Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

He is fine now. Four days after getting him he stopped eating for an entire week. Vet said he had a tummy bug. He lost 2 of his 14 pounds. We were all worried as heck. But he bounced back and is up to 20 pounds today. Daughter Kassidy bought him a small bathing tub yesterday and he enjoyed splashing around in it. Then he suddenly jumped out and immediately started digging in the dirt like crazy. We were laughing so hard at him making a mess of himself. Two minutes before this picture, he was nice and clean.  He is a sweet little guy. 

Sorry, Ken, I’ll somehow restrain myself from abusing the tread about him. 

C77E9E41-5828-4E59-9ED0-7220E9CF9981.jpeg

Hi Mikie,

looks like you will have your hands full with this little terror when he's outdoors . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  July 10  2022.

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Now that is very interesting.

My Great Uncle AJ was a chemistry professor. According to my Grandma, his sister, In the war part of his duties included being with or ahead of advancing troops testing and marking water sources as safe or not for drinking. I only saw him on rare occasions so never had the chance to ask him about this. He served in North Africa and Italy.

Mikie 

Hi Mikie,

good story, shows how many other men are needed to keep that one fighting man in the front . . . . . 

General Apathy

Help needed please from USA forum friends . . . . . . . . .

About twenty-five years ago I bought a cap on a visit to a USA distillery if was a favourite of mine, unfortunately it appears that it may have blown out the Jeep last weekend.   Strange when I say it was a favourite for the life of me I cannot recall where the distillery was based Virginia maybe and I think it was ' George Dickall ' or ' George Dikall ' or something close to that.  I have searched on-line and cannot find any trace of such a distillery, anyone know of it or can find an address for me, I would like to re-place the cap if I can.  It was a tan color with blue embroidered lettering on the front, what I liked about it was it was a rounded head shaped cap without that tall front.

thanks in anticipation.

General Apathy
3 minutes ago, MDR75 said:

Good old Tennessee Whisky, George Dickel

https://www.georgedickel.com/

here is their website

Hi MDR75,

many thanks, half way around the world and you answered my request in less than nine minutes, sometime the internet is great and today was one of those times.  I will take a look at their website BUT I really hope I find it somewhere.  Thanks

General Apathy

Well I must have had a premature brain-fart . . . . . . . . . . . Panic over. !!!

Thankfully found it but not in the place where it is normally kept, I had been trimming the hedges outside two days ago and dropped it just inside the front door without coming inside and put it where it should be sat.   Secondly, really pleased that I did find it, looking on their website it appears that all their caps are printed versions now with tall stiff fronts, no embroidered ones.

Friday evening the Euro-lottery was 230 million euros, I didn't win that but I found my cap, so a winner after-all.  

.fullsizeoutput_133be.jpeg.0a91fde9e1d2dfe4fbc8560ac765aa0d.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Well I must have had a premature brain-fart . . . . . . . . . . . Panic over. !!!

Thankfully found it but not in the place where it is normally kept, I had been trimming the hedges outside two days ago and dropped it just inside the front door without coming inside and put it where it should be sat.   Secondly, really pleased that I did find it, looking on their website it appears that all their caps are printed versions now with tall stiff fronts, no embroidered ones.

Friday evening the Euro-lottery was 230 million euros, I didn't win that but I found my cap, so a winner after-all.  

.fullsizeoutput_133be.jpeg.0a91fde9e1d2dfe4fbc8560ac765aa0d.jpeg

I love a story with a happy ending.

General Apathy

while we are talking caps . . . . . .

From the Shoebox an early woollen made cap for the USS America ( CV-66 ), a super carrier commissioned in 1965 and decommissioned in 1996, it served in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and three deployments for the Vietnam war. Looking on the internet most of the caps on sale are later man made materials. I saved this particular cap from a wooden mill I used to visit where they shredded clothing for other commercial uses.

.fullsizeoutput_13413.jpeg.dc50eb27e30c9f83fdfe604a6933e4a2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13416.jpeg.87582eb549fd2efdf8092e766569eeae.jpeg

General Apathy

Military vehicle discussions . . . . . 

I have been sharing off-forum discussions with two long-time Jeeping friends about experimental or little known WWII vehicles, and this amphibious trailer was our current research.  Initially designed for use behind LVT's & DUKW's it must have been a failure as it was un-powered and the towing vehicles especially the DUKW was under-powered to tow it through choppy waters or even up sandy beaches.  It's been a struggle to find any in photographs and we have found just two images, this being one of them in the Pacific and use  by Marines.  

.fullsizeoutput_13409.jpeg.690f985e69051f25a61790138a298962.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1340a.jpeg.16a509f058a48f2008ff08dfb72a6b34.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  July 11  2022.

Another for Ken and the Jeepers

General George S. Patton riding in a modified jeep in La Haye-du-Puits Normandy - July 1944

Nothing says “get the hell out of the way” like a pair of oversized air horns on the hood of your Jeep

LIFE Magazine Archives - Ralph Morse Photographer

293173517_530372648882332_5735129293173403278_n.jpg

General Apathy
36 minutes ago, doyler said:

General George S. Patton riding in a modified jeep in La Haye-du-Puits Normandy - July 1944

Nothing says “get the hell out of the way” like a pair of oversized air horns on the hood of your Jeep

Hi Ron,

Thanks Ron,  this is another on my list to find when I have the time, I have a lot going on between now and December and the clocks ticking on those chores. 

about the hundredth Jeep has recently been sold ' attributed ' to George Patton, not funny really as it has a number of missing parts, sooooo many wrong parts, wrong gauges / dash switches, etc, etc  Caveat-Emptor, buy the piece NOT the story . . . . . . . . . . .  !!!!!

Couple more for Kens list...

Liberation of La Haye-du-Puits Normandy - July 1944

image.png.01f8fbf4bcc4b35a1d5d94fb6eb1862c.png

General Apathy
3 hours ago, doyler said:

Couple more for Kens list...

image.png.01f8fbf4bcc4b35a1d5d94fb6eb1862c.png

Hi Ron,  a couple I have already shown comparison Then & Now a few years back, three I have never seen before they will probably be on the outskirts of the town, certainly not the centre of the town, these will need work to find. The photo in post #.21191 shown below I have wanted to do that for a while but when I am that way in a Jeep as there are several in the photo, there's also another shot from the opposite direction that I want to do. I also have a wheelbarrow similar to the one in the photo below and at the front of the church. 

.fullsizeoutput_13498.jpeg.e70dbb071116c74473e4765de69d256f.jpeg

General Apathy

Recycling items . . . . . . . . . 

Well the recoil spring in my tape-measure has stopped working leaving six or seven yards / metres unwound, rather than junk the entire lot I chopped off seven feet of the tape and tacked it to one of the beams in the shed, an easy reference point if needed. 

.IMG_2142.jpg.8e8803834928f4f0871b3b77892bd8c0.jpg

General Apathy

Recycling items . . . . . 

here's an old Willys slat grille axle U-bolt with snapped thread on one side, kept it for years in case I needed it as a pattern should I need a replacement.  Today I finally made use of it on the chicken shed door and put it through the gate post as I was missing a loop for the sliding bolt. Over the years I have bought several original axle U-bolts both Willys and Ford marked one so I was in no need for this broken one. 

fullsizeoutput_13494.jpeg.4162355b1db70b99bbddd2ac430a8cb6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13496.jpeg.72116f6f6626355372cccb1578cdef71.jpeg

5 hours ago, doyler said:

Patton had some oversized things for sure, but never heard them referred to as "air horns" before.

Mikie

3 hours ago, doyler said:

Last one

image.png.555b3f13ab72c7a5309e56260d43ea8e.png

Lot of great photos, Ron.  

Mikie

General Apathy

Old school chum contact  . . . . . .

Hi, Ken! Graham Priest sent in a Contact Forum query and it is for you. So, I'm passing on the message and their email address, in case this is something you'd like to answer, I'm sending it on to you! :) 

Elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth,  Graham I was pleased to hear from you, if you are reading this I have emailed twice to the address that was given and not heard back from you, not certain if you have received messages from me, if not please make contact again with confirmation of your contact details.  Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  July 12  2022.

General Apathy

Temperatures today in Normandy. . . . . . 

just come in the house from the garden for a coffee break where the temperature today at 13h00 is 43 Celsius / 109 Fahrenheit  . . . . . . . . . . given another couple of hours by mid-afternoon and it might possibly be even warmer  . . . . . . .