USAF Blue "Tiger Stripe" Uniform

DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l

I finally have the uniform in its entirety. The cap, black henley style undershirt, pants and coat. (I'll get another shot of it all tucked in) as I have a black rigger style belt here somewhere...

002-6.jpg

Close up of the henley style undershirt with embroidered name and branch

003-6.jpg

Here are a few USAF photos showing the black henley style undershirt. They came in long and short sleeve. This one is a long sleeve.

USAFBlueTigerStripeBlackShirt.jpg

USAFBlueTigerStripeBlackShirt6PointedCap.jpg

USAFBlueTigerStripeGreyBoots.jpg

USAFBlueTigerStripeBlackShirtBlackRiggerBelt.jpg

I was really disappointed when they decided not to use this pattern.

Still, it is kind of neat that they kept the Tiger pattern for their current camo.

I'd love to have one of these shirts just to knock around in. Perhaps it will be produced commercially one day.

Thanks for sharing.

I never could understand what, exactly, these cammo were intended to be cammo for! A field of bluebonnets, a mid-day squall line?

But, I did like them as a fashion statement, and they surely did make USAF personnel stand out in a mixed crowd of other branches. I'd love to have one of those shirts or caps too...

One (Not the only or main) reason the uniform was short lived was that AFSOC said we would be exempt from wearing it while deployed, Big Blue had a problem with this. One uniform for everyone in the AF, could be used at homestation and while deployed. AFSOC said we won't wear it while deployed, sent out a message to that affect authorizing us to continue wearing the DCU's while deployed.

We would joke around and call it the "Smurf Hunter" uniform whenever we would see it.

Mike

I've got a complete current grey-shade "tiger stripe" ABU but the cap they adopted isn't USMC style...just like a regular field cap.

DutchInfid3l

I've always thought it was an interesting uniform ever since seeing the press photos and especially the wear tests while at Eglin/Hurlburt Field. Revolting and beautiful at the same time... :D

The uniform I've had for a few years. The cap I acquired a few weeks ago, I had a pretty big bid, seeing as you never see them, but it only went for $12... as for the undershirt, fellow forum member Lance0906 snagged them from the same seller as the cap, for less than $10.

No point in having a bidding war, as we usually show one another various listings, I had sent him the cap to photograph for his new book and he sent me the shirt in return. He had come to my house to photograph some of my other items a month ago, I had given him a USAF first pattern blue poplin shirt (no epaulets, one pocket, dated 1949) that I had an extra of, this was probably his thank you for that.

I usually watch similar listings on ebay, you never know. But yes, they've been in demand. The actual set before just the shirt w/ no name tape that went for $152, was almost $300.

I never could understand what, exactly, these cammo were intended to be cammo for! A field of bluebonnets, a mid-day squall line?

But, I did like them as a fashion statement, and they surely did make USAF personnel stand out in a mixed crowd of other branches. I'd love to have one of those shirts or caps too...

I am still trying to figure out what the blue camo uniform the Navy uses accomplishes for camouflage purposes. If anything, it makes personnel stand out on the deck of a grey ship!

(US Navy photo taken during the Japan Tsunami Relief effort, USS Blue Ridge, 2012)

3.12.11_USS_Blue_Ridge_Departs.JPG

I am still trying to figure out what the blue camo uniform the Navy uses accomplishes for camouflage purposes. If anything, it makes personnel stand out on the deck of a grey ship!

(US Navy photo taken during the Japan Tsunami Relief effort, USS Blue Ridge, 2012)

Im not sure either, because the Navy also has a green version and a desert version for SEALS and Seabeas. Anyone in ground combat has different uniforms.....Ah, tax money well spent.

I finally have the uniform in its entirety. The cap, black henley style undershirt, pants and coat.

There was also a Gore-Tex parka in that pattern.

DutchInfid3l
There was also a Gore-Tex parka in that pattern.

Correct. You can see them hanging in the background.

USAFBlueTigerStripeGortex.jpg

The Navy's requirement was for a pattern "to hide stains".

They did not require a "combat camo" for the Type 1 (the blue) NWU.

bravo_2_zero
I got a set in a vintage show 5 ish years ago .

Reops can be found on ebay some times .

Yeah I got my set from eBay unissued about 6 years ago , I also have a raid jacket I got 3 years ago in the lightweight shirt fabric. That maybe repro or made from left over fabric bolts ?

• 1 month later...

I think camo for Air Force and Navy, generally ave little utility. For the most part, they aren't going to be on the front lines (in the bush, so to speak).

If an Air Force TACP is assigned duty with an Army unit, I assume he would be wearing Army camo. In a combat, with the possibility of enemy snipers around, I certainly would not want to be the one who stands out by virtue of a different uniform. As for SEALS, I can't imagine any environment wnere the Navu camo would be effective, except, perhaps at the club.

I think these uniforms are much more about identity than concealment.

As for SEALS, I can't imagine any environment wnere the Navu camo would be effective, except, perhaps at the club.

This is why the Navy came up with the Type II and III NWU (formerly known as AOR2 and AOR3) for tactical usage.

Type II (desert) NWU

ff69298713e594fcd727141d03349f41.jpg

Type III (woodland) NWU

c68ec74b6f5e1bd232450bfae9150fa8.jpg