Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

well definitely not longer than next Tuesday, since I have a dinner date in Normandy on Wednesday 😎

Hi Johan,

what a weird coincidence I also have a dinner rendezvous on Wednesday in NORMANDY, mine is at 20h00 . . . . .  with OLD friends. 👏

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 24  2022.

5 hours ago, mikie said:

Totally not military and nothing to do with Normandy...

This little guy likes to check me out when he sees me while on I'm my morning walk.  All the other squirrels run and hide as soon as I come by.  But not this one.  He climbs up to eye level and seems happy to see me.  This has been going on maybe once every couple of weeks for over a year.  Either he's nuts or I am.  

Mikie

Squirrel.jpg🌽

Mikie.... I think he knows your a nut.  Take him a few peanuts or corn and make a deal deal. Place them in the tree    🌽 + 🐿️ = 😊

5 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Since I really dont ride the Harley that much, I decided to put it on display in the War Building…

Doesnt look half bad, even if I say so myself…

0417FA20-7E3F-4D31-BE41-7DC8D6AE0564.jpeg

That is an amazing display. Well done

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Most eighty year-olds give up climbing hills, mounds and stairs . . . . . . . . . . . 

fullsizeoutput_1272e.jpeg.6751339510ad2f377297d9ad1a000141.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1272c.jpeg.0b443f00a9f52085ab8563799ded2aac.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 24  2022.

And you want us to believe you consume apricot flavoured water.......

22 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Since I really dont ride the Harley that much, I decided to put it on display in the War Building…

Doesnt look half bad, even if I say so myself…

0417FA20-7E3F-4D31-BE41-7DC8D6AE0564.jpeg

Well, it's justified to say so yourself. Great display. The hands and face of the mannequin are particularly good also.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

And you want us to believe you consume apricot flavoured water.......

Hi Rene,  

If I recall about two days after I bought the Jeep I took my brother-in-law out for a ride, never mentioned leaving the hard-top and going off-roading, I engaged four wheel drive low ratio and headed up a hill so steep all my brother-in-law could see was clear blue sky and no ground ahead of him, I don't recall him riding with me again . . . . . . . . 😈

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 25  2022.

General Apathy

according to the scuttlebutt going around the UK War & Peace show has been cancelled, so Brits and Europeans check it out if you're booked in for it . . . . . . . .

31st May militaria fair at Grandcamp Maisy, Normandy, possibly first show date for the anniversary week here in Normandy,  generally a good show for vehicle and uniform items . . . . . .   Usually held in the village sports hall.  

Ken,

The first thing I did when I saw the rearranged forum was to look for this thread! Glad I found you!

...Kat

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  

If I recall about two days after I bought the Jeep I took my brother-in-law out for a ride, never mentioned leaving the hard-top and going off-roading, I engaged four wheel drive low ratio and headed up a hill so steep all my brother-in-law could see was clear blue sky and no ground ahead of him, I don't recall him riding with me again . . . . . . . . 😈

😄

13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

The first thing I did when I saw the rearranged forum was to look for this thread! Glad I found you!

...Kat

me too

me

General Apathy
17 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

...Kat

Hi Kat,

yes took me five minutes or so myself . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 26  2022.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:00 PM, doyler said:

Mikie.... I think he knows your a nut.  Take him a few peanuts or corn and make a deal deal. Place them in the tree    🌽 + 🐿️ = 😊

When my "essential" company reopened after the first week of the big shutdown, almost the entire business area I work at was empty.  The wonderful crow smorgasburg of all the lovely dumpsters were suddenly empty.  These 2 hungry crows started following me around on my break walks.  I started giving them some of my peanut snacks and they've been my pals ever since.    Sometimes they hang out above my office door waiting for me.  The ducks, on the other hand aren't usually too over the moon to see me.

Mikie  

Crows.jpg

Duck Butts.jpg

General Apathy
10 hours ago, mikie said:

When my "essential" company reopened after the first week of the big shutdown, almost the entire business area I work at was empty.  The wonderful crow smorgasburg of all the lovely dumpsters were suddenly empty.  These 2 hungry crows started following me around on my break walks.  I started giving them some of my peanut snacks and they've been my pals ever since.    Sometimes they hang out above my office door waiting for me.  The ducks, on the other hand aren't usually too over the moon to see me.

Mikie  

Crows.jpg

Duck Butts.jpg

Hi Mikie,

well nothing to say about the ducks I think they are performing silent messages for you how grateful they are to you . . . . . .

Two weeks ago I thought I had a rabbit living amongst the wild vegetation at the far end of the garden,  got a better look at it today as it hopped along, I now think it's a baby hare due to the length of it's rear legs, I throw it left over lettuce and carrots.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 27  2022.

General Apathy

about a week ago I posted bout two fatalities in a Jeep . . . . . taking precautions now

About a week go I posted about a Jeep that was hit in the rear by a Mercedes travelling at roughly three times the speed of the Jeep, so yesterday I bought some clip-on bicycle high power LED lamps, I have fitted to my rear grab handles and to the front grille. I will be using these during daylight as well as at night, ( quite effective even in daylight ) todays drivers are not used to slower vehicles out on the rod.

fitting to the rear grab handles was easy as they are similar size as bicycle handlebars.  On the grille at the front I used a couple of pieces of tubing slotted into the rear of the grill to prevent the edges of the grille cutting through the light straps.

Available are a second style of light fitting with just a clip on the rear this can simply be slid onto the top edge of the rear bumperettes.  

.fullsizeoutput_127be.jpeg.6cf86aa4da90326d561be7c4167900a0.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_127ce.jpeg.a9ee2fb8aca2131f109482da778ade3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_127d3.jpeg.948b97d8195eb10c7154a4265e5e4db0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_127d8.jpeg.b0edd8be7d431ae80147d093d2846a8f.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpg.59ae323eb97f7be0f48d327fc145df99.jpg

fullsizeoutput_127da.jpeg.84993713a50b195bdeb3b93f7fdbd364.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpg.dbc6eea7c806763e2b772bf7c8178dcb.jpg

fullsizeoutput_127db.jpeg.78eacce27253f7fc340301ad7096ff22.jpeg

11 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie  

Crows are very intelligent and they can distinguish and recognize individuals :)

On 5/25/2022 at 11:48 PM, General Apathy said:

according to the scuttlebutt going around the UK War & Peace show has been cancelled, so Brits and Europeans check it out if you're booked in for it . . . . . . . .

Unfortunately, it has been confirmed. A shame as I was invited by a friend again and planning to go. I love this show and have been many times, but the decline over the last couple of years was obvious and it would have interesting so see how it would be post-Covid and -Brexit. Despite having gradually less vehicles attending every year it was still huge and I love spending a week there.

43 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

about a week ago I posted bout two fatalities in a Jeep . . . . . taking precautions now

About a week go I posted about a Jeep that was hit in the rear by a Mercedes travelling at roughly three times the speed of the Jeep, so yesterday I bought some clip-on bicycle high power LED lamps, I have fitted to my rear grab handles and to the front grille. I will be using these during daylight as well as at night, ( quite effective even in daylight ) todays drivers are not used to slower vehicles out on the rod.

fitting to the rear grab handles was easy as they are similar size as bicycle handlebars.  On the grille at the front I used a couple of pieces of tubing slotted into the rear of the grill to prevent the edges of the grille cutting through the light straps.

Available are a second style of light fitting with just a clip on the rear this can simply be slid onto the top edge of the rear bumperettes. 

I will follow your example and get these lights too. Easy to put on & off and the batteries last a long time. Don't forget however that the problem usually isn't you aren't seen, but people don't expect the difference in speed unless you're a lorry. Still avoiding highways whenever possible.

General Apathy
4 hours ago, earlymb said:

I will follow your example and get these lights too. Easy to put on & off and the batteries last a long time. Don't forget however that the problem usually isn't you aren't seen, but people don't expect the difference in speed unless you're a lorry. Still avoiding highways whenever possible.

Hi earlymb,

These LED attachments are a cheap option and work out at 99 cents european each including two batteries per unit.  A Jeeping friend from the UK is over next week and he has obtained for me two ( & a spare ) six-volt Stop & Tail LED bulbs to fit into my regular rear light housings but they are about £8.50 UK pounds each. !!!!!!

I have been carrying red LED clip on lamps for about eight years in case I have to leave my Jeep at the roadside for any reason, but after that road accident I will be running them during the day and at night now. .  Every car has a turbo now and drivers use them . . . . . . .

For you Jeep Guys, I have a couple of questions.  When I was in the service stationed in Korea in the mid-80’s, we were still using M151 Jeeps, and they were maintained in our company motor pool.  I don’t recall any specific safety issues with the M151’s.  When I’ve recently researched Jeeps for sale, I usually see the WWII era Willys and Fords, and very few M151’s.  Recently, I read something about the roll-over hazard associated with the M151, but I don’t understand why if that’s a legitimate issue, why the same issue wouldn’t apply to the WWII era Jeeps.  So, if in the market for a Jeep, are M151’s a bad investment, legit safety issue, something to avoid?  Any advantages to an M151?  Other advice?

General Apathy
19 hours ago, earlymb said:

Crows are very intelligent and they can distinguish and recognize individuals :)

Unfortunately, it has been confirmed. A shame as I was invited by a friend again and planning to go. I love this show and have been many times, but the decline over the last couple of years was obvious and it would have interesting so see how it would be post-Covid and -Brexit. Despite having gradually less vehicles attending every year it was still huge and I love spending a week there.

Hi earlymb,

back in the late 90's Beltring War & Peace show attracted around 4,000 / 5,000 military vehicles and being quite close to the ferry ports a lot of European entrants and dealers. Back then there was NO CHARGE to enter a vehicle for the show, there has been lots of criticism on the internet and Face-book challenging the wisdom of the new organisers charging entry to vehicle owners.  Our forum friend Johan was a regular visitor from Belgium and always enjoyed doing so.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 28  2022.

25 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb,

back in the late 90's Beltring War & Peace show attracted around 4,000 / 5,000 military vehicles and being quite close to the ferry ports a lot of European entrants and dealers. Back then there was NO CHARGE to enter a vehicle for the show, there has been lots of criticism on the internet and Face-book challenging the wisdom of the new organisers charging entry to vehicle owners.  Our forum friend Johan was a regular visitor from Belgium and always enjoyed doing so.  

4000-5000 vehicles! Holy smokes! 

General Apathy
7 hours ago, BryanJ said:

For you Jeep Guys, I have a couple of questions.  When I was in the service stationed in Korea in the mid-80’s, we were still using M151 Jeeps, and they were maintained in our company motor pool.  I don’t recall any specific safety issues with the M151’s.  When I’ve recently researched Jeeps for sale, I usually see the WWII era Willys and Fords, and very few M151’s.  Recently, I read something about the roll-over hazard associated with the M151, but I don’t understand why if that’s a legitimate issue, why the same issue wouldn’t apply to the WWII era Jeeps.  So, if in the market for a Jeep, are M151’s a bad investment, legit safety issue, something to avoid?  Any advantages to an M151?  Other advice?

Hi BryanJ,

I always found that owning vehicles / uniforms all depended on the fact ' would / could the item have been used on D-Day ' so anything pre December 1941 and post D-Day was generally avoided by owners / collectors., June 1944 became a critical date. 

Yes supposedly the army disliked the M151 and successors due to the suspension differences which tended allow body sway and possible roll-over in a tight or fast turn, but a lot of these problems were brought on by youthful exuberance, a young man, a free vehicle, a free tank of gas and no responsibility of ownership would drive them hard, and I was just as guilty in my youth.

Post war the British army acquired a British made replacement for the wartime US Jeep, it was called the Austin Champ it also had the easy rollover capabilities as well due again to the suspension design ( and I know this as I did roll one, one wet and dark night ) fortunately not mine it belonged to my then friend Bob Plant, Zeppelin singer, however I did pay for repairs and replacements.

Austin Champs being post-war and post D-Day do not have the image that a WWII Willys / Ford GPW has and hence the value.  Certainly in the UK more eminence is put on a pre D-Day Jeep and these can be regularly seen for sale in the 20,000 / 30,000 range, an Austin Champ still sells below a 1,000 and parts for Champs are almost non-existent. So if maintaining the value of an item is crucial then that D-Day deadline still has a lot of influence on values, and sadly post war Jeeps / vehicles will never be as desirable as a pre D-Day one.

of course if anyone is a Viet-Nam collector then of course it has to be a post D-Day / War Jeep to fit the requirements of a Viet-Nam scenario, which for various reasons are more scarce than WWII Jeeps.  

General Apathy
16 minutes ago, mikie said:

4000-5000 vehicles! Holy smokes! 

Hi Mikie,

all due to the closeness / distance driving to get there, the US is so large with great distances between locations it's more difficult to congregate a group of vehicles. . Beltring used to be the annual place to be if a vehicle owner / collector.

Of course Normandy these next two weeks is the place to be for vehicle owners and collectors, also to see and be-seen.   

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb,

My first trips were in that era so I've seen the heydays of the show, and also its decline over the recent years. I don't think most people would mind to pay a bit for facilities, since you could come and stay on the show grounds for over a week if you want. It's a short vacation more than just a weekend show! However, a lot of people feel that £125 is a bit to much for the privilege to bring THEIR veicle in so someone ELSE can make money of it by showing it to the paying visitor, and they do have a point.

22 hours ago, BryanJ said:

Unlike the MB/GPW/M38/M38A1 jeeps, early M151's had swing axles which could fold at higher speed turns and cause a roll-over. This problem was sort of corrected in later versions (like the addition of a roll cage), but because of this the US government deemed the M151 unsafe for use on public roads and most M151's that were sold through government auctions were cut up for scrap. Hence, most examples on the MV circuit have been welded back together again, and an uncut example will sell for a premium.

For a history of the M151 including a description of the problems see https://jeep.fandom.com/wiki/M151_MUTT . There's also a section on the M151on http://forums.g503.com, which you should check out if you're interested in getting an example.

I think that if you're aware of the problem and the danger it poses the risk is manageable. I think earlier (Vietnam-era) examples are certainly collectible, but I don't follow the prices so no idea how much they do now.

Then and Now; most of you will understand that the piper cub didn't get there because of some pilot's amazing landing skills. It was definitely placed there, probably in reference to the nearby former German miltary airfield (Fliegerhorst Venlo) that after the liberation of Venlo was rehabilitated for use by USAAF forces (Yankee 55, a.k.a. of Venlo Hilton because of its primitive living quarters). Nice photo op, though

In the Now shot only a small part from one of the towers of the town hall reminds of the location (left from the middle behind the trees).

273884745_3174073656154494_6231947375611983611_n.jpg.7d7866a06c3f3d72808a445a30e5714f.jpgSAM_1976.JPG.e7d3f23baba27256bba43b84a4169de5.JPG