Norman D. Landing

bilko1

6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Over the past months I have been completely refurbishing the Collection War Building and finally it is presentable..
Still need to finish a lot of small details and add short descriptions to the many named items but the base is there...
So a photo of one side of the displays.... pretty glad on how it turned out...

Enjoy,

Johan

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (34).JPG

Johan.  That is a great display.  Can you tell us more about it, where it’s located, etc.?

Johan Willaert
5 hours ago, Powerhouse said:

Amazing.....😲

Johan, just a little question : What is the green/yellow/green armband?

It is marked PHOTOGRAPHER.
Officially these would have been green with only a P, but found this one over the years and rather like it.
Mannequin is based on a still from footage shot in Normandy by Hollywood Director George Stevens' Signal Corps Special Coverage Unit (SPECOU) also shown, down to the British Pattern 37 holster holding my .38 Webley MkIV Revolver and ammo pouch

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (1).JPG

SPECOU-GI-WebleyHolsterAmmoPouch (1).jpg

PH-104 004.jpg

Johan Willaert
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

so pleased to see that you have a lot of your collection laid out and displayed, can't see that lovely blue denim set on any of the mannequins . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 31  2022.

The Denims are there, Ken... in the pre-1944 corner of my 29th Division timeline...
The denims, type I Service Shoes and 1941 tan Daisy Mae Hat illustrate the National Guard period of the Division, while next to it is a Captain of the 29th Provisional Ranger Battalion in 1943 during training in the British Commando Training Center in Achnacarry, Scotland. Again both mannequins based on period photos...

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (27).JPG

Johan Willaert
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan.

The US did use aluminium Perforated Steel Plank ( PSP ) during WWII here are the quantities produced 

.fullsizeoutput_15c11.jpeg.f8025a23361f1dc5be5c53fcc74d12b9.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 31  2022.

Thx Ken, I had some aluminium PSP laying around from our Land Rover 4x4 trips from years ago so I thought it was a nice touch to my USAAF Corner...

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (19).JPG

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, BryanJ said:

Johan.  That is a great display.  Can you tell us more about it, where it’s located, etc.?

Thx Bryan, All items are from my WW2 US Army collection of over 45 years.
The main focus of the collection is the 29th Division in WW2, but there's a lot more... And not everything's on display.
The one side of the display is a 29th Division in WW2 timeline with 6 mannequins based on period photos ( 1941-42 National Guard, 1943 29th Rangers, 1944 Omaha Beach and Normandy, 1944 Brittany and 1945 Germany ) and named items illustrating the 1941-1946 years.
Other walls show other units and Campaigns of the ETO in WW2.
Still need to add many smaller items, photos and descriptions..

Below are two more displays, a 2nd Armored Division tank driver during the Liberation of my country in September 1944, and two paratroopers of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st AB Division in Bastogne around January 1945

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (15).JPG

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (14).JPG

Johan.  That is a remarkable collection.  Thanks for sharing it with us!  Any words of wisdom you’d care to share for young collectors just starting out?  

Johan Willaert
22 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

Johan.  That is a remarkable collection.  Thanks for sharing it with us!  Any words of wisdom you’d care to share for young collectors just starting out?  

Thx... Unless your financial means are inexhaustible, today it would be fairly impossible to amass a collection like mine... and that is if you find the items.
My advice would be to stick to one campaign, unit or theme; make a wish list and take it from there... and be patient.... There will always be more items out there than you have money to spend on..

Also do your homework.... Get the basic books, visit museums, other collections, shows as much as you can... Get the feel of what original items look and smell like and also learn what the replicas look like.... Don't rely on others to tell you what's wrong or right... Buy what you are comfortable with and of course always buy the item, not the story!!
This other classic goes...!!! If it seems too good to be true; it probably is!!

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

Brian Dentino
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx... Unless your financial means are inexhaustible, today it would be fairly impossible to amass a collection like mine... and that is if you find the items.
My advice would be to stick to one campaign, unit or theme; make a wish list and take it from there... and be patient.... There will always be more items out there than you have money to spend on..

Also do your homework.... Get the basic books, visit museums, other collections, shows as much as you can... Get the feel of what original items look and smell like and also learn what the replicas look like.... Don't rely on others to tell you what's wrong or right... Buy what you are comfortable with and of course always buy the item, not the story!!

Johan, your words are sage and well put and your collection is just OVER the top!  For Bryan J, I would say that to get some of these items you may have to wait it out over time.  Eventually, everything gets recycled.  From one collection to another, the main point being is that there is a lot of amazing items in collections around the world of all kinds.  Most of the good stuff is in private collections at this point, but eventually everything turns over to the "newer" generation of collectors.  Save your money, bide your time, and wait until something comes available from another and snatch it up.  There is a finite amount of "good" items out there and most of them by now are in private collections.  These will become available eventually, you just have to wait for that time to come.  

15 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

I would add to the above with.

Don't be afraid to ask questions from those with a vast amount of knowledge, most are happy to help. Use the internet as a tool but definately not as the bible.

Not all 'barn finds' are found in barns, but I found some amazing items over the years in barns and houses. Although I was searching and asking farmers in the Ardennes for many years before Ebay arrived in Europe.

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

16 hours ago, Brian Dentino said:

Johan, your words are sage and well put and your collection is just OVER the top!  For Bryan J, I would say that to get some of these items you may have to wait it out over time.  Eventually, everything gets recycled.  From one collection to another, the main point being is that there is a lot of amazing items in collections around the world of all kinds.  Most of the good stuff is in private collections at this point, but eventually everything turns over to the "newer" generation of collectors.  Save your money, bide your time, and wait until something comes available from another and snatch it up.  There is a finite amount of "good" items out there and most of them by now are in private collections.  These will become available eventually, you just have to wait for that time to come.  

Some good advice above dedicate to a time, a period, a unit, a country don't just buy a hotch-potch of green bits from many countries, from many time periods a small dedicated collection has some merit.

I am pleased that Johan has managed to achieve displaying his interesting collection. Sadly my collection had to be boxed up in 1997 into many-many  cartons and suffered two house moves and one country move and I never achieved displaying it again and didn't foresee it ever being displayed again.  A photo of some of the cartons labelled with contents and finally displayed in 2018 at the auction house, it was something to see unfortunately I have mislaid all the images except the one below. 

.fullsizeoutput_15c2d.jpeg.17d9ffa3b10d5efd0c52adf96cfdaac5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cfb.jpeg.eb4d97aab0b63cddf68038d80db76500.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 27  2022.

General Apathy

As I can't show any of my collection as a displayed collection, then here are group shots of items sold in day one of four days auction ( two days in 2018 & two days in 2019 )

.fullsizeoutput_15c50.jpeg.7c754d60c57d0036a88c3135bb2924d3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c5a.jpeg.6b71daf2a28824913c045c6cee928f0d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c5e.jpeg.8289dc3ea95455c248948c30cde16674.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c66.jpeg.445b8344af27bbda5d18c7cb997282a6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c6c.jpeg.e4859e5dcb1b3ab8bca80f625c9f7876.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c76.jpeg.e2a98fadb9d1ff679893c6b7ae51ec56.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 01  2022.

General Apathy

2018 Auction Day One Cont . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_15c7e.jpeg.d8a6af620bed40b3b1cf57b972799deb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c86.jpeg.f97d191b7b239cb847695657707c01a6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c8e.jpeg.8b5f4ad8a8d06d4e8bc0e92770e7629c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c94.jpeg.f97f87173a31d688d88c829fd2006959.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c9a.jpeg.5c4bb7e50954dbc5d4b0fd468e4273ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15ca2.jpeg.00ccec3fb493c31862bf238aa0ed1a15.jpeg

General Apathy

2018 Auction Day One Cont . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_15caa.jpeg.51bfedfb200286fa40c7bca3abd19706.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cb2.jpeg.97abc1c12fc1739296c2334dbe704ada.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cba.jpeg.192e3603ec3a82f78e61e3b22a9ab553.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cc4.jpeg.5ec2b3ae45d9540f32f7b79ba86b73c5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15ccc.jpeg.2bbf2b78f3eb51a1e3fbb23df6090d9e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cd4.jpeg.8dce7f03928f0b88377693f28cfb53e5.jpeg

General Apathy

2018 Auction Day One Cont . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_15cdc.jpeg.1f27ef9a6b6c1af96a9c2ce08764270e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15ce4.jpeg.6716457ca590a792a92ba48fa2cd1121.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cea.jpeg.4022f3fa28088c0aea5fd452cb3a092d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cf2.jpeg.feca0fb6287d341bc10322c565502d4a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15cf8.jpeg.ea398e13089179c335111233086fdfe1.jpeg

Lewis.  That is remarkable!  So, where was your store, the US, UK?  

I owned a decent collection of WWI and WWII weapons, bayonets, knives, etc., years ago.  Got up one morning, went to our local coffee shop, drank WAY too much coffee and was clearly hyper-amped up on caffeine, came home, loaded most of it up, and took it to an auction company here in town, and just like that, it was gone (no regrets).  I saved a few of my favorites, and still pick up a few items here and there.  It is next to impossible to get rid of that militaria collecting bug once you ever had it.  But, as was said previously, the same items that I consistently picked up years ago at reasonable prices, have tripled in price now, and just seem to be going up in price.  

General Apathy
1 hour ago, BryanJ said:

Lewis.  That is remarkable!  So, where was your store, the US, UK?  

I owned a decent collection of WWI and WWII weapons, bayonets, knives, etc., years ago.  Got up one morning, went to our local coffee shop, drank WAY too much coffee and was clearly hyper-amped up on caffeine, came home, loaded most of it up, and took it to an auction company here in town, and just like that, it was gone (no regrets).  I saved a few of my favorites, and still pick up a few items here and there.  It is next to impossible to get rid of that militaria collecting bug once you ever had it.  But, as was said previously, the same items that I consistently picked up years ago at reasonable prices, have tripled in price now, and just seem to be going up in price.  

Hi BryanJ,

No, none of this had anything to do with my store, this was all part of my private collection, I stopped collecting seriously in 1987,  Being a collector I was never satisfied with one of something, there was always all the variations to collect as well, below some of the various manufacturers helmet liners I auctioned.  

I didn't start dealing in militaria until 1996 in the UK, funnily enough I made more money when I was a partner with my brother and we sold Cakes, Biscuits and Cookies . . . . . . hence I could build a collection, everyone eats cookies, not everyone collects.  !!!!!

Jerrycans are my current interest from local flea markets and finds . . . . . . it pays to have some interest to keep the mind going.  

Like you we all have to one day consider what is going to happen to our collections, I didn't want my daughter to inherit a major headache, better that I dispose of it before then. It's amazing the amount of non-military stuff that we have in drawers and cupboards around the house,

most of which was never or last used several years ago, that also needs to be sorted.  If I am asked what I would like for birthdays or Christmas I respond with ' nothing that's an object ', I am currently trying to clear drawers and cupboards as well.  

Todays's throwaways are kitchen items and clothes . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_15d3e.jpeg.d01881f32b7db17aa5d90a1f1ee580c9.jpeg

General Apathy

Photo for Friend Graham ( Forum member McDuff ) . . . . . . 

Hi Graham,  I have had this mysterious USMC piece for many years, I have always thought that it was a canvas cover for a folding radio / telephone seat, never found any evidence of one in Marine photos, let me know if you know to an image.  I have seen similar for army issue seats but not Marine.

.fullsizeoutput_15d54.jpeg.f954208925ee07ce9852140da2897e33.jpeg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

All I can say is WOW regarding the pictures of your auction! I can't get my jaw off the floor.

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks, even I was taken aback when I saw the uniforms and equipment actually laid out and displayed at the auction house for the first time in many years.

.fullsizeoutput_15d60.jpeg.837294b05d2e07aa31370c1d27eb4637.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d66.jpeg.cb70154842106833ae8b245108820e92.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 02  2022.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, Johan Willaert said:

It is marked PHOTOGRAPHER.
Officially these would have been green with only a P, but found this one over the years and rather like it.
Mannequin is based on a still from footage shot in Normandy by Hollywood Director George Stevens' Signal Corps Special Coverage Unit (SPECOU) also shown, down to the British Pattern 37 holster holding my .38 Webley MkIV Revolver and ammo pouch

Kot-Mannequins-Okt22 (1).JPG

SPECOU-GI-WebleyHolsterAmmoPouch (1).jpg

PH-104 004.jpg

Hi Johan,

Thank you for the answer. At this distance I only saw bands.

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Photo for Friend Graham ( Forum member McDuff ) . . . . . . 

Hi Graham,  I have had this mysterious USMC piece for many years, I have always thought that it was a canvas cover for a folding radio / telephone seat, never found any evidence of one in Marine photos, let me know if you know to an image.  I have seen similar for army issue seats but not Marine.

.fullsizeoutput_15d54.jpeg.f954208925ee07ce9852140da2897e33.jpeg

Hi Ken, thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately this is a new one on me! Depot made items are great; especially in the orange/tan colour. You must have one of the rarest 782 pieces of gear out there!! I looked last night through my books and on line. I am yet to find a photo; but now I know what to look for, I shall continue....! I like a challenge! Cheers Graham

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Thanks, even I was taken aback when I saw the uniforms and equipment actually laid out and displayed at the auction house for the first time in many years.

.fullsizeoutput_15d60.jpeg.837294b05d2e07aa31370c1d27eb4637.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d66.jpeg.cb70154842106833ae8b245108820e92.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  November 02  2022.

And I see the WAAC officer's cap!

...Kat

Ken,

I know you have heard this many times but this is by far my favorite thread on the forum. The camaraderie in this thread is second to none.  I love the joking, learning, sharing and just overall great vibe from this thread.  Thank you for all of your hard work and thank you to everyone who adds great posts in here.  

..Kat

Hi fellow Norman D Landers! I'm off to the airport in a few minutes for a well needed vacation. Heading to the Atlanta area for my niece's wedding. Not sure how often I will be checking in but this thread is almost as much fun as a vacation in itself. I hope maybe to make some military related stops, but not sure if there will be time. Have fun and keep on jeeping!

Mikie