US Air Force Master Sgt - why change in 1991?

dag

I remember from my USAF days that a Master Sgt had 3 rockers below. Saw a Master Sgt today with the 2 below/1 above that was introduced in 1991. Why was it changed?

post-11058-1334273908.jpg

I would also submit that the Air Force has been vacillating back and forth since 1947 about whether or not to acknowledge and treasure its own US Army traditions, one of which is that everyone from SFC on up has at least 3 chevrons above, and anyone with a rocker is a Sgt of some degree.

Its that old "differentiation" thing that happens between parents and offspring, in my opinion - and has caused no end of confusion or frustration to those of us who wore the blue at various points in time.

I wish they'd just follow the Army model once and for all and leave it the hell alone, forever.

DutchInfid3l

From Lt. Col. Aldebol's reference book "AAF and USAF Decorations, medals, ribbons, badges and insignia 1947-1997" Pg. 55

"Other than the elimination of the E-4 Sergeant rank, the most significant change of this period was the addition of one stripe atop each of the senior NCO chevrons (E-7-E-9)

The change in rank insignia for the first time clearly distinguished the top three senior NCO ranks from other NCOs."

From Lance. P Young's "Into the blue, Uniforms of the United States Air Force 1947-present" Pg. 144

and the USAF Historical Research Agency's, "A chronology of the enlisted rank chevron of the USAF" 19 Feb 1992

"The justification for the change, as provided by Gen. McPeak, was to bring the insignia more in line with that worn by top enlisted members in the Army and Marine Corps."

• 2 weeks later...

We would joke around during the change-over and refer to the MSgt's with the new chevrons as STSgt's (Senior TSgt's), until I got my backside handed to me on a silver platter. Was told that being a Sergeant (E-4) at the time, I was basically an over-paid Senior Airman (E-4).

Yeah- I remember "Gen'l McPeaks's Uniform and Tailor Shop" days. Wonder how much money was wasted on all the changes.

Frank (SMSgt, Ret)

Can't remember how many times I was called Chief and then had to explain the changes to vets.

OT: But when the AF went to shoulder boards for SNCO's, there was a lot of confusion, my dad was an E-7 wearing the shoulder boards, and had basic aircrew wings. Being on a fighter base the only people with wings and shoulder boards were officers. We had just got to Spangdahlem in June of 1982 and were walking to the snack-bar for lunch and he was saluted probably a dozen or more times.

We would joke around during the change-over and refer to the MSgt's with the new chevrons as STSgt's (Senior TSgt's), until I got my backside handed to me on a silver platter. Was told that being a Sergeant (E-4) at the time, I was basically an over-paid Senior Airman (E-4).

I knew the last buck sergeant in the USAF. He finally sewed on SSgt in 1997. I sincerely think he did it on purpose.

-Ski

I had put SSgt on in May 96, I remember having paperwork that said if I wasn't promoted to SSgt by a certain date my rank would revert back to SrA from Sgt.

• 10 years later...
S.ChrisKelly

So...  What's the general consensus on the uniform insignia changes?

1) The first CMSAF, Paul W. Airey,  CMSAF 1967 - 1969.

2) The eighteenth CMSAF, Kaleth Wright, CMSAF 2017 - 2020.

[Images courtesy USAF public domain].

Airey_pw-.jpg

1280px-CMSAF_Wright.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

Just as an aside...  My copious apologies in advance for any impropriety...

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful and satisfying topic/discussion, albeit over a decade ago.

I was on active service in the USAF when General McPeak became USAF Chief of Staff.  

I remember when those beautiful silver-gray stripes were replaced by the guady, over-sized, "whitewash" chevrons derisively called "billboard stripes".  A master sergeant in my flight was absolutely deflated when, so looking forward to his next promotion, to get the "roof" over his stripes, now, well, all SNCOs look alike.  Consequently, the E-8 and E-9 ranks lost their elite status.

A captain in my squadron was the first to get the "McPeak Uniform".  He spent all that money for a new service dress, only to be commonly mistaken for a Coast Guard officer, or a commercial airline employee.

That uniform was a transitional, and optional during my time, and I exited EAD with my original (now called "heritage", I guess) service dress intact and still authorized.  I still can't believe it's a collectors' item now, even if there is no demand for it.  Maybe it's just plain obsolete... Like me.

S.ChrisKelly

The USAF's newest subordinate command...  United States Space Force.  Although a seperate branch since 2019, still under the Department of the Air Force.

These are the uniform changes:

1) CMSSF Roger Towberman, 2020.

2) CMSSF Roger Towberman, 2022.

[Images courtesy of USAF/USSF public domain].

CMSSF(B).png

220705-F-XX000-0001.jpeg