Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . 

A rare packaged USMC dog-tag cable, interesting detail showing the way of mounting the two tags.  My collection once bridged all the services, fifty years of collecting three years of clearing . . . . . . . . there comes the day. !!!

.fullsizeoutput_13f2c.jpeg.a19c4b66b7ba573c6007917f3fdc9b94.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 13  2022.

I am loving the USMC finds in your shoe box Ken! Keep 'em coming! (Yes, the Marines were on board some of the US Navy ships at Normandy!!)

On 8/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, General Apathy said:

Going down the pipes with this one . . . . . 

The UK and America not only had to have stocks of every conceivable piece of military equipment i.e. vehicles, clothing, munitions, petrols, spares, food, the list is pretty endless, they also had to take building supplies to rebuild towns and cities damaged or destroyed in the fighting.

Here's a shot of a storage facility at a rail-yard containing salt-glazed sewerage pipes, just one of the necessary materials, pleased to say that not long ago I found a piece of British made salt-glaze pipe here in Normandy made by G. Jennings of Poole, Dorset, UK. 

Here in the American sector the US Army / Government brought in tons of corrugated steel sheeting for roof repairs, it was nicknamed ' American-Thatch ', and still many buildings can be seen with it in use. 

.fullsizeoutput_140b0.jpeg.3e24579b897e44440a27ba9a77497ac5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_140a3.jpeg.b46f3e2ddd7154305495894a0a99d361.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 18  2022.

Well, there's someone's pipe dream 😊

On 8/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . 

A U.S. Army issue Razor set, a New Testament cloth covered bible with ( Card from First Methodist Church, Alma, Nebraska ), and a pack of WWI French ' artistic ' cards . . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_140d8.jpeg.8a984609f8175557a2af5c0ea4b07f89.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 18  2022.

I like the use of the word 'artistic'.........

General Apathy

Happy Birthday 20th August 2022 . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_14150.jpeg.9910dd3cfc4c18ee49137e78dedc25b9.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 19  2022.

55 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Happy Birthday 20th August 2022 . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_14150.jpeg.9910dd3cfc4c18ee49137e78dedc25b9.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 19  2022.

Happy birthday! Sadly, I never had a chance to meet or see him live on stage. Though there may be someone around here who may have. Any untold tidbits to share on this occasion? 

I did once get to meet another of today's British birthday boys, Sylvester McCoy. It was at a meet and greet following his becoming the next Doctor Who. The guy was an absolute riot. He had the entire audience laughing before even walking through the door. 

Mikie

Johan Willaert
On 8/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, General Apathy said:

Driving to a car show this morning I pulled over and informed the friend following behind me that the canvas headlight covers he has on his lights had the effect of darkening the O.D. jeep even more making it less visible by obscuring the daylight reflective effect on the glass headlights.

A friend took this photo of his GPW in the Belgian Ardennes this weekend, fully illustrating how effective the windshield and headlight covers are...
Should the Jeep have been parked in the shadow, it would have been quite difficult to make out against the background....

299799446_1265254037579529_1964937640527859461_n.jpg

Johan Willaert

Went to a Military Vehicle show in Belgium yesterday...
Absolute star of the show was this fully operational 1944 StuGIII from a private collection.

TankEventOeselgem-20Aug22 (12).JPG

5 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

A friend took this photo of his GPW in the Belgian Ardennes this weekend, fully illustrating how effective the windshield and headlight covers are...
Should the Jeep have been parked in the shadow, it would have been quite difficult to make out against the background....

299799446_1265254037579529_1964937640527859461_n.jpg

Hi Johan, lovely photo! Is there any evidence - real covers or photos of the headlight covers ever being produced and used? Just curious, as these and shovel covers have always been in doubt in my mind..? Thanks!

As a frequent reader of this thread, it seems like you guys who live in Europe go to military shows quite often.  Am I correct in assuming there are a LOT more WWII oriented events in Europe than here in the U.S.?  Logically, I guess, that is not surprising given the direct impact the war had there, but it’s also not something that ever occurred to me before finding this forum.  I hate to say it, but here in the U.S., major war anniversaries hardly garner a newspaper headline, much less there being frequent WWII military shows and events.  Anyway, I really enjoy your posts and photos on these shows, keep them coming please!

10 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Absolute star of the show was this fully operational 1944 StuGIII from a private collection.

TankEventOeselgem-20Aug22 (12).JPG

It's a staple at the annual Militracks event in Overloon, also. 

DSC_6135.JPG.4d183b891da351db6d8ff152541da2ad.JPG

I know I'm not the best photographer 🙂

Johan Willaert
14 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

It's a staple at the annual Militracks event in Overloon, also. 

DSC_6135.JPG.4d183b891da351db6d8ff152541da2ad.JPG

I know I'm not the best photographer 🙂

yes, it s the same vehicle, Belgian owned and it resides in the Overloon museum

Johan Willaert
5 hours ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Johan, lovely photo! Is there any evidence - real covers or photos of the headlight covers ever being produced and used? Just curious, as these and shovel covers have always been in doubt in my mind..? Thanks!

Yes, per SNL Parts List all Jeeps were issued with two headlight covers, a windshield cover, two side curtains and a top tarpaulin , shovel covers are a post war fantasy item

9 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Yes, per SNL Parts List all Jeeps were issued with two headlight covers, a windshield cover, two side curtains and a top tarpaulin , shovel covers are a post war fantasy item

Many thanks Johan! Never seen an original pair. Hope to one day! As I thought, the shovel cover is totally pointless! Cheers!

General Apathy
4 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Yes, per SNL Parts List all Jeeps were issued with two headlight covers, a windshield cover, two side curtains and a top tarpaulin ,

shovel covers are a post war fantasy item !!!!

Sadly it's not just shovel covers now, Jerry can covers, spare wheel covers , canvas accessories bags hanging on the rear of the front seats, shaped bags attached to the passengers footstep / wing, mirror covers, canvas tonneau covers for the back seating area, and anything else that a buck or two can be made from. !!!! 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 21  2022.

10 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

4 hours ago, BryanJ said:

As a frequent reader of this thread, it seems like you guys who live in Europe go to military shows quite often.  Am I correct in assuming there are a LOT more WWII oriented events in Europe than here in the U.S.?  Logically, I guess, that is not surprising given the direct impact the war had there, but it’s also not something that ever occurred to me before finding this forum.  

Yes I flew about 80 kilometres down to a show today,  shot taken from the rear of a Dodge weapons carrier of me with my wings extended, bit shaky but it was the best that they could do . . . . .   Some more shots fro the show a little later when I have downloaded them. 

.fullsizeoutput_14164.jpeg.d67c88590a8c6ec46eb67755dbb6bad3.jpeg

16 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Sadly it's not just shovel covers now, Jerry can covers, spare wheel covers , canvas accessories bags hanging on the rear of the front seats, shaped bags attached to the passengers footstep / wing, mirror covers, canvas tonneau covers for the back seating area, and anything else that a buck or two can be made from. !!!! 

Yes I flew about 80 kilometres down to a show today,  shot taken from the rear of a Dodge weapons carrier of me with my wings extended, bit shaky but it was the best that they could do . . . . .   Some more shots fro the show a little later when I have downloaded them. 

Maybe gliding to the show? dont see your arms flapping up and down like the gooney birds do.  😁😆 hope you had a great time at the show 😉

3 minutes ago, doyler said:

Maybe gliding to the show? dont see your arms flapping up and down like the gooney birds do.  😁😆 hope you had a great time at the show 😉

Ha! Yes, flap your arms and make that jeep airborne! 

Mikie

General Apathy

Seen at the show today . . . . . .

A couple of brands familiar to everyone . . . . . 

.IMG_2552.jpg.f7b796da15ef32e02081be3612706e9e.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg.58df2213e2c9eab621c2045593ecc3b1.jpg

General Apathy
30 minutes ago, doyler said:

hope you had a great time at the show 😉

Hi  Ron,  yes I did thank you, when I first left home early this morning it was frosty and cold, I think I have had warmer days in the Ardennes.

.fullsizeoutput_14165.jpeg.251873b3401033e466f895e8388d39a4.jpeg

General Apathy

Citroen car . . . . . . .

according to whether you are either French or British dictates how you would describe the car easily to someone else.

If you are British then you would describe it as an ' Inspector Maigret '  car,  driven by a fictional French detective in a 1970's British television detective series.

However if you are French you would probably use something with a more sinister meaning relating to WWII, ' Le Boche Gestapo ' car.

.IMG_2571.jpg.32cab4005cb4a1c3e415eddb5286e47f.jpg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi  Ron,  yes I did thank you, when I first left home early this morning it was frosty and cold, I think I have had warmer days in the Ardennes.

.fullsizeoutput_14165.jpeg.251873b3401033e466f895e8388d39a4.jpeg

Note both Dodges on the left have the spare wheel cover, a complete fantasy item as described by Johan above...

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Citroen car . . . . . . .

according to whether you are either French or British dictates how you would describe the car easily to someone else.

If you are British then you would describe it as an ' Inspector Maigret '  car,  driven by a fictional French detective in a 1970's British television detective series.

However if you are French you would probably use something with a more sinister meaning relating to WWII, ' Le Boche Gestapo ' car.

.IMG_2571.jpg.32cab4005cb4a1c3e415eddb5286e47f.jpg

This is a post-war Traction Avant; the pre-war models had doors in the sides of the hood (a bit like the blue car in the background has) while the post-war ones had pressed slats as seen above.

15 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I wonder what the driver of that van behind you is thinking. Unless he knows you, of course. Anyhow he is  wisely keeping a respectable distance. 🙂

General Apathy
56 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I wonder what the driver of that van behind you is thinking. Unless he knows you, of course. Anyhow he is  wisely keeping a respectable distance. 🙂

Hi Rene,

hahhaa,  back in my 20's and possibly 30's I used to set the dash accelerator knob to a steady speed and stand on the seat with my arms outstretched and the steering wheel between my knees.  The other one was to set the dash accelerator and walk by the side of the Jeep with one hand on the wheel to keep it in a straight line.  Another ' trick ' was to sit on top of the dash facing to the rear of the Jeep and continue driving forwards in the normal direction.  Oh the fun to be had with a Jeep.  ( of course I am not recommending any of this to other owners )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 22  2022.

Johan Willaert
20 hours ago, BryanJ said:

As a frequent reader of this thread, it seems like you guys who live in Europe go to military shows quite often.  Am I correct in assuming there are a LOT more WWII oriented events in Europe than here in the U.S.?  Logically, I guess, that is not surprising given the direct impact the war had there, but it’s also not something that ever occurred to me before finding this forum.  I hate to say it, but here in the U.S., major war anniversaries hardly garner a newspaper headline, much less there being frequent WWII military shows and events.  Anyway, I really enjoy your posts and photos on these shows, keep them coming please!

There are probably a lot more CAR shows in the US than in Europe, but definitely more Military Vehicle Shows in Europe.
Main reason for this I think is that just about every country of Europe was involved in WW2 and there are commemorations all over these and throughout the year since principal battles took place on dates throughout a calendar year... This plus the fact that many of the regions where war raged are fairly close ( well compared to distances in the US ) allow people to participate in different shows/commemorations without having to travel very far..
Taking myself as an example, living in Belgium, Normandy is 300Mls, Ardennes/Bastogne 180Mls, Market Garden area 120Mls etc... Distances that can all be driven over a weekend...