Navy medals WWII

Hobza

Hi all,

my friend offered me this set of Navy medals. He told me it is from one lady from Ohio. She didn´t want to tell anything. Just that he was soldier who served in Pacific area. Do you think it is possible to get these medals? In this combination? Here are high awards...

All have wrap broach and Bronze star has slot broach but it supposed to be also Navy medal (I´ve seen similar here on forum not long ago). There are ribbons, DSM and Purple heart but these medals he didn´t offered me cause he doesn´t have them.

So I´d like to ask you...I don´t have much money at this moment so I can´t overpay this group but I have to say that I can´t see this type of set every day...

Thank you

Lubos

post-8933-1334073922.jpg

canadian bacon

even if they are not a group the individual value of the medals would make them worth a pretty penny

the navy cross looks like it might be a black widow or a gunmetal version

cheers Michael

Nice set of medals! It is possible one man earned all these, but unlikely. Without original paperwork , this group is worth the sum of its parts.

The other question is " where are the boxes"?

Kurt

Hi,

medals were offered without boxes... What I know, some lady from nurse house sells it. Maybe she had it from her husband or son... By the way that lady found DSM medal and Purple Heart but she sold it to somebody else. Even if I let her know that I can overpay that man to keep the group together. However I was not successful... :thumbdown:

An OUTSTANDING group of medals. The fact that they are all Naval (with the possible exception of the BS) along with 1/2" ribbons makes me think they could have gone to one guy. As mentioned, they are only worth their base values without the paperwork, unfortunately. A pretty penny nonetheless!

-Ski

Javelin4life

Talk about cashing in on the gold!! those are beautiful medals, whose value alone, as mentioned by a couple of other members that commented on this thread, is worth a nice amount just on their own...great find :)

As everyone else has said, it's an incredible group of medals. And they very well could have belonged to one man, although, like Kurt, I doubt it.

The key to your research will be the Navy DSM. It's a rare award, typically awarded only to Navy Flag Officers and Marine General Officers (with a few exceptions). Multiple awards of the NDSM are even rarer.

Look for a WWII Navy or Marine Aviator, who was awarded the NC, and who later achieved Flag or General rank, and received two Navy DSMs. Can't be too many of them out there.

As everyone else has said, it's an incredible group of medals. And they very well could have belonged to one man, although, like Kurt, I doubt it.

The key to your research will be the Navy DSM. It's a rare award, typically awarded only to Navy Flag Officers and Marine General Officers (with a few exceptions). Multiple awards of the NDSM are even rarer.

Look for a WWII Navy or Marine Aviator, who was awarded the NC, and who later achieved Flag or General rank, and received two Navy DSMs. Can't be too many of them out there.

AND who had the NMCM...that would be the kicker to me with the rest of the medals considered... :think:

Dave

What's interesting is that there is one of every WWII Naval decoration represented except the MOH and the LOM.

Kurt

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

OK...so what idiot bought the DSM and PH and left these incredible medals behind...aaaarrrrgggggg !!!

Of course...perhaps the other medals weren't offered at the time (or found)...still...I would have been all over the seller regarding the possibility of additional items or information.

But thats just me...

Vic

What's interesting is that there is one of every WWII Naval decoration represented except the MOH and the LOM.

Kurt

So what you're saying is that these might not have belonged to a famous admiral from WW2 who was aviation qualified and received every top award in the Navy, all within the same 5 year period? :think:

;);)

So what you're saying is that these might not have belonged to a famous admiral from WW2 who was aviation qualified and received every top award in the Navy, all within the same 5 year period? :think:

;);)

They could have been part of an official display from the time period of WWII, whch would explain why the boxes are missing.

No one will even know. A person could go through all the work of trying to find an Admiral whose awards match these, but how do you prove it??? Medal bars are one thing, loose medals are another.

Bottom line is that the group is worth the sum of the parts unless original paperwork ETC turns up.

Kurt

Hi all,

Tom: I was thinking the same... to find out who was awarded with DSM two times and was from Ohio (I hope that if lady is from Ohio maybe the holder could be as well). But I don´t know where and how this information found out. It is shame.

Kurt: because only MoH and LoM I was asking if it is possible to get these medals in this combination..., or if it is somebody´s collection... But lady said he served in Pacific area but she didn´t want to tell me his name...

To DSM and Purple Heart - it was offered about week later that lady found it. But some man from nurse house was also interested in it. Even I offered I can give two times more (we didn´t talk about exact price but I really want to have it as set)... But I was told that lady gave it to some other man. And I really entreated that I can pay "any" price. Not only because I´m searching for DSM for a long time and I´m not lucky... but probably lady preferred promptly money at that moment...

As I said: such a terrible unluckiness... :crybaby:

AAF_Collection

Hi Hobza,

I wouldn't call finding the medals you posted unluckiness :wink2: but I agree it's a shame about the DSM and Purple Heart. I do wonder if this could be a family group and you are seeing,for example the medals of two brothers or cousins which have become mixed together.

Do you know where exactly in Ohio the seller is from? if so you might have luck checking recent obituaries from that town/area.

Matt.

Lubos,

If it is a valid grouping to a person, you have a very nice find. If you don't spend more then the collective cost of each medal, you still have a nice purchase.