Norman D. Landing

bilko1

54 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Guy,   

Welcome,  putting several clues together but ( no surname given )  then I'm figuring we are friends . . . . . . . the clues ' Ken, Belgium, Guy '  . . . . . . .

Sadly Guy we were on a mission when we passed by the Yorktown so although seen from a distance we didn't have time to climb aboard, always thought there would be another time, sometimes there just isn't another time. . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_16352.jpeg.fec645909648f9b09f88d33bed6338eb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

Same here.  I would have loved to see her up close, we just didn't have time this trip.  We did see  her from across the harbor.  As also being a space buff, the Yorktown was the recovery ship for Apollo 8, mankind's first trip to the moon.  

Mikie

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well here we are with a Then & Now again images from Len . . . . . 

Len sent me these images of Rheims in 1944 and our MVCG trip in 1976 . . . I think we had well over a hundred vehicles once again it was probably the first time since 1944 that so many historic military vehicles passed through the town notice the crowds leading to the church.  

.fullsizeoutput_15d70.jpeg.b51f63b37dd26f56fb518efa37f168de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d56.jpeg.25a1e2771591d6376ae6beda3a955b05.jpeg

Thanks to Len for these photos!  

Mikie

19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

thanks for the photos, it's a beautiful area around Charleston SC, I see you were caught snacking while the girls weren't looking . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_16279.jpeg.ba3e2d84d202e675104452bbcbeb379a.jpeg

😄 Good luck dunking that one.

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well here we are with a Then & Now again images from Len . . . . . 

Len sent me these images of Rheims in 1944 and our MVCG trip in 1976 . . . I think we had well over a hundred vehicles once again it was probably the first time since 1944 that so many historic military vehicles passed through the town notice the crowds leading to the church.  

.fullsizeoutput_15d70.jpeg.b51f63b37dd26f56fb518efa37f168de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d56.jpeg.25a1e2771591d6376ae6beda3a955b05.jpeg

Interestingly in the Then shot you can see a car with torpedo shaped tubes on the roof. Due to fuel shortages people had to be inventive. This car is converted to be able to drive on natural gas.

6a00e0099229e88833014e60e7fb4a970c-500wi.jpg.c4e8311485e4376acdde09bb692cdb43.jpg

A couple of photos from the 8th AAF museum in Savannah, Ga.  Nice museum to visit if you’re in the area.  There are steps leading up into the B17, which normally is cordoned off to the public with a big “Do Not Enter” sign.  But today, the museum was not busy, and there was a technician working inside the plane.  The technician had apparently taken down the rope and sign, so up the steps I bound, thinking the inside of the plane is open to the public.  So, I’m stepping around the technician, moving the machine guns, heading up to the cockpit, when it occurs to me that based upon equipment I’m maneuvering around, that perhaps the inside of the plane is not supposed to be open to the public.  So, I maneuver back around the technician, down the steps, past the rope that had now been put back into its rightful place, supporting the big “Do Not Enter” sign, back to my wife who is mortified, standing at the bottom of the steps.  I wanted to take the Jeep for a spin, but that might have been a little too much.

83C88D57-D358-4BE8-8115-4D50665F9938.jpeg

2BF453D8-AA71-4D3D-90F7-9F79521B89A6.jpeg

80D771CE-01E4-4B12-8A9D-F618F939EBA0.jpeg

1 hour ago, BryanJ said:

A couple of photos from the 8th AAF museum in Savannah, Ga.  Nice museum to visit if you’re in the area.  There are steps leading up into the B17, which normally is cordoned off to the public with a big “Do Not Enter” sign.  But today, the museum was not busy, and there was a technician working inside the plane.  The technician had apparently taken down the rope and sign, so up the steps I bound, thinking the inside of the plane is open to the public.  So, I’m stepping around the technician, moving the machine guns, heading up to the cockpit, when it occurs to me that based upon equipment I’m maneuvering around, that perhaps the inside of the plane is not supposed to be open to the public.  So, I maneuver back around the technician, down the steps, past the rope that had now been put back into its rightful place, supporting the big “Do Not Enter” sign, back to my wife who is mortified, standing at the bottom of the steps.  I wanted to take the Jeep for a spin, but that might have been a little too much.

You got to play around in a B-17 and you didn't get arrested.  Sounds like a win to me!  

Mikie

One more thing from my recent trip, though it is not military in any way.  But it was pretty cool and kept me amused. 

One of our hotels had this neat automated pancake maker! Push the button and the machine plops a ball of batter on the conveyor. On the way down the conveyor belt the batter is flatted and cooked. Then plops out the end. They were far from the best pancakes ever, but some of the most entertaining.     

Mikie

Charleston Pancakes.jpg

General Apathy
11 hours ago, BryanJ said:

Hi BryanJ,

great shots, love the ' silver-unpainted  ' B-17,  looking at the Jeep most of the details I could manage to see show it to be overall a Willy's MB model, going on the chassis/ frame, springs and engine hood but the front bumper is a Ford piece ( original / repro ?? ), hard to see without close up's but the front rim appears to be an early non-split rim, and the rear a two piece combat rim.  Would love to see the museum again it was the early 90's when I last visited, don't recall the Jeep at that time, well not in pristine condition.  Thanks for the images.  

.fullsizeoutput_16365.jpeg.963bdf3410462ca8cf6325d505a3a69a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 17  2022.

Johan Willaert
16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Guy,   

Welcome,  putting several clues together but ( no surname given )  then I'm figuring we are friends . . . . . . . the clues ' Ken, Belgium, Guy '  . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_16352.jpeg.fec645909648f9b09f88d33bed6338eb.jpeg

Plus I believe you saw each other last at my 50th BD party in Bruges, Belgium back in 2016…

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

One more thing from my recent trip, though it is not military in any way.  But it was pretty cool and kept me amused. 

One of our hotels had this neat automated pancake maker! Push the button and the machine plops a ball of batter on the conveyor. On the way down the conveyor belt the batter is flatted and cooked. Then plops out the end. They were far from the best pancakes ever, but some of the most entertaining.     

Mikie

Charleston Pancakes.jpg

I suppose the quality / taste of the pancakes would depend on the mixture used, I suppose the ingredients wouldn't be fresh home-made style

like mother used to make . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
1 minute ago, Johan Willaert said:

Plus I believe you saw each other last at my 50th BD party in Bruges, Belgium back in 2016…

Hells-Bells Johan,  that was SIX years ago . . . . . . . .  seems like ten. 🙀

General Apathy
12 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Interestingly in the Then shot you can see a car with torpedo shaped tubes on the roof. Due to fuel shortages people had to be inventive. This car is converted to be able to drive on natural gas.

6a00e0099229e88833014e60e7fb4a970c-500wi.jpg.c4e8311485e4376acdde09bb692cdb43.jpg

Hi Rene,  yes obviously a French owned car the front wing is dented,  funnily enough when I was sat on a supermarket carpark yesterday I did a quick visual survey of the amount of cars with dents, scratches and scrapes after looking at the one that had parked next to me.  Noting that most drivers try to get as close to the supermarket doors and as close to one another as possible I always park across the car park away from the congregation.

16 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Charleston Pancakes.jpg

😄Nice pancake landing.

Here's another one I found on the web. Is it me or does this frontview somewhat resemble starship Enterprise.

Popcake-Automatic-Pancake-Maker-2.webp.6ed38a27f3110f1b674b580995dac1e0.webp

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

😄Nice pancake landing.

Here's another one I found on the web. Is it me or does this frontview somewhat resemble starship Enterprise.

Popcake-Automatic-Pancake-Maker-2.webp.6ed38a27f3110f1b674b580995dac1e0.webp

When I was a kid, my dad knew just how to get me out of bed early on Sunday mornings... Cook pancakes and bacon!  Wonderful aroma was impossible to resist.  As for the Starship Enterprise, Dad's pancakes were not on the same planet as the ones from the machine.  Darn, now I have a craving for some pancakes!  

Mikie

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

A photo from a couple of weeks ago...
A friend's 1943 Willys MB and my 1942 Ford GPW....

Polderroute-09-11Sep22 (7).JPG

Look Keneth. Windshield up and top on

General Apathy
9 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

Look Keneth. Windshield up and top on

Hi Robert,  

yep today's youngsters what can anyone do with them.   . . . . . . . . . . . . !!!!!!  They even have tents for sleeping in !!!!!!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 18  2022.

9 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Robert,  

yep today's youngsters what can anyone do with them.   . . . . . . . . . . . . !!!!!!  They even have tents for sleeping in !!!!!!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 18  2022.

:lol:

On 11/15/2022 at 10:17 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

One of my favourite magazine covers, which I've hung on to . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_1621f.jpeg.db6e883f7b4e21fe040433292366820f.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

Hi Ken, that is a lovely magazine cover.... I found a "similar" wartime (non military) example, which I just had to get framed. It caught my eye for sure.....

spot - Copy.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken, that is a lovely magazine cover.... I found a "similar" wartime (non military) example, which I just had to get framed. It caught my eye for sure.....

.fullsizeoutput_16465.jpeg.5df146435d3fb192241917d9568893e2.jpeg

Hi Graham,

I think I see your attraction to this strange magazine, I see it's called ' SPOT ', is that in relation to the ' spot ' close to her right nostril . . . . . 😹

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 19  2022.

General Apathy

From my Shoebox of patches . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Kat, 

Here's an unusual WWII ' Women's Ambulance & Defense Corps ' patch, rare to find any photographs of it in use, I managed to capture this 1942 shot of the actress Ida Lupino wearing one on her shoulder along with one on her cap.

.fullsizeoutput_1646e.jpeg.b101c7c7dc624b315bb0d78c0abf9d4b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16471.jpeg.fe47ca0b086216d0c0d4a252abe6e89e.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

From my Shoebox of patches . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Kat, 

Here's an unusual WWII ' Women's Ambulance & Defense Corps ' patch, rare to find any photographs of it in use, I managed to capture this 1942 shot of the actress Ida Lupino wearing one on her shoulder along with one on her cap.

.fullsizeoutput_1646e.jpeg.b101c7c7dc624b315bb0d78c0abf9d4b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16471.jpeg.fe47ca0b086216d0c0d4a252abe6e89e.jpeg

Ken,

Very nice!! That is not a well known group of women who served.

...Kat