Picked this up last weekend.Been looking for another for a while and have missed a couple from on line..Was nice as I could handle this one in person and there was no paper work or shipping issues. :thumbsup: .Its a brother to one I have had for several years and I was looking to upgrade with a better condition one.Its been fired but well cared for and the finnish overall is fairly nice.Pretty late WW1 era production.My other one came with original holster,belt etc.

post-342-1334727101.jpg

post-342-1334727113.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

That's a beauty Ron, nice pick up! Been wanting to add one to my collection for some time. She looks in great shape! :thumbsup:

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Thanks Chris and Will.

This one has the rim inside the cylinder wells and can be fired with or with out the half moon clips.Just wont eject the cases with out the clips.have to use a cleaning rod to push them out.I may have to go shoot the other one I have,been wanting to but just havent gotten it done.I have a Smith M1917 also but its seen some poor storage.Pretty pitted in some areas and heavy rust.Still real clean bore.I figures it was stored in a wet holster possibly??May take a pic and post it as well.

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Ron

Congratulations on another beauty. Looking forward to see the picture of your Smith also, perhaps both in the same picture.

Tony

Thanks Tony

I will get a group shot of them posted.

In Memoriam:

You always find the neat stuff. I should E-mail you my wish list and maybe you can find stuff for me. Robert

....As long as you send a blank check !!!! :lol:

THanks Robert but it kinda broke the bank :pinch:

Been seeing a lot of neat stuff but the funds wont cover my habit

In Memoriam:

Very nice looking pistol. I have never fired a M1917 but I hear they are a real handful!

Chris

It's been a while since I fired mine, but I recall that it wasn't any worse than one of my M1911A1s. The real pain was getting the expended shells out of the half-moon clips. I had some of the .45 rimmed rounds that were great to shoot, they ejected fine without using a cleaning rod but they are hard to find.

Colt1917LS.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Thanks Ronnie

In Memoriam:

RD,

Very nice indeed! :thumbsup:

Thanks JS

In Memoriam:

It's been a while since I fired mine, but I recall that it wasn't any worse than one of my M1911A1s. The real pain was getting the expended shells out of the half-moon clips. I had some of the .45 rimmed rounds that were great to shoot, they ejected fine without using a cleaning rod but they are hard to find.

Colt1917LS.jpg

Thorin

Thats a sharp looking 17.

I have thought about replacing the stocks onmine.They look like the may have ben sanded the varnished possibly.

In Memoriam:

Thorin

I have thought about replacing the stocks onmine.They look like the may have ben sanded the varnished possibly.

Before you replace them, take them off and see if the SN is written in pencil on the backside; if so, they are original to the pistol and you probably wouldn't want to replace them.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Thorin

Before you replace them, take them off and see if the SN is written in pencil on the backside; if so, they are original to the pistol and you probably wouldn't want to replace them.

Both very nice M1917s!! :thumbsup:

Ron,

It does appear that the grips on yours were likely refinished.

You could use 2 or 3 ought (00, 000) steel wool to remove the gloss from the varnish, and regain towards original patina.

Just a reasonably light 'rub'* with the steel wool, inline with the grain, is all that is necessary to knock-down the sheen towards a subdued satin.

*(Take it, incrementally, down a little further if you want to get some "aged-color" back into the walnut.)

Re-install the grips, and 'twist' the grip in your hand, for a while; the oil from your palm will do the rest. When oiling down the pistol, a very light application of weapons oil can also help.

I used to do very similar in my cabinetwork, to get a satin finish, in the days when only (gloss) varnish was predominately available as a surface finish; then complete with a special wax.

With the relatively recent advent of modern polyurethane finishes, (in satin, semi, and full gloss), this technique is not used so much.

Kind Regards,

Don.

'No matter what the question ...the answer is always Clausewitz.'

'A nation's strength is defined not by the size of its army, but by whether it means what it says.' Prussian MG C.P.G. von Clausewitz

* The MER of an excuse is zero meters.*

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience." GA Omar N. Bradley

"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key." PM Winston Churchill

donation2011.gif

Both very nice M1917s!! :thumbsup:

Ron,

It does appear that the grips on yours were likely refinished.

You could use 2 or 3 ought (00, 000) steel wool to remove the gloss from the varnish, and regain towards original patina.

Just a reasonably light 'rub'* with the steel wool, inline with the grain, is all that is necessary to knock-down the sheen towards a subdued satin.

*(Take it, incrementally, down a little further if you want to get some "aged-color" back into the walnut.)

Re-install the grips, and 'twist' the grip in your hand, for a while; the oil from your palm will do the rest. When oiling down the pistol, a very light application of weapons oil can also help.

I used to do very similar in my cabinetwork, to get a satin finish, in the days when only (gloss) varnish was predominately available as a surface finish; then complete with a special wax.

With the relatively recent advent of modern polyurethane finishes, (in satin, semi, and full gloss), this technique is not used so much.

Kind Regards,

Don.

Thanks Don

THese were my thoughts when I bought it.I even discussed this with the seller as he had it on consignment for his neighbor.He knew the neighbor hadnt refinnished it but being an old retired Army guy who served in the 50s and was actively a shooter in the service we discussed a lot of techiques on finnishes.Every show I see him at I will spend at least an hour talking with him.I had thought about using a light scotch guard pad or the sttel wool as you mentioned to tone it down and possibly touching it up with a treatment of linseed oil.I may never get around to it :lol:

I like the idea about just a light oiling and handling as well.

RD

In Memoriam:

Great item Ron :thumbsup: You should bring this up to the shot this weekend!

Kurt

Thanks KB

In Memoriam:

Gorgeous revolvers, and these things handle so well!

I just found this Gun Digest article which may be of interest. The article starts below the pic of an S&W M1917. The article explains some about the cylinder differences.

Steve

I remember:

Chris Ingrassia (9/11) CPT Tristan Aitken (OIF, 2003)

MAJ Paul Syverson (OIF, 2004) CPT Tom Miller (OIF, 2005)

SSG Scottie Bright (OIF, 2005) CPT Chris Petty (OIF, 2006)

MAJ Hurley Shields (OIF, 2008)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks Don

THese were my thoughts when I bought it.I even discussed this with the seller as he had it on consignment for his neighbor.He knew the neighbor hadnt refinnished it but being an old retired Army guy who served in the 50s and was actively a shooter in the service we discussed a lot of techiques on finnishes.Every show I see him at I will spend at least an hour talking with him.I had thought about using a light scotch guard pad or the sttel wool as you mentioned to tone it down and possibly touching it up with a treatment of linseed oil.I may never get around to it :lol:

I like the idea about just a light oiling and handling as well.

RD

The best stuff to use is "four ought" (0000) steel wool. It's the finest grade available, and will remove the gloss without leaving any scratches. I wouldn't recommend using scotchbrite or any coarse steel wool.

The best stuff to use is "four ought" (0000) steel wool. It's the finest grade available, and will remove the gloss without leaving any scratches. I wouldn't recommend using scotchbrite or any coarse steel wool.

Thanks Jim :thumbsup:

I have both 4/0 steel wool and brass wool also.

In Memoriam:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.