The best stuff to use is "four ought" (0000) steel wool. It's the finest grade available, and will remove the gloss without leaving any scratches. I wouldn't recommend using scotchbrite or any coarse steel wool.

If we were talking about removing 'whatever' residue from blued-steel, then yes, I would very much agree to use 4 ought.

Being that these walnut grips have likely been completely refinished with varnish, the use of (0000) can result in just another highly polished surface.

Though it certainly could be recommendable to start w/4 ought, to notice results, then incrementally 'work into' the courser grades of steel wool, if desired.

If one wishes to get rid of that "refinished wood look", I would recommend 'breaking through' the varnish w/(00), and perhaps a follow-up with (000). You might be surprised at just how fine of a finish that 2 ought will produce on wood, all by itself.

After removing varnish layer, the hand-rubbing of the grips (with your then slightly dirty and oily hands) will produce a finish that will look much the same as illustrated in the photo of thorin6's. This technique acts as a stain.

A light application of boiled linseed oil (mixed 60:40 with mineral spirits), can then serve as a nice protective finish.

...Although, apply too many coats, and buff in between, and your kinda back to where you started ...glossy finish. (Keep in mind that BLO is the main ingredient in traditional varnish.)

While there are many grades of ScotchBrite pads made, the most commonly available "green" (grits are color coded) is a little too aggressive for this purpose.

Don.

'No matter what the question ...the answer is always Clausewitz.'

'A nation's strength is defined not by the size of its army, but by whether it means what it says.' Prussian MG C.P.G. von Clausewitz

* The MER of an excuse is zero meters.*

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience." GA Omar N. Bradley

"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key." PM Winston Churchill

donation2011.gif

If you are trying to get varnish off, I have used Minwax antique furniture refinisher with great results. I have used it on Garand and M1 Carbine stocks. Leaves wood looking good and even was easy on the cartouches. Then BLO or Tung oil.

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Good suggestion, hink441; especially in regard to leaving cartouches (and also detail such as checkering, pretty much intact: ...save your old toothbrushes!! ;) )

Although I've always thought highly of Minwax products, I honestly hadn't even considered the use of a 'paint-stripper', due to several objectionable results, dozens of years ago. (I have never tried the "Minwax antique furniture refinisher", though.)

Paint-strippers, in general, all still seem to "raise-the-grain", and require the use of 'whatever-grit' abrasive, from my experience.

I have since just 'cut-to-the-chase', and get rid of surface finish, with purpose-attenuated abrasive.

Actually, a good grade of automotive lacquer thinner will cut through most any surface finish quite quickly. (Don't get the cheap "wash-grade" hardware store variety ...it is mainly acetone, and nowhere near as good.)

Combined with steel wool and perhaps a very-fine bristle brass/bronze brush; it can be most effective for detail, as well.

Lacquer thinner won't raise woodgrain to much any degree, either ...just kinda 'melts'/dissolves the finish off, through "hot" solvent action.

Regards,

Don.

'No matter what the question ...the answer is always Clausewitz.'

'A nation's strength is defined not by the size of its army, but by whether it means what it says.' Prussian MG C.P.G. von Clausewitz

* The MER of an excuse is zero meters.*

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience." GA Omar N. Bradley

"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key." PM Winston Churchill

donation2011.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My other 1917 Colt with original holster.Have the belt and pouch also but have it packed away.

post-342-1335838316.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

post-342-1335838421.jpg

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

1917 Smith & Wesson

post-342-1335838475.jpg

In Memoriam:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.