Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

come and look in my van . . . . . . . . 

So we were sat in the bar this morning having coffee when another customer asked if we like to see some pieces in his van, he had just done a house clearance and there were a few ' military ' pieces. 

A ships ladder , a German insulated back-pack food container, a Jeep shovel with replaced wooden handle,  belt pick-mattock again with a lengthened wooden handle and a 24 unit first aid tin. Also something rarely seen,  short barbed wire stakes for cementing to the top of brick walls for defending the building. 

.fullsizeoutput_1436a.jpeg.a0f1e484bf66dfb75a01c88adc6093da.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_14370.jpeg.64c2d7a8fa19287df7b5ad2e1d390377.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_1436c.jpeg.e00b81e1402b728584ed8021b931e634.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1436b.jpeg.7d02d29d5f6ce466a16dc5994c1d0b64.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14368.jpeg.872be385fed601d3deeb083f50a888bf.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 28  2022.

General Apathy
23 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Did you buy it?

And what are these fuzzy animals ?

797C3733-DA40-4CB7-8D13-06A86EA53B4A.jpeg

Hi Peter,  a low key attempt at blocking out a discarded plastic water bottle which wasn't spotted whilst taking the photo, no I didn't buy the ladder my bed is not that tall that I would need a ladder. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 28  2022.

Johan Willaert

Nice set.

I believe the metal tips on the laces are an indication of which brand of Jeep they were issued with from the factory, although I don’t recall which is which..

General Apathy
15 hours ago, manayunkman said:

What about the food container ?

I assume you still eat?

Hi Peter,

Well yes I do still eat but I am back on a fitness regime, unthinkingly I dropped my cycling routine during the last two years of Covid lockdown and the muscle tone slacked off so it's reduced rations and violent cycling to recover what level of fitness and mental attitude I would like to have again.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 29  2022.

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice set.

I believe the metal tips on the laces are an indication of which brand of Jeep they were issued with from the factory, although I don’t recall which is which..

Hi Johan,  

I shall be visiting a Jeeping friend this week ( who also collects Ford marked parts )  and in conversation he said that he still has some headlight covers in wrappers, I shall see if I can take a look and come back with details on what he has and which is which. 

General Apathy

background chatter over here . . . . .

There is some discussion going on amongst French collectors and re-enactors that the cemeteries over here are considering banning re-enactors from the cemeteries, now which cemeteries and which re-enactors are involved American, French, German I can't say until I hear more. It might just be people wearing German uniforms ( displaying or wearing the swastika is totally banned in France ) or all uniforms total . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
On 8/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Haha, looking back at that photo, not only were the bumper unit markings wrong, but it seems the tie rods were attached the wrong way to the bell crank too....
They're supposed to be on top of the steering bell crank...

Hi Johan,

here's another one for your consideration at a show last Sunday, this is an unaltered 1963 Hotchkiss ( unaltered except for US markings. )

.IMG_2667.jpg.9d079c39742679a805bad54a350656e9.jpg

I think they did change the wiper motors, added hoodblocks and removed the brackets around the wiper arms, added a US BODL etc.... although it's possible early M201's had the original design details here.

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

There is some discussion going on amongst French collectors and re-enactors that the cemeteries over here are considering banning re-enactors from the cemeteries, now which cemeteries and which re-enactors are involved American, French, German I can't say until I hear more. It might just be people wearing German uniforms ( displaying or wearing the swastika is totally banned in France ) or all uniforms total . . . . . . . . . . .

2012Quote.jpg

General Apathy
27 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

2012Quote.jpg

Hi Nigel, 

I think it's the ' Christmas Tree Look ' both re-enactors and vehicles that people dis-like . . . . . . . . . .a smart uniform is one thing, its all the baubles and such they decorate the uniforms ( or vehicles ) with.

Looking at a website a few nights ago there was a photograph of a guy sat in an open cab GMC portraying a U.S. combat medic by use of painted liner.  However EVERYTHING he was wearing and using was not WWII USA, it let down the detail and information that the website was showing . . . . . . . maybe the vehicle alone would have been a better representation. 

General Apathy
On 8/25/2022 at 11:41 PM, General Apathy said:

shared stories . . . . . . 

I was just having an off-forum email conversation with Len, he sent me photos of a WWII river crossing for training Sherman crews, note theres the large concrete staging area on the right, a track leading across the field to the river and a smaller concreted area on the left behind the trees for turning around and heading back. This training area is near Ripon, UK. 

It reminded me that I took my GMC to France in 1984, when I was parked on the ferry the Queen mothers Rolls-Royce was in front of my GMC and a Rolls-Royce either side of my cab, talking from my cab to the Rolls driver beside me he said he was in amphibious tanks in WWII and trained in swimming them on the firth of forth river, I wonder if there are still any there under the water. Sadly all these people with their interesting personal stories are no longer with us, so much history gone along with them . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_14292.jpeg.8a1dd685c0ab0f3c96b43f37b95b0740.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 25  2022.

One story brings another . . . . . .

Sharing the above details on the concrete hard-standing for tanks practising river crossings brought forth the following story from a friend in London . . . . 

Yes Ken, that is different and fascinating....   There are concrete 'pads' and similar concrete constructions all over the place which go unnoticed and unappreciated unless pointed out to the next generation..

As a child in post-war Oxford I was regularly taken for walks along the riverside below our house.  There was a concrete slope down into the water which was used for launching boats.  What people don't know is that it was built during the war to test the Nuffield amphibious vehicles.  (see attached - a Tank Track runs parallel to Donnington Bridge Road and is wrongly marked Meadow Lane and is all original except at the right end it now curves upwards - to the north. Originally it was straight on to meet Donnington Bridge Road at the junction with Meadow Lane).  My elder sisters were given a ride in one of the test vehicles at some time from here, then down stream to Iffley lock and back.  They remembered it as a tank, because it had tracks but it transpired that it had a tailgate so was most probably a Nuffield Neptune, later tested on Blenheim Palace lake, 9 miles up the road..   Why was I born so late ?

.fullsizeoutput_14372.jpeg.8f7e813d939801f2e55a596026995fe1.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . .

An unissued leather tool box made in 1943 by the Brooks saddlery company for the WWII British army folding push-bike used by paratroops and commando's, along with a set of unissued handlebar grips ( when trying to attach these grips it was always best to submerge in reasonably hot water to expand the material and make them more supple )

So the Shoebox is getting a little more empty now as I have recently put together more items that went to the auction house today, the auction will be in November but time is needed for photographing, cataloging, advertising and such.  

.fullsizeoutput_1431a.jpeg.beda4b23dd12d395255940b195561d8c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14320.jpeg.90a8d90b5354a6980d18fbeefcbdebb4.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Hi Ken, the pouch is actually the model for the standard British Infantry bicycle, the toolbag for the Folding bike being more rectangular and attaches to the saddle. This odd shaped bag attaches to the frame hence the shape.

Folding bike handgrips are marked BSA, these unmarked examples too were made for the MkV and MkV* models.

Below a photo of my 1944 BSA standard Infantry MkV* bike showing this pouch attached to frame.

and this great website, although in Dutch has more detail on the MkV*:

http://www.abbl1940.be/FIETSEN/BSA MKV_ster.htm

9CF55C61-99F9-4BF1-9CD3-1EBE65BC0414.jpeg

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Ken, the pouch is actually the model for the standard British Infantry bicycle, the toolbag for the Folding bike being more rectangular and attaches to the saddle. This odd shaped bag attaches to the frame hence the shape.

Folding bike handgrips are marked BSA, these unmarked examples too were made for the MkV and MkV* models.

Below a photo of my 1944 BSA standard Infantry MkV* bike showing this pouch attached to frame.

and this great website, although in Dutch has more detail on the MkV*:

http://www.abbl1940.be/FIETSEN/BSA MKV_ster.htm

9CF55C61-99F9-4BF1-9CD3-1EBE65BC0414.jpeg

Hi Johan,

thanks for clearing up the actual identification on them, I never collected British bicycles and I had only ever seen them on Para-bikes, which I found quite strange as there are two thin crossmember and the straps are not long enough to pass over the two.   I just bought several of them years ago from the basement of an old surplus store, I was in the right place, at the right time and the price was right, this is the last one, I'm sure the new owner will be happy with the condition when they receive them .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 30  2022.

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

Didn't particularly get any further on identifying headline cover users, Willys or Ford as two of the three pairs were not in wrappers, the one pair that was in a wrapper was dated 1952.   The two below came a pair, also they were the only pair out the three pair that had labels stitched into them, not identical shaped labels though, the other interesting detail is that the face of the only is a lighter colour canvas than it's partner.  which once again proves that manufacturers used any shade of webbing to get items made.

Well that's it for tonight it's been a long day and I'm off to bed.

fullsizeoutput_143a4.jpeg.e475f2a2d93a98a7809c270b7a01e652.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_143a5.jpeg.eff8b3f7529ada0e3c26b1307019616c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 31  2022.

General Apathy

I leave you with this shot and the story tomorrow . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_143a6.jpeg.9d6418179f7e8413257e34886960f29b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 31  2022.

39 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Now thats going out with a bang... 😆

Ken and Johan,

I have a question for my vehicle friends.  I love to read books especially reference books. Every since y'all posted the pictures of the long caravan of military vehicles, I have become very interested in learning more about them.  Especially the one that was the fully restored repair shop.  Is there a reference book showing pictures of the various vehicles used in WWII?

Thanks a bunch, Kat

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

We've gotta wait all the way till tomorrow?

Auctioning that should free up a little space in your shoebox.

Mikie

7 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken and Johan,

I have a question for my vehicle friends.  I love to read books especially reference books. Every since y'all posted the pictures of the long caravan of military vehicles, I have become very interested in learning more about them.  Especially the one that was the fully restored repair shop.  Is there a reference book showing pictures of the various vehicles used in WWII?

Thanks a bunch, Kat

Actually, there are many, going in many directions. There are a large number of books that show pictures taken during events like the ones posted by Ken and Johan that come with some text that tell what the vehicles are and sometimes some general history of the type, other books list almost every single vehicle with info and a few photos like an encyclopedia (like 'Historic Military Vehicle Directory' by Bart Vanderveen) and there are many books that specialize on the history and development of a single vehicle.

Here are some examples. I think the 'general' books would be a good place to start:

20220831_112616.jpg.55150f977a5b508f7dedd3a3de8713e1.jpg

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Is that the gatekeeper of your shoebox on transport to the next auction?

General Apathy
15 hours ago, doyler said:

Now thats going out with a bang... 😆

Hi Ron,

NO, this is known as going out with a bang . . . . . the death-clock prediction site . . . . . a bit of fun.

all I will say is the given date would save me having to renew my passport and driving license . . . . . . . . . . . 

https://www.death-clock.org/results.php