Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
5 hours ago, mikie said:

Today is Memorial Day here in the States. We honor our fallen who gave their last full measure for us. I usually do some kind of display in the yard but am not feeling great so kept it simple today. 

853285AF-1CCB-47FF-8369-AC1B211ACCA1.jpeg

Hi Mikie,

I think with that display you have said all you need to say, quite an emotive ensemble . 

6 hours ago, mikie said:

Today is Memorial Day here in the States. We honor our fallen who gave their last full measure for us. I usually do some kind of display in the yard but am not feeling great so kept it simple today. 

Well done Mikie.

11 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie, more is not needed. This brings the message across perfectly.

I hope your feeling better soon.

10 hours ago, 268th C.A. said:

I posted this before but still one of my favorite war time toys, Simple but I'd love to have a a few of these as a kid 

lost both tracks at one time or another, But was repaired and put back in service by the maintenance crews...

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

Very nice but it can even be simpler 😉:

SAM_2515.JPG.e4a4b867b04e51af96c55376c0021858.JPGSAM_2519.JPG.d7ebd6d112692d022bdbe4922f6f5187.JPG

The underside has a bit of a Flintstones vibe to me. But like you said: as a kid I would have loved to play with these.

4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Very nice but it can even be simpler 😉:

SAM_2515.JPG.e4a4b867b04e51af96c55376c0021858.JPGSAM_2519.JPG.d7ebd6d112692d022bdbe4922f6f5187.JPG

The underside has a bit of a Flintstones vibe to me. But like you said: as a kid I would have loved to play with these.

What a brilliant idea!  Take out that foolish engine and fuel tanks and use foot power to run tanks!  

What could possibly be wrong with that?  

Mikie

22 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin

I pulled this WWII War Production woodworking booklet out to see if there were plans for a Childs machine-gun sadly no.  One of my uncles who spent five years in a German POW camp used to make wooden toys and the steam train top left was one of the toys he made for my older brother when he got home at war's end. 

fullsizeoutput_1bea6.jpeg.f89c0f30bcf0ba7fa228508d25d12d36.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1bea9.jpeg.4b8617159440519f9ef5dd48412710bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1beae.jpeg.13ffd9836c9fa0fefe50267604e1557d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 29  2023.

I know I have seen details in a wartime publication for making these toy guns, just not sure which one it was. I have quite a few of the wartime years editions of  Hobbies Weekly that may be where I need to search.

General Apathy

Utah beach early evening 30th May . . . . . 

drove over to see some friends on a campsite at Utah beach, the crosswinds coming from the sea side were very strong against the car and sand was being blown across the road from the beach.  Can't recall the sea being so rough for many years,  it was difficult to stand still on the beach.

First two images around 20h00, third and fourth images around 22h30 

fullsizeoutput_1bf18.jpeg.014f2ae9da9303baf9336fd102d51e4f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1bf11.jpeg.98768fd4c65ee64729ceedce659b76e2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1bf14.jpeg.024b2e19d9cca17dbc6c720fe43f1ca8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1bf15.jpeg.3e33d7f88961561eae822b12aa57e55b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 30  2023.

Persian Gulf Command

This made me ponder the meteorological events of June 6th-19th 1944. Has anyone researched (I assume yes) how frequent the weather that occurred in June since the invasion has been repeated? I would assume that the storm on the 5th and its lull on the 6th would be common. Regarding the severity of the storm that destroyed the artificial Mulberry Harbor om the 19th, was this storm unusually strong for June?

Not yet found the Tommy gun toy plans, but did find a few others

Also went and collected a whole bunch of Home Guard Training bklts today, another 200 mile round trip but some rare examples in amongst them. Apparently all came from one man who was a 2nd Lt in the Home guard.

IMG_4903 (2).JPG

IMG_4900 (2).JPG

IMG_4901 (2).JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

General Apathy
9 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

This made me ponder the meteorological events of June 6th-19th 1944. Has anyone researched (I assume yes) how frequent the weather that occurred in June since the invasion has been repeated? I would assume that the storm on the 5th and its lull on the 6th would be common. Regarding the severity of the storm that destroyed the artificial Mulberry Harbor om the 19th, was this storm unusually strong for June?

according to accounts I have read this kind of storm is a regular feature of the English Channel between the UK & France, the Mulberry Harbour that survived the storm at Arromanches was anchored to the sea bed as was found necessary when prototypes were tested in the seas off the UK prior to D-Day.  It invariably rains most years during June, when wet the Normandy soil stinks vehicles down into it, when dry it's almost impossible to dig into it.  

The harbor that was lost was not secured to the sea bed as suggested necessary and parts broke free and the whole harbor was lost. So more speed and less security in fact resulted in only half the planned material landed until Cherbourg harbour was captured. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 31  2023.

General Apathy
8 hours ago, Escht said:

Also went and collected a whole bunch of Home Guard Training bklts today, another 200 mile round trip but some rare examples in amongst them. Apparently all came from one man who was a 2nd Lt in the Home guard.

IMG_4903 (2).JPG

IMG_4900 (2).JPG

IMG_4901 (2).JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

Hi Kevin, 

love the illustrations on the Hobbies magazines,  the British army training booklets are quite a collection, sadly it would hard to find one person that would buy all of them and keep them together. The Northover Projector is one I haven't seen before. 

21 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin, 

love the illustrations on the Hobbies magazines,  the British army training booklets are quite a collection, sadly it would hard to find one person that would buy all of them and keep them together. The Northover Projector is one I haven't seen before. 

Hi Ken

There were about another 15 more of the manuals but I didn't get those so it's already been split. Whatever happens in the future at least they've been saved and will end up in someones treasured collection. I also had never seen the Northover Projector nor the Spigot Mprtar manual.

Somewhere in the mess that is my office I have a pile of Hobbies mags all with great front covers but as usual when needed I can't spot them. I really need to take a break from hunting this stuff and get myself sorted

Kev

General Apathy

Further information regarding Ste Mere Eglise during D-Day week . . . . .. 

Temporary road signs have been in place around the centre of Ste Mere for the past week these are showing the central square, streets and carpark are designated NO PARKING areas 08h00 on the 1st of June until 08h00 on the 7th of June, there is also no parking on certain streets leading to the square. 

In previous years cars, Jeeps, trucks, camper-vans found to be at fault of the restrictions were lifted and transported to a compound in Cherbourg ( thirty minutes by car ) these were / are only released on payment of 290 euros . . . . . . . . . .

I believe a bar outside of the restricted areas ( but walking distance into the square ) called The Brasserie has a large car-park and possibly allowing parking. !!!! BUT I don't guarantee that, just a suggestion.

General Apathy
Just now, Escht said:

Hi Ken

There were about another 15 more of the manuals but I didn't get those so it's already been split. Whatever happens in the future at least they've been saved and will end up in someones treasured collection. I also had never seen the Northover Projector nor the Spigot Mprtar manual.

Somewhere in the mess that is my office I have a pile of Hobbies mags all with great front covers but as usual when needed I can't spot them. I really need to take a break from hunting this stuff and get myself sorted

Kev

Hi Kevin,

Amen to that, I have virtually spent the last two weeks trying to pull the Jeep, house and garden into shape for visiting friends during D-Day week, AND I shouldn't be sat here now adding posts to the forum, I have been up since 05h30 this morning and so far haven't started on todays planned chores.  

9 hours ago, Escht said:

IMG_4903 (2).JPG

IMG_4900 (2).JPG

IMG_4901 (2).JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

I didn't realise that there were so many Home Guard manuals. Maybe the escapades of Dad's Army clouded my vision.

General Apathy

Response from local friends to my Utah beach photos I sent out last night . . . . . .

Wow!  Our friends came over on the ferry on Monday, it took three attempts to dock in Cherbourg!!

L.

26 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I didn't realise that there were so many Home Guard manuals. Maybe the escapades of Dad's Army clouded my vision.

Home Guard was part of the British Army. The British Army has a manual for anything and everything,. Constantly updated they ended up with hundreds of variations,

1 hour ago, Escht said:

Home Guard was part of the British Army. The British Army has a manual for anything and everything,. Constantly updated they ended up with hundreds of variations,

Are there Home Guard or standard army-issue also used by the HG? I have a few as well, they're great little booklets! Which titles are uncommon/rare?

28 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Are there Home Guard or standard army-issue also used by the HG? I have a few as well, they're great little booklets! Which titles are uncommon/rare?

There were both.

Quite often Home Guard Units would ink stamp their unit details onto front cover of general army issue manuals. This can be seen on some of those in my photos. As they started to get organized there was a mass of pamphlets and manuals that are just for Home Guard, some of those are in my pictures as well. then there were a whole host of private individuals who published private purchase versions, again in my photos.

Any with Home Guard stamps are desirable, things like the more obscure weapons manuals, Northover Projector, Spigot Mortar ,Sniper, Sabotage, Illustrated Weapons versions and those that came with the weapons like the B.A.R.  are more desirable. It really all depends on what people collect. Some collect just a specific county or even unit. Most in this lot are stamped Kesteven which is an old name for Lincolnshire.

Another rare one in that lot was the L.D.V. one, the early forerunner to the Home Guard. The earlier the dates on the manuals also has an attraction for Home Guard collectors.

General Apathy

by pure coincidence today I found my pocket diary for 2017 and left open at 6th of June . . . . 

Whilst tidying a few boxes ten minutes ago I found my pocket diary left open at 6th June 2017, apologies I did have to censor last two lines hahhaaaaa

Should the last two lines be an enigma for you, please forward a plain brown self-addressed envelope with a five euro note for the details 😂

fullsizeoutput_1bf41.jpeg.36865f5478335350ed946efefea49f99.jpeg

General Apathy

Today's arrivals, this is 2023, imagine 2024.  !!!!!!!!!!!

these just arrived today at the Utah beach camp-site I visited last night

fullsizeoutput_1bf58.jpeg.a1deb7468d5c1fd090be1f6de24bb5b0.jpeg 

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Whilst tidying a few boxes ten minutes ago I found my pocket diary left open at 6th June 2017, apologies I did have to censor last two lines hahhaaaaa

fullsizeoutput_1bf41.jpeg.36865f5478335350ed946efefea49f99.jpeg

Well at least on Saturday 3rd June 2017, the weather was lovely...
See you tomorrow, Ken... 8PM!!

Johan&Ken-SMM.jpg

manayunkman
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Today's arrivals, this is 2023, imagine 2024.  !!!!!!!!!!!

these just arrived today at the Utah beach camp-site I visited last night

fullsizeoutput_1bf58.jpeg.a1deb7468d5c1fd090be1f6de24bb5b0.jpeg 

Ken,

What an interesting time you are going to have the next few days.

The only time I have ever witnessed something similar was the 50th anniversary of Market Garden in the Arnhem area.

Every store window had a WW2 display in it, there were displays everywhere and scores of vehicles, as a matter of fact there was a huge traffic jam.

Have fun with your guests and please keep us in the loop.

JPvWK

General Apathy
43 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Well at least on Saturday 3rd June 2017, the weather was lovely...
See you tomorrow, Ken... 8PM!!

Johan&Ken-SMM.jpg

Hi Johan,

If that photo is 2017 then that was the first time I saw my Slate-Grille Jeep in eleven years, it is also here in Normandy about an hour from me by car, hence we mix in different circles of owners, he rarely brings it up to the beaches in June.  I spent an hour with the owner showing him all the differences a Slat-Grille has to a standard Jeep. 

see you tomorrow, 

General Apathy

Ste Mere Eglise this evening 31st May 2023.

Just been into Ste Mere Eglise to fill up my vehicles with enough fuel to see me through the coming week as there are already reported shortages at the pumps with so many vehicles and tourists arriving here. 

20h30 the bar in the corner of the square packed out and into the street with locals, American soldiers and re-enactors, and some of the warning signs of vehicles will be towed away . . . . .

There are many designated fields for parking, I believe they are generally free, this one number 8 is only two hundred yards from the town square. 

fullsizeoutput_1bf5b.jpeg.0d485cadf9a449f8d4ffa706f6ae9530.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpg.c2788a4008a29c1d97ac1514cfc005d8.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg.7ccb736f94a84365b28836e529d902db.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1bf5c.jpeg.e4cc839bc948d4658134e6781e4a65cb.jpeg