Arisan Maru 10- 14-1944 KIA/MIA Purple Heart

scottplen

This is a trade i picked up on the forum !! I can't help it Its an illness !!

USS Canopus AS-9 was an old ship in 1941 When the war came . All ships in philipines where sent out of Marivelles Harbor but the Canopus. in late Dec . the enemy bomb the ship putting armor piecing bomb through her deck hitting her magazine but also hitting her steam and water lines flooding her magazine ! the enemy tried again but could not sink her the crew made her look like a bombed out ship burning smudge pots on her during the day But her repair shops worked all nite and her stores supplied army navy and marines alike Even the nurses from Bataan

would visit heer for her hot meals and refigeration ! Her crew formed a naval Bn to fight with the USMC and help drive the enemy landing partys off the cliffs and her home made Mini Battleships from ther launches also battled them they where know as the mickey mouse Battleships !! in early april orders were given to Scuttle her ! The brave crew put her in deep water and did what the japs could not ! The crew moved Corrigador with any supplies they could carry and fought with the Marines Defending the beaches of corrigador !

Finnally the Capt of Canopus Was ordered out on the last sub. The survivors of this brave crew surrendered to the Japs in May 1942 and were sent to a varity of POW camps !

S1c Tinker was put on the Hellship Arisan Maru to be sent to Japan ! But on Oct 14 1944 Arisan Maru Was sent to the bottom by USS Shark SS-314

With only 9 survivors out of 1800 POWs . THe Japanese crew after being hit lowered the life boat for them selfs after locking the holds so the POWs could not get out ! Any POW that made it to an enemy ship was pushed away !

THEY WERE NOT EXPENDABLE These Brave men who continued to fight after they knew all was lost ! I salute them all ! :salute:

post-620-1334198782.jpg

Scott, So you got this one. Nice pick up. I meet with the son of an officer on the USS Shark. He has some great pic of the crew and sub. Below is a picture of all of the officer at a party after the Shark's commissioning.

post-2651-1334232482.jpg

>These Brave men who continued to fight

Those Navy and Army personnel that joined the 4th Marine Regiment were eligible for the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presidential Unit Citation) and OLC). All recipients of the PUC during the battles of Bataan and Corregidor are eligible for the Bronze Star Medal.

I have yet to locate one Navy veteran assigned to the 4th that was not awarded same.

Unlike the AAF, there were only a few that received full recognition. Case in point. Captain Cooksley represents the injustice applied to such veterans. He earned but never received the BSM, BSM (OLC), and the CIB. Open the site that shares his story.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1736948...e-their-stories

Robert

Nice medal! I was thinking about pulling the trigger on that medal when I saw it for sale! glad you got it!

I have always admired the service of the men from the USS Canopus and have a few groups from other crewman who survived and became POWs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=65182

Kurt

>These Brave men who continued to fight

Those Navy and Army personnel that joined the 4th Marine Regiment were eligible for the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presidential Unit Citation) and OLC). All recipients of the PUC during the battles of Bataan and Corregidor are eligible for the Bronze Star Medal.

I have yet to locate one Navy veteran assigned to the 4th that was not awarded same.

Unlike the AAF, there were only a few that received full recognition. Case in point. Captain Cooksley represents the injustice applied to such veterans. He earned but never received the BSM, BSM (OLC), and the CIB. Open the site that shares his story.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1736948...e-their-stories

Robert

Hello

Is there a roster or list of the crew that joined the Marines ? Anyone have a picture of the Canapus Crew ?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If memory serves me correctly, the Arisan Maru had the greatest loss of POW life of all the Hellships. Consequently, a good portion of the "Hellship" posthumous PHs that pop up are ones to those brave warriors who were aboard her. Its such a sad story.

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Scuttled, 10 April 1942, off Bataan, P.I. to prevent Japanese capture

USS Canopus (AS-9)

Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons

Precedence of awards is from top to bottom, left to right

Top Row - Yangtze Service Medal - China Service Medal - American Defense Medal

Bottom Row - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (1) - World War II Victory Medal - Philippine Defense Medal

As men became available on Corregidor from January until after the fall of Bataan, they were integrated into the 4th Marines to support beach defense. In February, 58 sailors formerly of the USS Canopus were organized as a reserve company Lieutenant Clarence Van Ray with Platoon Sergeant Leslie D. Sawyer and Sergeant Ray K. Cohen trained and equipped the sailors into an efficient fighting force. Ten Marines and 40 more sailors were added to the company after the fall of Bataan.

Hello Scott,

You've done a great job of preserving history, and this is yet another fine example. It's inspiring to hear the heroic story of this member of the "Greatest Generation". We all owe them so much.

Thank you for posting and sharing this with us all. It's a beautiful testament and beautiful medal.

Best wishes!

Joe

There is no doubt the majority, if not all that perished on the Arisan Maru were never posthumouly awarded full recognition towards combat service, and losing their lives.

Robert

Raidercollector

Very nice group Scott. And very sad on what happen to these men.And a super rare group.I also have a group from the USS Canopus . If you read the history at corregidor you will be amazed on how long they fooled the Japanese into thinking the ship was scuttled in the harbor . And once they founded out the ship was still servicing the subs in the harbor they attacked the ship.Most of the survivors swam to shore.Their is also a book out on the USS Canopus in WW2,Talks all about the battle and has its roaster in it.,If I ever dig my group out I will post it, He also died on the Arisan Maru.

Nick

Very nice group Scott. And very sad on what happen to these men.And a super rare group.I also have a group from the USS Canopus . If you read the history at corregidor you will be amazed on how long they fooled the Japanese into thinking the ship was scuttled in the harbor . And once they founded out the ship was still servicing the subs in the harbor they attacked the ship.Most of the survivors swam to shore.Their is also a book out on the USS Canopus in WW2,Talks all about the battle and has its roaster in it.,If I ever dig my group out I will post it, He also died on the Arisan Maru.

Nick

:thumbsup: A great, great story !!

I bought this book as part of the research for my book:

http://www.evperry.com/canopus.html

Everett Perry was able to provide me with additional information on my sailor.

Congratulations on adding the medal to your collection.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

Thanks book ordered !

scott

Sorry double post please remove

• 4 weeks later...
scottplen

Hello

Recieved info from Everett Perry who wrote a book on the USS Canopus

Jan 1 1942 S2c Tinker recieved on board Canopus from recieving station Mariveles PI

Feb 28 1942 Change of muster roll of the crew

Tinker sent to 4th Marines on Corrigador for duty

Feb 28 1942 log book entry

Tinker transfered to 1st Bn 4th Marines Corrigador PIs

The 1st Bn was stationed on the tail of corrigdor and was the 1st to be hit by Japanese invasion force

Most of the morning battle and the final battle was fought on the Tail of Corrigador between 1st battalion and the 4th Reserve bn taking on the Japanese forces.

May 5 1942 Invasion begins just before midnite all personell on corrigdor recieve a promotion one pay grade .

May 6 Corrigador surrenders at noon All troops called back to Malinta tunnel

Tinker surrenders at east Tunnel of Malinta Tunnel .

May 7 or 8 1942

Hobo jungle holding pen Barbed wire and machineguns

All prisoners marched to old seaplane ramp as a holding pen for some 19 days.

may 21 1942 All prisoners sent to manila to old Bilibid prison then to any one of the POW camps at Cabantuan

any sick and wouned stayed at bilibod

Jan 1 1944 Tinker still in PIs

oct 24 1944 on board Hellship Arisan Maru with 90 other Canopus crewmen No know survivors !

Still need a pic wrote for IDPF so hope its in there !

I am so Honored to be the caretaker of this Brave warriors memory !

I believe he is entiled to the Bronze star also Pres unit citation for the defence of Corrigdor fighting as infantry !

vicjoy1945

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great stuff !! Just checked a posthumous Navy "Hellship" Purple Heart in my collection and it turns out this gallant sailor was serving on the USS Canopus too. Like S2c Tinker, he was captured on May 6, 1942 but he was KIA on Dec 15, 1944 aboard the Hellship Oryoku Maru.

Vic