Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Tried posting a video link doesn't appear to be working now . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  September 10  2022.

General Apathy

2nd attempt

A short video montage of the Queens life recorded for her 93rd birthday . .  ( 60 seconds )

( if the link doesn't work, please copy and past into your search engine, a fantastic presentation )

https://www.cjoint.com/c/JDkpmwcSn1R

Hi Ken

Our son Mike ( yellow high viz jkt next to guy in red ) was involved in the design and installation of the electronics that were used in the Golden Coach for the Jubilee earlier this year.

GOLDEN CARRIAGE 2.jpeg

GOLDEN CARRIAGE.jpeg

Sometimes it pays to look in closed boxes at a show....... luckily I did so before anyone else. Best result at Beaulieu Auto Jumble show for years.

16 x Cadburys wartime bars of chocolate.

IMG_4122.JPG

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Escht said:

Hi Ken

Our son Mike ( yellow high viz jkt next to guy in red ) was involved in the design and installation of the electronics that were used in the Golden Coach for the Jubilee earlier this year.

GOLDEN CARRIAGE 2.jpeg

GOLDEN CARRIAGE.jpeg

Hi Kevin

Congratulation ' that's a feather in the cap ' for your family, thanks for sharing that with us.

For the Queens Coronation in 1953 every child in the UK below twelve ?? was given a gift, my brother received a Copy of this coach in die-cast metal, I think another option was a money box in the shape of the Queens crown,  unfortunately as I related a few posts back upon the death of my father my sister-in-law cleared the glass fronted cabinet containing these items and all my Matchbox cars . . . . . . . . 

.9f0ea790f3c5c1380cd8a9cea4d0cce0.jpg.dce2e9dd1772d7a7072cdac9df90d097.jpg

General Apathy
21 minutes ago, Escht said:

Sometimes it pays to look in closed boxes at a show....... luckily I did so before anyone else. Best result at Beaulieu Auto Jumble show for years.

16 x Cadburys wartime bars of chocolate.

IMG_4122.JPG

Kevin,

well that's takes the biscuit ( chocolate block actually ) well done, while walking around a military show a few weeks back my friend repeated back to me one of my pet sayings ' look at / in ALL the boxes underneath the tables. '

Talking of looking in boxes I was just looking in the Jeep spares shoebox and re-found a spare Ford GPW ' F ' marked four wheel drive shift-stick, unusually it has a raised ' F ' rather than a stamped ' F ' .

.fullsizeoutput_146d7.jpeg.b8d77df7f0126421ef4955b72bfb63ac.jpeg

19 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Kevin,

well that's takes the biscuit ( chocolate block actually ) well done, while walking around a military show a few weeks back my friend repeated back to me one of my pet sayings ' look at / in ALL the boxes underneath the tables. '

Talking of looking in boxes I was just looking in the Jeep spares shoebox and re-found a spare Ford GPW ' F ' marked four wheel drive shift-stick, unusually it has a raised ' F ' rather than a stamped ' F ' .

.fullsizeoutput_146d7.jpeg.b8d77df7f0126421ef4955b72bfb63ac.jpeg

Hi Ken

Sometimes it's luck, most times you have to make your own luck. I've had several nice finds by checking every closed box I see. You get used to the disapointment because you know that one day it will pay off.

This was one such find in amongst a box of paperwork, non war related. Turns out this unit was made up of Firemen recruited to form a firefighting version of The Monuments Men. Designated task to work right up at the front to try and save as many historic buildings as possible as the Germans were pushed back. There were more pages of photos but I can't find them on file so far.

album overseas 219.jpg

album overseas det4223.jpg

album overseas det5224.jpg

album overseas det6225.jpg

album overseas det7226.jpg

12 minutes ago, Escht said:

Hi Ken

Sometimes it's luck, most times you have to make your own luck. I've had several nice finds by checking every closed box I see. You get used to the disapointment because you know that one day it will pay off.

This was one such find in amongst a box of paperwork, non war related. Turns out this unit was made up of Firemen recruited to form a firefighting version of The Monuments Men. Designated task to work right up at the front to try and save as many historic buildings as possible as the Germans were pushed back. There were more pages of photos but I can't find them on file so far.

album overseas 219.jpg

I hadn't realised that one of these units was adopted by US Army and worked closely with them. See inside link for further info.

https://nfs-afs.org.uk/2019/05/25/the-nfs-overseas-contingent-and-d-day/

57 minutes ago, Escht said:

Hi Ken

album overseas 219.jpg

Now THAT'S a find!

Mikie

This was a first for me, British manual but shows the sort of equipment used to build a lot of the airfields used by the USAAF in UK. I've only shown a few pages of what is a 85 page bklt. I love that I'm still finding things that I've never seen before

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

General Apathy
On 9/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, Escht said:

This was a first for me, British manual but shows the sort of equipment used to build a lot of the airfields used by the USAAF in UK. I've only shown a few pages of what is a 85 page bklt. I love that I'm still finding things that I've never seen before

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

Hi Kevin.

The father of one of my Jeeping friends from London was a builder during WWII and was employed on building both British and American airfields, he would have probably seen and used a lot of the equipment you have shown in your booklet, pity they weren't allowed cameras . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  September 11  2022.

Johan Willaert

I took the Jeep to a local Military Vehicle show last weekend, organised by a couple of friends.

Parked the Jeep next to an original German Hedgehog beach obstacle, which was retrieved from the sea off the Belgian coast a couple of years ago. Amazing to see how the steel of the era survived decades of submersion in salty water…

F15B02F6-E0DA-4D2F-A8EC-D5BF963E239F.jpeg

Johan Willaert
On 9/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, Escht said:

Hi Ken

album overseas 219.jpg

photos were taken at the Breendonk Fortress near Antwerp, Belgium

https://fortbreendonk.be/en

14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin.

The father of one of my Jeeping friends from London was a builder during WWII and was employed on building both British and American airfields, he would have probably seen and used a lot of the equipment you have shown in your booklet, pity they weren't allowed cameras . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  September 11  2022.

Hi Ken

I seem to have a vague recollection that the little dumper trucks were something to look out for back in the day as some were fitted with Jeep engines after the war.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Escht said:

Hi Ken

I seem to have a vague recollection that the little dumper trucks were something to look out for back in the day as some were fitted with Jeep engines after the war.

Hi Kevin

Yes I also think they had Jeep axles !!!!!! and maybe other parts.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  September 12  2022.

2 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin

Yes I also think they had Jeep axles !!!!!! and maybe other parts.  

Hi Ken

I never managed to find one, they must still be out there somewhere. I did wonder if I had just imagined it

Kevin

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

photos were taken at the Breendonk Fortress near Antwerp, Belgium

https://fortbreendonk.be/en

Hi Johan,

I recall that we went to the Breendonk Fort when we visited Belgium in the mid 70's on an MVCG trip.  John from London at the time had a British ' Airborne ' Jeep and he lifted the steering wheel off and offered to the Belgian police car that was travelling alongside him on the day of the visit to the fort. 

General Apathy

A friend re-spraying his wife's GPW as a USN Jeep . . . . . . . 

.IMG_2815.jpg.f35d0d2275f6ab4d06274af27baa12f6.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg.40e3f0069e7e5c7af5ec53adf68e98ee.jpg

General Apathy

They are all GPW 's, but not all GPW's are the same . . . . . . . 

it's always interesting to look at pieces, parts, or full GPW's and all have differences ' parts ' having been manufactured in different companies and plants.  I think this may be the first time I have seen the ' F ' stamp sideways on a rear bumperette, it also has an ' F ' stamp on both sides of the bumperette.  Also the top-bow stop bracket has a rather deep stamp in one and thinner and fainter in it's companion.

.IMG_2822.jpg.5644c319883e18ba9522a2698e8f1c10.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1487b.jpeg.013fb85f0bfe74a8cdda4d4836f8a196.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I thin we are getting into a gray (grey) area here.

Mikie

Johan Willaert
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I will never understand why so many people want a Navy gray Jeep....
They were never made that way and hardly ever resprayed in gray for Navy use during WW2....
And even if their original factory olive drab color would have oversprayed in gray, only the visible parts would have been covered... not the underside, frame, etc..

All of these Navy gray restored Jeeps are based on that one photo of an ARMY jeep sprayed gray as a gift for Admiral Nimitz...

GPW-VEP-USN-Nimitz-USSHushHush-CINCPAC-Oahu-30Jun42 (2).jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

I think we are getting into a gray (grey) area here.

Mikie

Hi Mike,

but which side of grey, apparently there are fifty shades . . . . . . . . .  mmmmhhh

.x480.jpeg.f58591667ee8425ec530dcfb9a6ec084.jpeg

4 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mike,

but which side of grey, apparently there are fifty shades . . . . . . . . .  mmmmhhh

.x480.jpeg.f58591667ee8425ec530dcfb9a6ec084.jpeg

:D

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

I will never understand why so many people want a Navy gray Jeep....
They were never made that way and hardly ever resprayed in gray for Navy use during WW2....
And even if their original factory olive drab color would have oversprayed in gray, only the visible parts would have been covered... not the underside, frame, etc..

All of these Navy gray restored Jeeps are based on that one photo of an ARMY jeep sprayed gray as a gift for Admiral Nimitz...

GPW-VEP-USN-Nimitz-USSHushHush-CINCPAC-Oahu-30Jun42 (2).jpg

Hi Johan,

Well grey it is, better than ANOTHER ' 506th E Co. ' . . . . . . . . . . . . .