under the sun) a rifle laying beside it, sepia toned or black and white like an original WWII era photo...

Hell yeah I'd vote for that one over a SSM/PH 4-pocket displayed boringly on a mannequin in a militaria room.

Creativity goes a looooong way folks! The more time and energy you put into making a display the more interesting it will be.

I think this is a great idea. It'll certainly help all of us refine and improve our displays. Maybe the Admin and Mods can hammer out some rules.

2ndInf.Div.
I think this is a great idea. It'll certainly help all of us refine and improve our displays. Maybe the Admin and Mods can hammer out some rules.

This is a fantastic idea! But as CNY and a few others mentioned, there are a few problems. This is just my opinion, but what if we had displays for various eras rather than throwing them all together? And then the winners of those could go on to challenge displays of other eras? Dummies are also a bit of a problem. Do we want torsos or full mannequins? I support this fully, but I (and I'm sure others as well) believe we need to work out the do's and don'ts. Overall, a great idea! :thumbsup:

AAF_Collection

Tyler raises a good point about not everyone having a dummy/torso,I had to give most of mine up when I moved into a smaller house,but looking on such as ebay in your local area can turn them up at a very good price.

I'm not sure there's a need to differentiate between a full dummy and a torso,I've seen some equally great displays on here with both. I'm already planning my entry but it might take awhile to complete.

Matt.

Corpsmancollector
All I have are torsos also....It just means that you have to get creative people! C'mon now!

Definitely. I have a torso, a foam head and I'm definitely in! :thumbsup:

As Arch said, this will be a great way for us all to get creative and refine our displays.

I don't think we need to make this overly complicated, I don't think members will just vote for the 'coolest' item as we're all into different areas of collecting. Great idea about the signature ribbon too :thumbsup:

Let's go!

Will

I was shopping in the Ralph Lauren store at Woodbury Common, NY, last August when I stopped a young female sales assistant and said something like "Excuse me miss, where can I find jackets like that one on the dummy", indicating what I meant as I spoke. She convulsed with laughter!! :lol2: Obviously, being an American, to her "a dummy" meant an idiot. In the UK it's what we call mannequins/torsos! When she'd calmed down I explained this to her. Two nations...divided by a common language! :lol:

craig_pickrall

For those that don't have a "dummy" why don't you try using a live friend of the correct size? Better be sure they look the part of a correct soldier of the era though. No long hair, pony tails, beards, etc.

Corpl. Cleaver
For those that don't have a "dummy" why don't you try using a live friend of the correct size? Better be sure they look the part of a correct soldier of the era though. No long hair, pony tails, beards, etc.

Okay, cool. Do we have to stand in weird stiff poses?? haha

I think if the Admin/Mod staff can put together some good solid rules, then this could be pretty good.

Tyler

craig_pickrall

This is kammo-man's idea and poll. It is up to him to make the rules and create the poll. If he needs MOD / ADMIN assistance to do something then all he has to do is ask.

craig_pickrall
I rent by the hour!!! :lol:

Does this mean you are going to shave and get a GI haircut?

Does this mean you are going to shave and get a GI haircut?

Oh!......Can't we just photoshop those things to fit the occasion?? :ermm:

craig_pickrall

If you are okay with the members here photoshopping your photo then have at it. I don't think I would sign on for a lot of that though. Can you imagine what you will look like posted all over the net?