Kerr Sling, Original or Repro?

Demianthedog

Demianthedog

I believe this is an actual period sling but I keep second guessing myself. Your opinions would be appreciated.

This is an unmarked sling. The hardware is blued brass. The webbing is dark tan.

post-9150-1334406702.jpg

Demianthedog

Thank you for the resources. You may easily ascertain that I know absolutely nothing about these.

Here is a link from a previous thread on slings.Some great info on Thompson related canvas

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...showtopic=10090

A few topics on the forum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...lite=Kerr+sling

The Kerrr style TSMG slings have become very difficult to authenticate, as there are some EXCELLENT reproductions out there now. If you could take closer photos of both sides of each buckle, that would help. This one looks almost too good to be true, as Mike D mentions. Most of the reproductions I have seen recently have artificial aging added to them.

Are any of the rivets split? This is not a telltale sign, but adds doubt.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

I also find the complete lack of coloring on two spots of the sling slide odd. I am not sure if the fittings are infact blued, or actually blackened, however that lack of coloring looks to me as if the keeper were laying on something when colored. I could be wrong if this appears to just be wear, however it certainly jumped out to me as out of place on this sling.

- Ron

Johan Willaert
Looks to good to be true. Unmarked?

I'm still pretty convinced this one's original.

As far as I know, the WW2 made TSMG slings were not marked, with only the earlier real KERR slings being marked...