Norman D. Landing

bilko1

5 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Well, that still happens... Last Saturday when I took the photo of the Jeep parked near the entrance of the farm, as I got back in the Jeep to reverse onto the cobble stone road, I noticed an older gentleman negotiating the cobbles on his bicycle and waited for him to ride by before maneuvering back into the street.
As he passed me he stopped, looked at the Jeep and started talking about how as a very young boy just after the war he remembered they had a Jeep to do basic farmwork because they were easier to get and cheaper than a then new tractor.
Seems he remembered a lot about Jeeps and vintage machinery, so I cut off the the engine and had a very enjoyable chat for over half an hour with him, talking about Jeeps, trucks, tractors and the lot... Took him back to his younger years....

27-GPW56685-26Nov22 (8).JPG

Johan,

These are the stories I love to hear about! This is why we restore rusty old things. 

..Kat

General Apathy

Hi Johan.

Here's one for you, Belgian Army Pigeon Corp WWI . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_16bbe.jpeg.1c88b3d80380fb8f029660d2a96eb340.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 30  2022.

General Apathy

Hi music lovers . . . . . 

Sad news this evening that Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac has died aged 79, from a short illness.  

.aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlLmloZWFydC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL3JvdmkvMTA4MC8wMDAxLzMzMS9NSTAwMDEzMzExMDcuanBn.jpeg.35cd3d55c7e85abd69bb8a56a11fa6a8.jpeg

Kurt Barickman

Yes, sad indeed. Was really impressed that last time they all toured together about 8 years ago in St. Paul and was very impressed by her and all the other old people in the band. I say old tongue in cheek here. Of all the members, she was probably the LAST member I would have thought would die the soonest of the rest of them.

Kurt

General Apathy

This haunting version of Fleetwood Mac's " Sara " . . . . . . by the tribute band Rumours of Fleetwood Mac is my favourite.   

General Apathy
23 minutes ago, Kurt Barickman said:

Yes, sad indeed. Was really impressed that last time they all toured together about 8 years ago in St. Paul and was very impressed by her and all the other old people in the band. I say old tongue in cheek here. Of all the members, she was probably the LAST member I would have thought would die the soonest of the rest of them.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt,

Thank you joining in and for sharing your memories of seeing the band, sadly bands like these don't occur as often these days, yes they are the old people who made this band. !!!

General Apathy
6 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Is that an airborne patch on his cap?

Hi Peter.

Most likely,  sections of the US Airborne trained at Fort Benning during WWII, note the unusual early style open wings on this pillow sham.   

.fullsizeoutput_16be0.jpeg.c5824e96438cd0d741956a7ff55c16d2.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 01  2022.  ( four weeks to Christmas )

Was feeling a little under the weather this morning. Just tested positive for covid. Symptoms are mild so far. Slight fever, scratchy throat and tired feeling. Thought it was just a mild cold. No idea where or when i got it. I'm far more worried aboout passing it on than for myself. Take care everyone. Keep the interesting posts coming! 

Mikie

General Apathy
8 hours ago, mikie said:

Was feeling a little under the weather this morning. Just tested positive for covid. Symptoms are mild so far. Slight fever, scratchy throat and tired feeling. Thought it was just a mild cold. No idea where or when i got it. I'm far more worried aboout passing it on than for myself. Take care everyone. Keep the interesting posts coming! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

well take care and keep safe, wishing you well, wait to hear more from you again especially that you have recovered . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 01  2022.  

8 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

I’ve had covid twice.

Just getting over my second time.

Came home from the flea market Sunday with exact same symptoms plus a fever of 101 but that only lasted a day.

I needed the rest.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

I’ve had covid twice.

Came home from the flea market Sunday with exact same symptoms plus a fever of 101 but that only lasted a day.

I needed the rest.

Hi Peter,

well take care and keep safe sorry to hear you are having a second bout, wishing you well, wait to hear more from you again especially that you have recovered . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  December 02  2022.  

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Peter,

well take care and keep safe sorry to hear you are having a second bout, wishing you well, wait to hear more from you again especially that you have recovered . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you Ken, I’m doing much better today. 

Ive been sicker.

4 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I’ve had covid twice.

I needed the rest.

Twice? You must have really enjoyed it the first time!

Take care! 

4 minutes ago, mikie said:

Twice? You must have really enjoyed it the first time!

Take care! 

I had it almost 2 months ago for 3 days but tired for several weeks.

This time it’s moving through more rapidly due to the immunity I have.

Im around lots of people including school aged children and I didn’t get vaxed.

My doctor is very pleased at how well I do with it.

Im glad he’s happy, I’m just happy I have a good excuse to lay around the house and do nothing.

General Apathy

Willys Slat Grille Jeep Speedometer repair . . . . . . . . .

a Jeeping friend in the UK has an early Willys ' Slat-Grille ' Jeep,  The speedometers are extremely hard to find as they are only marked every five miles not every mile as the later more common speedometers are.  Most of the numbers on the mileage and tripmeter had peeled away over the years, fortunately he is a graphic artist and so he repainted the numbers by hand, repairing and rebuilding the Speedometer again. 

.IMG_6743.jpeg.685352a006617fd6e976100604013256.jpeg

P1000386.jpeg.fd543c053756f10c3a5d510d92fdae5b.jpeg

IMG_7681.jpeg.e1e19e7105b8d4c7540a94dce7c960fb.jpeg

IMG_7684.jpeg.6331a259a48350cce153de4826021397.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16cbf.jpeg.02dd6df8e09306ec4d8b7383b0bd25be.jpeg

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

a Jeeping friend in the UK has an early Willys ' Slat-Grille ' Jeep,  The speedometers are extremely hard to find as they are only marked every five miles not every mile as the later more common speedometers are.  Most of the numbers on the mileage and tripmeter had peeled away over the years, fortunately he is a graphic artist and so he repainted the numbers by hand, repairing and rebuilding the Speedometer again. 

Out of likes, but impressive workmanship. 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:20 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi music lovers . . . . . 

Sad news this evening that Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac has died aged 79, from a short illness.  

.Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun - YouTube

I wasn't aware she was already 79 years old. Great voice and songwriting. This one of my favourites from her.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:48 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan.

Here's one for you, Belgian Army Pigeon Corp WWI . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_16bbe.jpeg.1c88b3d80380fb8f029660d2a96eb340.jpeg

To become a member of that Corps you probably had to be pigeonholed...........

On 12/2/2022 at 6:06 AM, Dogsbody said:

To become a member of that Corps you probably had to be pigeonholed...........

That comment is for the birds. That was a bad one, i know. Certaily not a feather in my cap. Forgive me, I'm sick, ok. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, General Apathy said:

Rare they are... like all slat parts :)

JMP does a repro, but it seems the first batch at least (of all their speedo models) had some quality issues. Another part I need, ofc lol

14 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Jeeps... a never ending story....

Started on another one today.... 1942 MB

83-MB150823-03Dec22 (1).JPG

Nice Johan, yours?

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, earlymb said:

Nice Johan, yours?

No, a Jeepin friend with whom I have restored many vehicles over the past 30 years...
Basically it's a complete July/August 1942 rolling frame with matching ACM1 body and parts; sadly no engine or transmission...
It is a project which we will tackle in the next year or so and once all of the parts we have are finished; we will see how it evolves...