Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Anyone know anything about this?

 

To me it looks restored.

6E6E2BA8-3921-4B3E-971F-D6040852D0D1.jpeg

744DC0AF-0945-4B0C-8B40-EF6F62886B1D.jpeg

8709F011-B82B-42CA-9719-057B3031AE79.jpeg

To me it looks like a bike.  Beyond that, I'm out of my league.  Any story about it?

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, mikie said:

:lol: I can dig it. 

 

.

But can you cut it !!! you will need to make a tree-mendous effort . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 14  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess it was bound to happen at some point. If the idea was to preserve the area I can't help thinking only 30 plus years too late. Feels more like a money spinning excercise, tickets to gain entry have to be bought at the Bastogne Historical Centre.

 I'm so glad I got to walk through there for the first time in 1974 and many times after that.

Bois Jacques Oct 2022.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Escht said:

Guess it was bound to happen at some point. If the idea was to preserve the area I can't help thinking only 30 plus years too late. Feels more like a money spinning excercise, tickets to gain entry have to be bought at the Bastogne Historical Centre.

 I'm so glad I got to walk through there for the first time in 1974 and many times after that.

Bois Jacques Oct 2022.JPG

.

Hi Kevin,

 

apparently they are still looking for someone called Dick Winters, he paid for one in December 44 and took another 480 guys in on the same ticket . . . . . . . . . . .  Anyway I have his autographed ticket for sale if you should want it for your collection.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_161d1.jpeg.1936924c4132210181dd8267aabe6e90.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Sunday out in the Jeep . . . . . . .

 

Sunday morning we started the day at a vintage car show, at mid-day we convoyed over to the village of Graignes where there was heavy fighting between American paratroopers and German SS for the village.  The church was badly damaged during the fighting and only the centre section was retained as a monument after the war.  Last photo of our four vehicle convoy, a British Morris, two French Citroens and my

American Jeep . . . . . . . . . 

 

.IMG_3374.jpg.cee4683359be457feeec2c858caf0c0b.jpg

 

fullsizeoutput_16141.jpeg.a52e934ec5b1d55fa5d6996fdf6423bd.jpeg

 

fullsizeoutput_16144.jpeg.ad0ac3ae595d0f2ae88de99fc45d14c8.jpeg

 

IMG_3369.jpg.0aab98e5c33cf1edf5dccaec1bb87d4c.jpg

 

IMG_3376.jpg.552d79920ab917ce44a16434ef797d09.jpg

 

fullsizeoutput_16142.jpeg.9e9f2ec56169faba8d9d1dcdf76cf571.jpeg

 

IMG_3383.jpg.0fcd8ef42724cf6c308ec83ad93b734f.jpg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Moving on from Graignes we went to the village of Brevands.

 

In the churchyard at Brevands is the grave of a young nineteen year old RAF Spitfire pilot shot down in 1941.

 

The first two photos are within the churchyard, the second two are at the actual site of the Spitfire crash on the sea-ward side of the village

 

.IMG_3385.jpg.241314b400d60f265207b6f5254544de.jpg

 

IMG_3384.jpg.958cb05a6ad64bd63e04d2d50c282eac.jpg

 

fullsizeoutput_1614c.jpeg.05fc343b15f22303ce5c7a075b51e283.jpeg

 

IMG_3388.jpg.5dcae10fc2459eb8326fd0cbbfd5232d.jpg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Moving on from Graignes we went to the village of Brevands.

 

In the churchyard at Brevands is the grave of a young nineteen year old RAF Spitfire pilot shot down in 1941.

 

The first two photos are within the churchyard, the second two are at the actual site of the Spitfire crash on the sea-ward side of the village

 

.IMG_3385.jpg.241314b400d60f265207b6f5254544de.jpg

 

IMG_3384.jpg.958cb05a6ad64bd63e04d2d50c282eac.jpg

 

fullsizeoutput_1614c.jpeg.05fc343b15f22303ce5c7a075b51e283.jpeg

 

IMG_3388.jpg.5dcae10fc2459eb8326fd0cbbfd5232d.jpg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

But can you cut it !!! you will need to make a tree-mendous effort . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 14  2022.

 

...

Maybe I can branch out into a new career!  Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
5 minutes ago, mikie said:

Maybe I can branch out into a new career!  Mikie

.

Hi Mikie.

 

keep at it and don't leaf it alone, or it will never get done. . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, mikie said:

I used my old wreck of a 1944 folding shovel to make the ceremonial first dig for planting our new city-mandated street tree. Figured digging an 18 inch deep by 24 inch wide hole would be an easy 15 minute job. As usual I figured wrong. I got down an entire inch before hitting a big tangle of roots from the old tree. I don’t have a big assortment of tools for this kind of thing so it has taken an hour so far and I’m barely halfway done with the hole. The roots in the picture here are only the latest that I’ve unearthed. What fun!

Mikie

3E2B6535-8851-4846-86D7-A725C6782D3C.jpeg

5C9E2651-B1A6-4BDD-85ED-0938541F96FE.jpeg

438208D7-280F-4552-B4FB-D616C5FB192D.jpeg

At one point or another, I pulled out all my implements of destruction to dig the hole.  Not that they were much use, but I just couldn't resist moving some dirt with them just for fun since that is what they were meant to do.  Wreck of a 1944 folding shovel (but still digs a hole in the dirt as good as a new one), 1965 dated shovel with pick, and my beloved undated, pre-1917 pick-axe.  If only I had a live hand grenade, I would have been tempted to use it too.

 

Oh yeah, you can see a bit of my vintage Southern Lumber company yard stick too. I love old yardsticks, but only have a couple.  This one dates probably to the 60's or 70s?   

Mikie

Hole with impliments.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

A UK Jeeping friends latest project . . . . . . A 1940 Dodge VC1 command car. 

 

IMG_0032.JPG.cee7b784df0ecdb782112ee352978387.JPG.

 

IMG_0030.JPG.499f58b2658efe986be6e4d384daa022.JPG

 

IMG_0029.JPG.d8469b08dddc87f220bec2a047e49d9b.JPG

 

IMG_0028.JPG.07129da598ff0f0407ad504066355ea6.JPG

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mikie said:

At one point or another, I pulled out all my implements of destruction to dig the hole.  Not that they were much use, but I just couldn't resist moving some dirt with them just for fun since that is what they were meant to do.  Wreck of a 1944 folding shovel (but still digs a hole in the dirt as good as a new one), 1965 dated shovel with pick, and my beloved undated, pre-1917 pick-axe.  If only I had a live hand grenade, I would have been tempted to use it too.

 

Oh yeah, you can see a bit of my vintage Southern Lumber company yard stick too. I love old yardsticks, but only have a couple.  This one dates probably to the 60's or 70s?   

Mikie

Hole with impliments.jpeg

Mikie, I’m glad to see that when push comes to shove(l) a few roots won’t stump you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
50 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

CRTC = Cavalry Replacement Training Center at Fort Riley, Kansas?

.

Hi Johan,

 

Yes that's the place . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_16250.jpeg.9c4de3cace6fe9fdd6786949477c5388.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
On 11/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Hello Kat,

 

apologies to all the women that served, I didn't realise I had only written men and not included women as well

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 12  2022.

 

...

.

Hi Kat,

 

One of my favourite magazine covers, which I've hung on to . . . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_1621f.jpeg.db6e883f7b4e21fe040433292366820f.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now to torture you all with my vacation pics!  Hahahaha!  

First up is Battery Park in Charleston, South Carolina.  The mansions here were standing from before the US Civil War so are witnesses to the bombardment of Fort Sumter and the several attempts by the Union forces to get into the harbor over the next 4 years. Pictures include lovely wife Annie and dear daughter Kassidy soaking up the scenery, the 13 inch mortar is a little bit too heavy to pick up and stick on our car's trunk, and a distant view of Fort Sumter way out at the harbor entrance.      

charleston mansions.jpg

Charleston A and K.jpg

Charleston Mortar 13 inch.jpeg

Charleston SC Love my Morter.jpg

Charleston Ft Sumter.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
27 minutes ago, mikie said:

And now to torture you all with my vacation pics!  Hahahaha!  

First up is Battery Park in Charleston, South Carolina.  The mansions here were standing from before the US Civil War so are witnesses to the bombardment of Fort Sumter and the several attempts by the Union forces to get into the harbor over the next 4 years. Pictures include lovely wife Annie and dear daughter Kassidy soaking up the scenery, the 13 inch mortar is a little bit too heavy to pick up and stick on our car's trunk, and a distant view of Fort Sumter way out at the harbor entrance.      

charleston mansions.jpg

Charleston A and K.jpg

Charleston Mortar 13 inch.jpeg

Charleston SC Love my Morter.jpg

Charleston Ft Sumter.jpg

.

Hi Mikie.

 

thanks for the photos, it's a beautiful area around Charleston SC, I see you were caught snacking while the girls weren't looking . . . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_16279.jpeg.ba3e2d84d202e675104452bbcbeb379a.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie.

 

thanks for the photos, it's a beautiful area around Charleston SC, I see you were caught snacking while the girls weren't looking . . . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_16279.jpeg.ba3e2d84d202e675104452bbcbeb379a.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

 

...

:lol::lol::lol:  We only had barely a day to sightsee and visit friends.  Wish we could have had a couple of more days to explore.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Well here we are with a Then & Now again images from Len . . . . . 

 

Len sent me these images of Rheims in 1944 and our MVCG trip in 1976 . . . I think we had well over a hundred vehicles once again it was probably the first time since 1944 that so many historic military vehicles passed through the town notice the crowds leading to the church.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_15d70.jpeg.b51f63b37dd26f56fb518efa37f168de.jpeg

 

fullsizeoutput_15d56.jpeg.25a1e2771591d6376ae6beda3a955b05.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

 

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mikie said:

And now to torture you all with my vacation pics!  Hahahaha!  

First up is Battery Park in Charleston, South Carolina.  The mansions here were standing from before the US Civil War so are witnesses to the bombardment of Fort Sumter and the several attempts by the Union forces to get into the harbor over the next 4 years. Pictures include lovely wife Annie and dear daughter Kassidy soaking up the scenery, the 13 inch mortar is a little bit too heavy to pick up and stick on our car's trunk, and a distant view of Fort Sumter way out at the harbor entrance.      

charleston mansions.jpg

Charleston A and K.jpg

Charleston Mortar 13 inch.jpeg

Charleston SC Love my Morter.jpg

Charleston Ft Sumter.jpg

Ken, did you visit the USS Yorktown at Patriots Piont?

all the best,

Guy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Kevin,

 

apparently they are still looking for someone called Dick Winters, he paid for one in December 44 and took another 480 guys in on the same ticket . . . . . . . . . . .  Anyway I have his autographed ticket for sale if you should want it for your collection.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_161d1.jpeg.1936924c4132210181dd8267aabe6e90.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 15  2022.

 

...

Thanks for the offer but think I'll pass.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
8 hours ago, Sorcerer1 said:

Ken, did you visit the USS Yorktown at Patriots Piont?

all the best,

Guy

.

Hi Guy,   

 

Welcome,  putting several clues together but ( no surname given )  then I'm figuring we are friends . . . . . . . the clues ' Ken, Belgium, Guy '  . . . . . . .

 

Sadly Guy we were on a mission when we passed by the Yorktown so although seen from a distance we didn't have time to climb aboard, always thought there would be another time, sometimes there just isn't another time. . . . . . . . . . . .

 

.fullsizeoutput_16352.jpeg.fec645909648f9b09f88d33bed6338eb.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

 

...

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Guy,   

 

Welcome,  putting several clues together but ( no surname given )  then I'm figuring we are friends . . . . . . . the clues ' Ken, Belgium, Guy '  . . . . . . .

 

Sadly Guy we were on a mission when we passed by the Yorktown so although seen from a distance we didn't have time to climb aboard, always thought there would be another time, sometimes there just isn't another time. . . . . . . . . . . .

 

.fullsizeoutput_16352.jpeg.fec645909648f9b09f88d33bed6338eb.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 16  2022.

 

...

 

 

 

 

Ken, you are correct, long time ago when we tramped around in Marvie...;-)

I visited her in 1998ish...wish I knew then what I know now, but there is always that next time indeed....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...