Norman D. Landing

bilko1

58 minutes ago, MCDUFF said:

Ha! Small world; my best regards back to Nigel when you see him again. A true Gentleman, and one of the 'old school'. He is loving being in France as much as you!

Even now, there probably isn't that much interest in the 'Holden' Jeeps? Thank you for your kind words. They are quite ugly and impractical compared to a standard Jeep! However, I am hooked! I love the detail on this tub; especially as it is a Ford script one too. Lots to use as template guides for the restoration of my other one. The remaining stencils are cool too. Just need a big enough wall to hang this on!!!

Cheers Graham

PS, will be on the lookout for razors from now on!

"Just need a big enough wall to hang this on!!!"... Ha!  

Mikie

General Apathy
9 minutes ago, mikie said:

"Just need a big enough wall to hang this on!!!"... Ha!  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

What did I say just a few days ago, ' NEVER enough wall space to hang things on ' , a local friend has a spare wartime Willys body standing on it's rear panel and secured to the garage wall standing upright with wings, hood and windscreen.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 01  2023.

5 hours ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken, I attended the annual 'Stoneleigh Militaria fair' here in the UK at the weekend. It is a magnet for all militaria enthusiasts in the UK as you know. I met so many friends there, it was fantastic. The amount of quality stalls and attendees was impressive.

I came away with a 1943 USMC Jerrycan.... and a Ford script HOLDEN modified body tub.........!!!!!! How crazy is that?! I don't "need" it, but just had to have it. I will update further when I have it delivered. What a crazy hobby this is!!!

20221021_102200.jpg

20221021_102233.jpg

Now this is great!! Congrats! 

..Kat

General Apathy

Photo evidence . . . . . . . . . . 

Many years ago I saw a photograph of an American Jeep in Ireland in 1942, on the engine hood there was no star but a large emblem of an oak acorn , at the time I thought I had made a copy of the photograph but cannot find it. Since then I have seen this photograph of a GMC on an LST and on the engine hood it has a large emblem of a heart, with the star moved to the cab top. Sadly the heart can't be seen on any of the other vehicles on the LST. 

Has anyone else seen images of US vehicles with anything other than the regulation star, I would be pleased to see any images.

.fullsizeoutput_18cfc.jpeg.3f3b1e1ce2fa538a724bf8f20695ae13.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 02  2023.

General Apathy

Bouncing back to the ' Hanover Street ' posts several pages back . . . . . . 

I have pulled this photograph taken on the set of Hanover Street it features Peter  Gray who started the British club ' Military Vehicle Conservation Group ', ( now the Military Vehicle Trust

.fullsizeoutput_18c71.jpeg.4fcf8ac28a6bed5671c85048b59bd045.jpeg

Johan Willaert
43 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Many years ago I saw a photograph of an American Jeep in Ireland in 1942, on the engine hood there was no star but a large emblem of an oak acorn , at the time I thought I had made a copy of the photograph but cannot find it. Since then I have seen this photograph of a GMC on an LST and on the engine hood it has a large emblem of a heart, with the star moved to the cab top. Sadly the heart can't be seen on any of the other vehicles on the LST. 

Has anyone else seen images of US vehicles with anything other than the regulation star, I would be pleased to see any images.

Here's another example, never found out excatly what they meant...

GMC-CCKW352-RingMount-X-HoodNumber-HeartonHood-Color.jpg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Bouncing back to the ' Hanover Street ' posts several pages back . . . . . . 

I have pulled this photograph taken on the set of Hanover Street it features Peter  Gray who started the British club ' Military Vehicle Conservation Group ', ( now the Military Vehicle Trust

.fullsizeoutput_18c71.jpeg.4fcf8ac28a6bed5671c85048b59bd045.jpeg

HOLY SMOKES!! That guy is STRONG!!!

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I knew I had seen a picture somewhere,... arriving Utah Beach

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

General Apathy

Todays Finds . . . . . . . . 

WWII German flour sacks are not unusual in France as once again the French farmers and inhabitants rescued and saved anything that may be of possible future use. As did American citizens during the great depression in the 1930's, poor dirt farmers wives made clothing for themselves, their husbands and the children.

But I was surprised today to find at a country town flea market British made flour sacks with dates ranging from 1938 to 1942 I can't recall seeing any of these previously during the years I have lived in France. One of the CWS marked ones shows a mill in Silvertown, this was in the Royal Victoria Docks, London. The mill began operating in 1900, a new mill was built between 1938 and 1944, the mill ceased trading in 1981 when the docks were closed and demolished in 2008.

most of the sacks show a fee charged for the return of the sack ( 1/- ) this symbol means a shilling which was twelve pence, it can be seen that this charge increased to ( 2/6d ) which would be two-shillings and six pence, thirty pence in old wartime money before the UK decimalised in the 70's.  One of the sacks had the remains of a piece of wire which was used to close the sacks when filled. 

And the last photo for Johan,  American Aid to Belgium, possibly end of WWI period.

fullsizeoutput_18d26.jpeg.781ee331f526f2fd32bab1be6b141446.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d11.jpeg.2f1a39f2f0d5d4bc5f44db92d7b3fe47.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d3c.jpeg.5921bea9988393d63b0c022dd6a1b8a1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d31.jpeg.be36ca4ad26361d6e0112eb82a887724.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d45.jpeg.a2fe7bdff07cebde98172a9278deb230.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d48.jpeg.2e75d03c80c1e32918777c11c8f4ecca.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d4d.jpeg.18b6e85d409cdde01f6974b876aea9ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17a10.jpeg.92ceac3ee2c0e58d9384c4430f4ffd7b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d21.jpeg.5da99cada7096a77d6c285f170bee777.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d1b.jpeg.851cb3ae0dd0239184d117182b2ffc1e.jpeg

General Apathy
8 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Here's another example, never found out excatly what they meant...

GMC-CCKW352-RingMount-X-HoodNumber-HeartonHood-Color.jpg

Hi Johan,

Something I have never seen done before,  either the driver or the co-drivers name stencilled on the windshield, I suppose it made it easier to find your own vehicle in a line of parked trucks all very similar in paint finish and markings. 

General Apathy

Spotted this in an antiques store this week . . . . .

Maybe something of interest to the Viet-Nam collector a copy of a 1950 dated French advert for Air-Vietnam  . . . . . . .  

fullsizeoutput_18dda.jpeg.bc1de4e65220e87b7247a2468a82e4bb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 03  2023.

General Apathy

really enjoy looking at photos, this image was taken in Northern Ireland in 1942 when the first American forces arrived in the UK.  Top left just visible a pre-war musette bag with leather lower half. I had one of these in my collection but it went to auction in 2019, from another topic back in 2007 Craig Pickrall posted a photograph of private purchase items that servicemen could purchase featuring a leather bottomed musette.

Also of interest in the main photo there is a tin to the right of the soldiers head, I noticed it has a lid evident so this led me to think that it is probably not a ration can but a tin of British military cigarettes, I have a similar tin of military cigarettes so I just photographed it at the same angle to see if it looks alike.

.fullsizeoutput_18e88.jpeg.9a81638144bc218c4ef219ba056df526.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_18e87.jpeg.409e7e7be06aa892b6c11ef0cf1c90c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18e8c.jpeg.19d52b8c24e01b84408a44540f6e4dd2.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 04  2023.

Not military, but on our walkies this morning, Gunji spotted this late 1940s Chevy pickup truck. Just thought you vintage iron fans around here would like to see it. I don’t remember seeing it before. 
mikie

F3633D29-4082-4AAE-B476-636E4E3A8DC2.jpeg

On 2/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, General Apathy said:

really enjoy looking at photos, this image was taken in Northern Ireland in 1942 when the first American forces arrived in the UK.  Top left just visible a pre-war musette bag with leather lower half. I had one of these in my collection but it went to auction in 2019, from another topic back in 2007 Craig Pickrall posted a photograph of private purchase items that servicemen could purchase featuring a leather bottomed musette.

Also of interest in the main photo there is a tin to the right of the soldiers head, I noticed it has a lid evident so this led me to think that it is probably not a ration can but a tin of British military cigarettes, I have a similar tin of military cigarettes so I just photographed it at the same angle to see if it looks alike.

.fullsizeoutput_18e88.jpeg.9a81638144bc218c4ef219ba056df526.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_18e87.jpeg.409e7e7be06aa892b6c11ef0cf1c90c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18e8c.jpeg.19d52b8c24e01b84408a44540f6e4dd2.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 04  2023.

Ken,

I believe you are correct about the tin.  Boy you have an eye for details!

...Kat

General Apathy
13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I believe you are correct about the tin.  Boy you have an eye for details!

...Kat

Thank you Kat,

I have to say that my eyesight isn't what it was, I wear glasses now, back in my 20's it was superb many friends used to be complimentary on it.

Sadly although I made a comparison on the tin, I am no longer able to make belt comparisons, here's a shot of them outside before they all went off to auction, the early evening G & T must have put me off my line . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_19022.jpeg.8d2723b521a5c6f7ddddf701c5c95512.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 06  2023.

General Apathy

Hi Graham,

If I recall correctly we first met at the Beltring show  in 1994, I had six of my dressed mannequins on display, sadly only have photos of these two in my files, but as one's USMC para-marine I'm sure you will be happy .

.fullsizeoutput_19047.jpeg.8b4a70835a8d4b86bfb412d65e327022.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_19051.jpeg.75fbf5cb5880d08e3550abe38500a9d3.jpeg

37 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Graham,

If I recall correctly we first met at the Beltring show  in 1994, I had six of my dressed mannequins on display, sadly only have photos of these two in my files, but as one's USMC para-marine I'm sure you will be happy .

.fullsizeoutput_19047.jpeg.8b4a70835a8d4b86bfb412d65e327022.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_19051.jpeg.75fbf5cb5880d08e3550abe38500a9d3.jpeg

Very happy! Thank you! Crikey, that was a long time ago! Yes, it must have been. My 'Doughboy to GI' book is dated June 1994! (cool date!) If only I knew more then about the subject, and had the money of course!! (I needed your book to understand this stuff!!) lol. That drop cannister is incredible too..... rarer than Normandy and Arnhem drops combined for sure!! I wonder where that is now?! Cheers! Graham

General Apathy
29 minutes ago, MCDUFF said:

Very happy! Thank you! Crikey, that was a long time ago! Yes, it must have been. My 'Doughboy to GI' book is dated June 1994! (cool date!) If only I knew more then about the subject, and had the money of course!! (I needed your book to understand this stuff!!) lol. That drop cannister is incredible too..... rarer than Normandy and Arnhem drops combined for sure!! I wonder where that is now?! Cheers! Graham

Hi Graham.

That drop container was sold around 2005 before I closed the store down and moved to France, along with the knife in the photograph, also a Marine Corp 1937 landing knife with original scabbard are not so far from where you live in a private museum, also a USMC hand painted camo'ed M1. 

I had to laugh at an American antiques show the two guys travel around in a van and they dropped in at a farm with barns that stored travelling circus equipment over the winter periods.  There on a top shelf in one of the barns was one of these USMC drop containers and all they were interested in were some old mouldering circus clothes inside the container, obviously they couldn't hear me screaming ' buy the container ' !!

Yes Graham June 1994 was the launch of that book, it was easier to display dressed mannequins than lots of scattered items 

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Thank you Kat,

I have to say that my eyesight isn't what it was, I wear glasses now, back in my 20's it was superb many friends used to be complimentary on it.

Sadly although I made a comparison on the tin, I am no longer able to make belt comparisons, here's a shot of them outside before they all went off to auction, the early evening G & T must have put me off my line . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_19022.jpeg.8d2723b521a5c6f7ddddf701c5c95512.jpeg

Let me know if you ever need help cleaning up your yard! 
mikie

Speaking of flour sacks, I have this one hanging in my war room. It came from a house clean-out some years ago along with others. All from Fisher's Flour Mills, Seattle . They had silos and a mill down on Harbor Island where Eastern Wa. grain was milled. This example (with a changed lot No.) is from another war.

IMG_20230206_130548.jpg

General Apathy
10 hours ago, mikie said:

Let me know if you ever need help cleaning up your yard! 
mikie

Hi Mikie,

Thanks for the offer, if you could come over and lift all the web belts cut the grass and replace all the belts that would be fine . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_19022.jpeg.75dc0a002e9b7e081a2ea1fee04f9e2e.jpeg

General Apathy
9 hours ago, 12thengr said:

Speaking of flour sacks, I have this one hanging in my war room. It came from a house clean-out some years ago along with others. All from Fisher's Flour Mills, Seattle . They had silos and a mill down on Harbor Island where Eastern Wa. grain was milled. This example (with a changed lot No.) is from another war.

IMG_20230206_130548.jpg

Hi 12th,

thanks for adding the sack in your post, something I and maybe others would have been unknowledgeable about otherwise, your sack and the British ones I discovered here all being relevant to the wars they participated in as much as military equipment. In the past I have mentioned all the corrugated steel sheets that were supplied to war damaged house's and became known colloquially as ' American Thatch ' 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  February 07  2023.