Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
2 hours ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken, A fun day being had for sure!! That is a lovely looking piece of camo. It looks good to me. I reckon it will be upwards of €3k. I never bought one, as the matching trousers were impossible to find. I only know of one person in the UK who has an original pair..... rarer than identified 101st 506th Airborne reinforced pants!!!

Thanks again for thinking of me! Cheers!

Hi Graham,

looking at the camo smock photo again, I see that the elbow patch is NOT herringbone material whereas the rest of the material is herringbone, so looks good I believe, but as I said I never picked its up to inspect it in hand, it looks so clean compared to the one I had which sold in 2018.

Sadly we question everything we see now, as so many pieces of U.S. clothing and equipment has been copied. When I was in the states twenty years ago at a fair I almost picked up some matchbooks to buy,  it was only on closer inspection that I could see they were photo-copies which included the worn edges of the folds from the ones they had photo-copied, buyer beware.   

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 27  2022.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, BryanJ said:

Some pretty interesting M-1 helmets in the photo.  Authentic or repainted?

Hi Bryan,

I think it's necessary now to look and inspect any painted helmets now, so many painted up for films and re-enactor use.  

General Apathy
1 hour ago, American Graffiti said:

Hi Ken,

You have me mistaken, I've never been to Normandy and never sat in your Jeep, sadly.

I did like the comment about being born waterproof as Brits, being from the North the rain never bothered me when I was younger, but I think our waterproof coating starts to rub off as we get older😆 so I might start spraying myself with cheap paraffin in future, seems to work OK👍

AG

Hi AG,

Well it's always hard knowing who someone is from a forum name  ( pseudonym ) from previous posts you have made I was guessing at your name.  !!!  I should have taken on board when you said that you had never been to ' Uncle Sams ' in a different forum topic, I memorised that but it threw me a bit before.

Anyway pleased that you read and take part in the thread.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

Not sure which is rarer around here, rain or a militaria show! Its been a long time for either. We could sure use a lot of both! 

I am curious, though, besides the parafin, what else do you do to keep all that rain from causing rot or rust in the tub? 

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

Well it's surprising on a wet day what gets wet and what stays dry underneath a Jeep.  The short answer about the design fault of a Jeep is on the underside of the floor on the passenger side of the vehicle. During manufacture shaped channels are attached on the underside for strength, these were probably never painted on the inside as they would be unseen, also there was only a three-month life expectancy of a Jeep due to combat conditions so it wouldn't have been that important.

Inside these channels are sections of wood both for lightness and added strengthening.  These pieces of wood hold water when they become wet and retain water entering through the open ends of the channel, these wet pieces initiate rust and rot from the underside of the floor, which little can be done now to prevent since WWII manufacture and also prior to technological advances in paint and waterproofing material we now have today. Lots of Jeeps will have had patches or plates welded over the floor to strengthen and hide rotten areas, or maybe the floor even replaced completely, but to successfully attach a new floor then it's a body off chassis operation.  

Here in France a company called ' Jeepest ' supply replacement floor panels or channeling dependent on an owners requirements.

https://jeepest.com/gb/1339-floors-panels-mb-gpw-m201

fullsizeoutput_1693a.jpeg.9dc02dae0da72fac1f8d5d6b848ffa0f.jpeg

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

Well it's surprising on a wet day what gets wet and what stays dry underneath a Jeep.  The short answer about the design fault of a Jeep is on the underside of the floor on the passenger side of the vehicle. During manufacture shaped channels are attached on the underside for strength, these were probably never painted on the inside as they would be unseen, also there was only a three-month life expectancy of a Jeep due to combat conditions so it wouldn't have been that important.

Inside these channels are sections of wood both for lightness and added strengthening.  These pieces of wood hold water when they become wet and retain water entering through the open ends of the channel, these wet pieces initiate rust and rot from the underside of the floor, which little can be done now to prevent since WWII manufacture and also prior to technological advances in paint and waterproofing material we now have today. Lots of Jeeps will have had patches or plates welded over the floor to strengthen and hide rotten areas, or maybe the floor even replaced completely, but to successfully attach a new floor then it's a body off chassis operation.  

Here in France a company called ' Jeepest ' supply replacement floor panels or channeling dependent on an owners requirements.

https://jeepest.com/gb/1339-floors-panels-mb-gpw-m201

fullsizeoutput_1693a.jpeg.9dc02dae0da72fac1f8d5d6b848ffa0f.jpeg

Ken,

I find it interesting that the life expectancy of a jeep was only 3 months.  You truly are a fountain of knowledge. 

...Kat

General Apathy
16 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I find it interesting that the life expectancy of a jeep was only 3 months.  

...Kat

Hi Kat,  well with shelling and shooting and harsh driving conditions it was all part of the reason they had a short life expectancy  . . . . . .

Just received the following images today from a UK Jeeping friend that has just made contact again after I posted some Jeep images in the latest issue of the UK military vehicle club magazine ( MVT Windscreen magazine ). There's a possibility that I might receive a short video clip of this days outing sometime shortly.

I still own some old tax discs from a Jeep in the photo's . 

fullsizeoutput_16a19.jpeg.69510c802b57206da829c86c08d9be3e.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_16a25.jpeg.562f96635605ae4dbf0cf0e28e01a257.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a2d.jpeg.4ee443ea34d6e234b964d2d2521deb32.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a2a.jpeg.3e734a255e55c8da40df6ae1d89cc7b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a0e.jpeg.ce45503db349a00e79f10a3d7c825abc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a1e.jpeg.fefa144d306936ad3333950678baeb6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a3f.jpeg.a9de80f5143395683185735c16ee7c9a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 28  2022.

General Apathy

Len has checked the British Government DVLA website and the Jeep FOT 28 is still registered with them, however it never gives owner or address details.   

.fullsizeoutput_16ada.jpeg.660c7c33565053666b7cba2ad3d8c1d0.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 29  2022.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  well with shelling and shooting and harsh driving conditions it was all part of the reason they had a short life expectancy  . . . . . .

Just received the following images today from a UK Jeeping friend that has just made contact again after I posted some Jeep images in the latest issue of the UK military vehicle club magazine ( MVT Windscreen magazine ). There's a possibility that I might receive a short video clip of this days outing sometime shortly.

I still own some old tax discs from a Jeep in the photo's . 

fullsizeoutput_16a19.jpeg.69510c802b57206da829c86c08d9be3e.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_16a25.jpeg.562f96635605ae4dbf0cf0e28e01a257.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a2d.jpeg.4ee443ea34d6e234b964d2d2521deb32.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a2a.jpeg.3e734a255e55c8da40df6ae1d89cc7b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a0e.jpeg.ce45503db349a00e79f10a3d7c825abc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a1e.jpeg.fefa144d306936ad3333950678baeb6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a3f.jpeg.a9de80f5143395683185735c16ee7c9a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 28  2022.

MTV Windscreen magazine ....aptly named for someone who rarely uses one 😄.

I guess a lot of environmentalists will get a heart attack seeing those pictures. Different times.

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

MTV Windscreen magazine ....aptly named for someone who rarely uses one 😄.

I guess a lot of environmentalists will get a heart attack seeing those pictures. Different times.

Hi Rene,

hahhaaaa, must admit that I hadn't thought about the Windscreen connection, or lack of connection as I don't use one. I am a life member of the British MVCG / MVT I joined the vehicle club in 1973 as I realised that I would be Jeeping around for the rest of my life . . . . . . . 

Also Rene,  I can say that I have always been pleased that I was born when I was and you are right it's a changing world and myself and friends had the best of it, the war had been over for thirty years, plenty of surplussed military vehicles around to buy, gas was only pennies a gallon. Yes it was so cheap people bought gas by the gallon, it was only sold by the litre when it became so expensive.

Touring Europe in Jeeps, Dodges and GMC's wasn't too expensive, the vehicles could be parked anywhere without loss or damage, no-one was screaming that we were driving gas-guzzlers, everyone smiled, waved and spoke to us.

And lets not forget the great music,  It was money for nothing and the chicks were free . . . . . . . . . . If I am allowed to now say that.  

There was / is much more that I could drone on about but lets not over-do it. enough for now, I lived a life and did it my way. !!

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . 

Pigeon Corp equipment, the vests were packed 10 to a carton, the leg capsules and paperwork came separately to the vests.  Always amused me thinking of the troops reading and laughing at the manufacturer of the vests, ' Maiden Form Brassiere Co. '.  When I had my store running I had a wooden crate full of these pigeon vest cartons, all unopened and unissued.  

fullsizeoutput_16af2.jpeg.eaee909f3321bf66bff88b6171f05a62.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_16b08.jpeg.7bfc837ee20f2d1a2dd7f157d1faa7eb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b02.jpeg.02bf6d80b4df4fb1440ba243b57cd0cf.jpeg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Cool item, how was the vest used?

Hi Peter,

The pigeon was laced into the vest and then with a long attached strap secured around the soldiers body.

.fullsizeoutput_16b19.jpeg.1f929af99db5d843e1fc7e98d1c4df9d.jpeg 

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . 

part of my pigeon collection of containers, vests, leg capsules, message books and overlay sheets, all sold in my auction of 2018. I don't have a better image of the 8 bird parachute container to hand at this moment

.fullsizeoutput_16b23.jpeg.7f5900c829c1aed12d43f340a278a503.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b2c.jpeg.cb988dcd5c0f6b719e578392da8e4a70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b36.jpeg.4a65d772c38a32cbfd37f1fbb599449d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b40.jpeg.bcbc194179221ae9a617cd8dccf6c977.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b48.jpeg.3fcfc7c6fbc8706d9f0f1d408e5fe165.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b49.jpeg.8efb81217b59cbbb3ed06fd1ddff1544.jpeg

That was a brave paratrooper to rely up that pigeon to fly him down safely.  At least they gave him a reserve chute In the event the pigeon became distracted while on the way down.

General Apathy
1 minute ago, BryanJ said:

That was a brave paratrooper to rely up that pigeon to fly him down safely.  At least they gave him a reserve chute In the event the pigeon became distracted while on the way down.

Hi BryanJ,

I bet it was confusing to the pigeon that he was hundreds of feet in the air and unable to use his wings. !!!!!

Johan Willaert
18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Not quite clear what make and model the vehicle in the photo above is, but when a friend restored a rather rare Dodge WC37 Panel Van many years ago, I showed him this photo from your book and he went ahead and marked his truck accordingly...

WC37-1.jpg

18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . 

part of my pigeon collection of containers, vests, leg capsules, message books and overlay sheets, all sold in my auction of 2018. I don't have a better image of the 8 bird parachute container to hand at this moment

.fullsizeoutput_16b23.jpeg.7f5900c829c1aed12d43f340a278a503.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b2c.jpeg.cb988dcd5c0f6b719e578392da8e4a70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b36.jpeg.4a65d772c38a32cbfd37f1fbb599449d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b40.jpeg.bcbc194179221ae9a617cd8dccf6c977.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16b48.jpeg.3fcfc7c6fbc8706d9f0f1d408e5fe165.jpeg

What is that patch on his hat? 

Looks airborne.

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

Thanks,   I think it is the same style of panel van as your friend has / had, with the side panels chopped out and wire mesh added to give the pigeons fresh  air and alleviate the smells..  Note the wire mesh just in front of his chest and behind his back.

.fullsizeoutput_16bbb.jpeg.6bd7d2977bc779d34aaca387d83bab0e.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 30  2022.

Johan Willaert
21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Touring Europe in Jeeps, Dodges and GMC's wasn't too expensive, the vehicles could be parked anywhere without loss or damage, no-one was screaming that we were driving gas-guzzlers, everyone smiled, waved and spoke to us.

Well, that still happens... Last Saturday when I took the photo of the Jeep parked near the entrance of the farm, as I got back in the Jeep to reverse onto the cobble stone road, I noticed an older gentleman negotiating the cobbles on his bicycle and waited for him to ride by before maneuvering back into the street.
As he passed me he stopped, looked at the Jeep and started talking about how as a very young boy just after the war he remembered they had a Jeep to do basic farmwork because they were easier to get and cheaper than a then new tractor.
Seems he remembered a lot about Jeeps and vintage machinery, so I cut off the the engine and had a very enjoyable chat for over half an hour with him, talking about Jeeps, trucks, tractors and the lot... Took him back to his younger years....

27-GPW56685-26Nov22 (8).JPG

General Apathy
48 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Thanks,   I think it is the same style of panel van as your friend has / had, with the side panels chopped out and wire mesh added to give the pigeons fresh  air and alleviate the smells..  Note the wire mesh just in front of his chest and behind his back.

Hi,

Forgot to say that the van had rolled canvas sides for weatherproofing, notice the roll of canvas behind his shoulders and the end of the roll near his nose. !!!

19 hours ago, BryanJ said:

:lol:

General Apathy
45 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Well, that still happens... Last Saturday when I took the photo of the Jeep parked near the entrance of the farm, as I got back in the Jeep to reverse onto the cobble stone road, I noticed an older gentleman negotiating the cobbles on his bicycle and waited for him to ride by before maneuvering back into the street.
As he passed me he stopped, looked at the Jeep and started talking about how as a very young boy just after the war he remembered they had a Jeep to do basic farmwork because they were easier to get and cheaper than a then new tractor.
Seems he remembered a lot about Jeeps and vintage machinery, so I cut off the the engine and had a very enjoyable chat for over half an hour with him, talking about Jeeps, trucks, tractors and the lot... Took him back to his younger years....

27-GPW56685-26Nov22 (8).JPG

Geez Johan,

If a half hour conversation is that simple to take someone back to their younger years, we better have a LONG conversation next time we meet to rewind some of my years . . . . . . . . . !!!

Sadly there are very few people now around that were old enough to either have lived through some of the war years or the years soon after the war..  In one conversation a couple of years back an older fella started relating that there were differences between Willys & Ford Jeeps.

59 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Is that an airborne patch on his cap?