The American Military Museum

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Name: The American Military Museum

Street Address: Charleston, SC. There is no street address, however this is what is on their website: "The American Military Museum is in the Aquarium Wharf next to the SC Aquarium. Look for the Charleston IMAX and you'll find us easily." The aquarium is right next to the building for Fort Sumter tours, if that helps.

E-mail: [email protected]

Telephone: 843-577-7000

I got the chance to visit The American Military Museum when I was in Charleston, and holy cow! For a museum that seems like it would be small it has A LOT of stuff from every war this country has been apart of, from the Revolution to the ongoing war on terrorism. The staff is very friendly. If you are in the Charleston area I would definitely recommend you visit it! The photo I have attached is only a small portion of their WWII displays.

post-80799-1334525340.jpg

I used to go to this museum back in my days as a cadet and I've always loved it! It really does have quite an amazing amount of artifacts, all well displayed, too. BTW, back when I used to go, admission was free if you were in uniform (cadet or military), wonder if that still holds true.

I am glad to see this museum is stipp up and running. We went back in 2003 and it was a great experience. My wife (gf at the time) and I was speaking with the guy on duty and she mentioned how she liked the parade helmets from the turn of the century. Sure enough he hops back, gets one out of the case and plops it on her head! Very friendly staff and I think at the time, most of the material was donations from SC residents.

Garth Thompson

According to the opening page on their website as of May 2012 the owner of the building they rent is terminating their lease. It sounds like they have no where to go at this time.

Rakkasan187
According to the opening page on their website as of May 2012 the owner of the building they rent is terminating their lease. It sounds like they have no where to go at this time.

Sad that they couldn't make a little room for the museum at Patriot's Point. It's just up the street. I hope that this is not another example of our history falling by the wayside due to lack of funds..

Leigh..

• 2 months later...
Sandlapper
Sad that they couldn't make a little room for the museum at Patriot's Point. It's just up the street. I hope that this is not another example of our history falling by the wayside due to lack of funds..

Leigh..

I registered on this forum to post in this thread. I found it via Google! I'm a volunteer at the American Military Museum. I can say that Patriots Point did not want us, their reasoning was that they are a maritime museum and we..well are not. Also they are having a lot of problem of their own right now. I do have good news though. The AMM has moved to a new location in the Citadel Mall in West Ashley, SC and we aim to be back up by the end of summer!

Rakkasan187

Hi Sandlapper,

Welcome to forum, and that's great news about the AMM. The next time that I am on the east Coast again and in your area, I will be stopping in..

Leigh..

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to give everyone an update. The AMM is back up and running at the new location (address posted above) come by if you are in the Charleston, SC area.