Norman D. Landing

bilko1

I lived in Korea for one freezing cold year and swore if I could ever get back to Florida, I’d never leave again.  That was my plan 35 years ago, and I’m sticking with it.  

General Apathy
33 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

I lived in Korea for one freezing cold year and swore if I could ever get back to Florida, I’d never leave again.  That was my plan 35 years ago, and I’m sticking with it.  

Hi BryanJ,

My plan was a fifty year plan inspired by the Who song ' My generation ' I hope I die before I get old, and I lived pretty wild and risky burning the candle at all four corners, however I passed that deadline ( no pun ) several events at a mountain school in my late teens almost achieved that and other later events but plan ' B ' swung into operation ' continue breathing as long as I can

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 13  2022.  

Wasn’t it Mickey Mantle who said that if he knew he was going to live this long, he would have taken better care of himself?  I can’t help but think about how many tens of thou$ands I spent on wine, women and song, and how I wasted the rest.  Next life I will do better.

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

oh you rich Americans  . . . .hahahahah

the prediction here is for severe weather Wednesday & Thursday with great possibility of a white-out of snow, sounds like coffee Sunday morning in the Jeep also predicted . . . . . . . hahahaaa

Couple of images of the weather yesterday morning roads covered in white ice, and frosty bushes.

.IMG_3553.jpg.51769a94e1fd85e8a514fd3d4ef4f948.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg.d2eaab5a9860f78c3611b07169bd2af3.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 13  2022.  

I pulled the blanket up higher after looking at these pictures. I assume even snow and ice does not make you put up the top or the windshield.  😁

...Kat

Johan Willaert

Spent last weekend in frosty Bastogne for the commemorations of the 1944 Battle of the Bulge...

The Bastogne Barracks ( where HQ/101AB Div was located and where General McAuliffe replied 'Nuts' to the German surrender terms) still hosts the Armored collection of the national Military museum and over the past few months a vehicle hall dedicated to the battle was completely refurbished...
On display is a 4th Armored Division Sherman tank painted to look like the tank that broke the siege on 26th December 1944... The real Cobra King Sherman resides in the US Army museum in the US... (second photo)

BastogneBarracks-10Dec22 (4).JPG

USArmyMuseumDisplays (2).JPG

Johan Willaert

And also went to Manhay (Home of one of the Panther tanks in the Ardennes) to see the vehicles in action there...

Was very pleased to see this Dodge WC54 Ambulance I restored with a friend back in 1984 and with which we had loads of fun and great memories...
Friend sold it back in 2010 and I hadn't seen it since... Nice to see it is still being driven and enjoyed...

WC54-KidneyStone (5).JPG

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

And also went to Manhay (Home of one of the Panther tanks in the Ardennes) to see the vehicles in action there...

Was very pleased to see this Dodge WC54 Ambulance I restored with a friend back in 1984 and with which we had loads of fun and great memories...
Friend sold it back in 2010 and I hadn't seen it since... Nice to see it is still being driven and enjoyed...

WC54-KidneyStone (5).JPG

Thats what my Dad drove in WWII

1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice… Do you have any photos of him and his Ambulance?

E-maild it to you as I can.t retrieve it ande post it as I'm not computer savy

Johan Willaert
24 minutes ago, LtRGFRANK said:

E-maild it to you as I can.t retrieve it ande post it as I'm not computer savy

Thx, well here it is!! Great! photo!

Markings 1-1M C-17 indicate 17th Vehicle, C Company, 1st Medical Battalion, 1st Infantry Division.
An infantry division's medical battalion was composed of an HQ, 3 Collecting Companies (A-B-C) and a Clearing Company (D)
The Collecting Companies would pick up the wounded from the Infantry Regiments' Aid Stations and transport them back to the Clearing Company installations who would further treat them and avcuate as necessary...
Too bad the nickname on the nose isn't readable

Seeing the IKE jacket and absence of tactical markings on the bumper of the Ambulance, I believe this photo was taken in the Summer of 1945 in Germany....
Do you know where and when it was taken?

WC54-1-1M-C-17-FRANK.jpg

General Apathy

Although Germany enjoyed Coca-Cola before WWII it wasn't really sold in France until the 1950's. The remains of a crate of wartime dated Coca-Cola found here in Normandy.  Empty pre 41 dated Coca-Cola bottles appear occasionally with German language details embossed on the bottles, I have one dated 1937 and a German Fanta bottle dated 1939.  

https://www.messynessychic.com/2015/09/04/the-day-coco-cola-came-to-france-and-how-parisians-reacted/

.fullsizeoutput_16f54.jpeg.da4bae66bd3f5b3aa9d4ca25cc0323a5.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 14  2022.  

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Markings 1-1M C-17 indicate 17th Vehicle, C Company, 1st Medical Battalion, 1st Infantry Division.
An infantry division's medical battalion was composed of an HQ, 3 Collecting Companies (A-B-C) and a Clearing Company (D)
The Collecting Companies would pick up the wounded from the Infantry Regiments' Aid Stations and transport them back to the Clearing Company installations who would further treat them and avcuate as necessary...

Seeing the IKE jacket and absence of tactical markings on the bumper of the Ambulance, I believe this photo was taken in the Summer of 1945 in Germany....

WC54-1-1M-C-17-FRANK.jpg

Hi Robert,

Nice photo thanks for allowing it to be shown again, it appears to have a second blackout lamp added to the opposite side of the grill, your father probably stood in front of the factory fitted one . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert

Just found the info about the location of the photo here: 

WC54-1-1M-C-17-FRANK.jpg

He went over late in the war with 16th AD to Chechslovakia {sp} Then switched to 1st ID  as a medic as he swpoke German to treat German POWs in Nurinberg Ger,mny

Hello, I just finished reading this forum from start to finish. It has been a great experience seeing all of the then and now pictures and the footlocker adventures were great as well. In the beginning of this forum a veteran named Kelso Horne was discussed and I just thought I would add a note that his memory lives on here in Georgia. I live in the county next to the one that he was born and lived in. In Dublin, Laurens county, Georgia they have a stretch of highway named in his honor. I never had the privilege of meeting him but sure wish I did. I copied the magazine picture from this forum (hope that is ok with you Ken) and here is a picture of the highway sign.

Darryl

fullsizeoutput_12f29.jpeg.605459352ff0f788fd502b28aa98893b.jpeg

received_922415315586650.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dbond said:

Hello, I just finished reading this forum from start to finish. It has been a great experience seeing all of the then and now pictures and the footlocker adventures were great as well. In the beginning of this forum a veteran named Kelso Horne was discussed and I just thought I would add a note that his memory lives on here in Georgia. I live in the county next to the one that he was born and lived in. In Dublin, Laurens county, Georgia they have a stretch of highway named in his honor. I never had the privilege of meeting him but sure wish I did. I copied the magazine picture from this forum (hope that is ok with you Ken) and here is a picture of the highway sign.

Darryl

Welcome to Norman D Landing!  It's about my favorite place on the internet. I did the same thing when I first stumbled in here a few years ago, went back to the beginning and read it right through.  I laughed, I cried, and learned a lot of interesting things and met some great people here. 

I was in Georgia a little south of Atlanta for the first time last month for my niece's wedding.   I wish I was able to stay longer than the few days I was there and look around more.    

Nice to have you here,

Mikie

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Dbond said:

Darryl

Hello Darryl,

Welcome to the forum / thread, I wished it to be a two way street with anyone & everyone joining in and sharing information both ways, maybe you would have been unaware of his ashes being returned here to France where he fought and the famous image was taken.  Likewise I and possibly others would be unaware that there was a memorial highway named after him, thanks for sharing and posting a shot of the sign.

I used to visit Bainbridge Georgia between 1992 and 1999 and enjoyed doing so.  I hope you continue to enjoy reading and posting to the forum / thread.  Regards

Congratulations to all participants for what must be the longest thread on any forum!!!  I've seen 900 posts before but never 900 pages!!!  (Drat, editing as I was hoping to be at the top of page 900 but congratulations still applies. :D)

General Apathy

Hi Imrobil,

well thank you,  and congratulations that you have read nearly 900 pages to reach this point, it's been interesting writing and sharing along the way with so many fellow members, I hope we continue for some time to come . . . . . . . . .  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 15  2022.  

General Apathy

A mid 70's Utah beach photo sent to me by Jeeping friend Len, Len recalls visiting the beach bunkers with the two Americans on the MVCG tour of Normandy, the one on the left being Chris Brunner ( Seattle ) wearing sun glasses. It's believed that this style of bunker was for a search-light. 

In 2010 thirty-five years after Len's photograph was taken friends and myself found the 500 Lb aircraft bomb just yards away from the same bunker, I reported it to the Gendarmes who came and took a GPS reading and removed it three days later, leaving the tail-fin on the beach which I took home.  

.fullsizeoutput_16f7c.jpeg.7924c2d5ad31f0c08ef0f64776f007a1.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_16bd4.jpeg.eed03416d87da14f8256ac568d170c13.jpeg

General Apathy

Vehicle registration plates . . . . . . 

In France when a vehicle is issued a registration number it remains with the vehicle for the rest of its life.  Sadly my Jeep has a rather uninteresting non-descript plate, in the UK drivers are allowed to buy and transfer registration plates, and I did have a few interesting plates.

I was amused a few days ago to see a French vehicle with a plate that would have been fun on the Jeep ' FR - 917 - WD ', this could be read as  ' FRance - 917 - War-Dept '. A London Jeeping friend has four numbers & the letters WD on his plate, and most other UK owners have interesting old age related plates on their Jeeps, I believe one owner may have ' 1944 GPW ' or something similar. 

My American built pickup had ' GI NDL ' which for my purpose read as ' GI Norman D. Landing ', sadly I no longer have the pick-up but I transferred the registration plate to my daughter.  

IMG_3556.jpg.7e631e02498068a076459223463507f1.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_1702e.jpeg.8d0fa9593f97a625a2eb513a52a324ef.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Spotted in St Tropez, France in the Summer of 2018...

A post WW2 Hotchkiss M201 Jeep with a Willys plate.... LOL

It is a Belgian plate... you can buy your own plate for around 1000 Euro/Dollars...

France-06-19-Aug-18-Iphone-Johan (123).JPG