Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
46 minutes ago, earlymb said:

I think the whole truck is post-war, the main difference I believe is the horizontal bar in the windshield on pre-1945 examples that is clearly visible on the second photo. During the occupation these trucks kept getting made for the Germans and production continued till the early 1950's I believe.

Hi earlymb,

yes I had noticed the windscreen and pointed that out in an off-forum email to a friend that might have been interested in buying the truck.  

But as we know with Jeeps, when things were rebuilt various parts were interchanged without any consideration for the originality of a vehicles components . . . . . . . . . I have looked on-line for Citroen trucks in German use and all seem to have the horizontal split screen.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 04  2022.

General Apathy
20 minutes ago, earlymb said:

There are probably more differences, it might be worth looking into those. I think it's worth saving anyway

Hi earlymb.

My friend just phoned the owner about an hour ago and he was told rather brusquely that it was NOT for sale, something about it was a family heirloom, strange as it's just left in the open, as you can see there's a large plastic sheet on the ground that blew off some time ago and never replaced . . . I think it's been stood there at least three years or more.  

On 10/2/2022 at 11:09 PM, General Apathy said:

An Ardennes monument to men of E Co. 506th PIR . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_150a6.jpeg.bef57af02369cdaffa71caf2692f9ce7.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 02  2022.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:45 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Jeep desks have become very popular in the last couple of years, during the Covid pandemic a school in Florida created screened Jeep desks for the pupils 

fullsizeoutput_150d8.jpeg.ccdade21aa180ca0b083c8763f0b4d94.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_150d9.jpeg.6384bab8bb02a4a386f0d6338a2a3746.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 03  2022.

Those are awesome!  Looks like a great source for recruits for future of the Norman D Landing page!  

Mikie

On 10/3/2022 at 7:22 AM, mikie said:

Well tomorrow is October 3. it's a big day in the Fusillo family. My Dad will be 99 years old. He passed on in 1986 but the whole generation of WWII veterans will soon be joining him. My late dear old Uncle Phil, another Pacific War vet, has a  birthday on October 4. So we usually had a triple birthday celebration. Triple? Did I say triple? Yep. 

My Mom gave Dad a special birthday present in 1957... Me! Hard to get a handle on my turning 65! But that's ok. I have the mind of a 5 year-old. If that mature.

Have a great 3rd, everyone! 

Mikie

Congrats Mikie! I'll raise a triple to you.

1306-62423.png.36edca460bdf6c8ef0d9644f3c8cd81a.png

General Apathy
10 hours ago, earlymb said:

As they already were on an uninhabited island, I guess it would be double jeopardy to leave them there...

I think the whole truck is post-war, the main difference I believe is the horizontal bar in the windshield on pre-1945 examples that is clearly visible on the second photo. During the occupation these trucks kept getting made for the Germans and production continued till the early 1950's I believe.

Hi earlymb.

A French collector used to do tours around the Ste Marie du Mont area using a Citroen truck, which from looking at the windscreen we are assuming is post war. !!!  He now uses a Jeep.

.fullsizeoutput_15182.jpeg.e1d2196c4aa4bf36e7bd986d47c56606.jpeg

General Apathy
2 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I'm not a jigsaw puzzle person but since this is such an iconic photo (and it was on sale) it had to come with me.

SAM_2262.JPG.9577a5bd3ccdd144bad034f4727b6b31.JPG

Hi Rene,

Are you sure its a puzzle, I was assuming that it was just a 1,000 people were puzzled as to who the two people were . . . . 😹 😹 😹

or maybe 1,000 people wanted to be the sailor . . . . . . . . !!!!!

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

Are you sure its a puzzle, I was assuming that it was just a 1,000 people were puzzled as to who the two people were . . . . 😹 😹 😹

or maybe 1,000 people wanted to be the sailor . . . . . . . . !!!!!

Jigsaw puzzle jokes are a real cut-up.

Mikie

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I'm not a jigsaw puzzle person but since this is such an iconic photo (and it was on sale) it had to come with me.

SAM_2262.JPG.9577a5bd3ccdd144bad034f4727b6b31.JPG

Hi Rene,

Jeeping friend Len has come through again with a photograph of the ' kissing couple ' taken at Portsmouth Dockyard in 2019. The size of it can be judged by the person sat on the base plinth.  I seem to recall it came to Utah Beach as well some time ago.

Ken

Photographed during my last visit to Portsmouth's Historic Dock Yard back in 2019 - What a fascinating place - The Mary Rose exhibition was incredible.

Was surprised to see this DKUW on display as well.

Len

fullsizeoutput_15241.jpeg.b7ccd30a0002b52d11b4dd0a7409f69b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15243.jpeg.5b44739e98f82c837315ae496ea4b4b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15245.jpeg.86b647d04466a638be774b8d58aaedcd.jpeg

General Apathy
38 minutes ago, mikie said:

Jigsaw puzzle jokes are a real cut-up.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Rene doesn't want to brag that he completed the puzzle in a week and a half, as it said 2 to 4 years on the box . . . . . . 🙀

1 minute ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Rene doesn't want to brag that he completed the puzzle in a week and a half, as it said 2 to 4 years on the box . . . . . . 🙀

:lol:

General Apathy
7 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Apparently I'm the butt of a jigsaw puzzle joke. Maybe I don't fit in around here🧩

Hi Rene,

Don't let anyone tell you that,  ' you're the missing piece of the puzzle ' 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  October 05  2022.

General Apathy

we knew that the arrangement for a family get together in two weeks would be our last one,

sadly we will not have that now with my brothers passing this morning . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_1525f.jpeg.5f046b172f82cfeb7ac30c4e0f9993d1.jpeg 

My big brother has gone . . . . . 

General Apathy
8 minutes ago, earlymb said:

I am so, so sorry to hear that Ken, my condolences 😟

Thank you,  I felt I wanted to share my favourite photograph of Barrie, and my memories of him.  

Ken.

General Apathy
37 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Ken, very sorry to hear about your brother.

My thoughts and prayers are with you 

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you, as I said several posts back don't waste time, it's short enough, tell people before it's too late what they mean to you, even let friends know as well as family.  Thankfully this morning several close friends have phoned me to convey their thoughts and feelings. 

Ken. 

52 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Peter,

Thank you, as I said several posts back don't waste time, it's short enough, tell people before it's too late what they mean to you, even let friends know as well as family.  Thankfully this morning several close friends have phoned me to convey their thoughts and feelings. 

Ken. 

Ken,

So very sorry to hear about your brother. You are exactly correct about telling people before it is too late. I always tell my family and close friends that I love them before hanging up the phone.

..Kat

Ken,

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.

Please accept my deepest condolences..

Although we are separated by miles and continents if you ever need anything, you can reach out to me.

Blessings 

Leigh 

Ken, so sorry to hear of your loss. Will be praying for you and your family. 

Elizabeth