Norman D. Landing

bilko1

3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Mikie,

California was a lush tropical forest 20,000 years ago but since then it’s been turning into a desert and hasn’t stopped.

You might get more droughts.

😁

It looks like droughts are becoming the "new normal"

Mikie

General Apathy
8 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Beautiful garden 

Hi Peter,

thanks, it really has been a beautiful display this year, sadly I think they are just past their best, the next floral display will be all the roses I believe. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 05  2022.

General Apathy
4 hours ago, mikie said:

It looks like droughts are becoming the "new normal"

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

yes there seems to be longer spurts of dry days, weeks or even months, to deal with this I have 5 x 1.000 litre containers hidden behind trees at the far end of the garden, these collect rainwater off the garage roofs, purely for watering the plants.  

General Apathy

talking water & droughts . . . . . . .

a couple of years ago my doctor advised me to hydrate more, he was highly surprised when I told him I have never drunk water all my life only five or six cups of coffee a day, no water, no soda, no cans just the coffee.  

Anyway I have finally yielded to trying to hydrate but I dislike the taste of water so I have to flavour it slightly with some apricot juice. Now I further dislike drinking from plastic containers and use an old gin bottle, I fill with water and the flavouring.

Right so here's where I was trying to get to,  every day or two I clean the inside of the bottle using two egg-cups of dry rice and one egg-cup of water, replace the cap and gently slide the mixture back and forth on all sides for several minutes and the inside becomes crystal clear again.

I figured that this would be a good way to clean the inside of U.S. Army aluminium canteens for re-enactors using them in their portrayals.

.fullsizeoutput_1239a.jpeg.9c001a6f94aa045ce5dc153481f3cf83.jpeg 

manayunkman

I love apricot juice.

I lived several years in the California hi desert and had to drink at least 3 qts a day or my fingers and lips would start to crack. 

That’s how I got used to drinking water, will still kill a gallon in 3 days and only get chapped lips when I’m not drinking.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

talking water & droughts . . . . . . .

a couple of years ago my doctor advised me to hydrate more, he was highly surprised when I told him I have never drunk water all my life only five or six cups of coffee a day, no water, no soda, no cans just the coffee.  

Anyway I have finally yielded to trying to hydrate but I dislike the taste of water so I have to flavour it slightly with some apricot juice. Now I further dislike drinking from plastic containers and use an old gin bottle, I fill with water and the flavouring.

Right so here's where I was trying to get to,  every day or two I clean the inside of the bottle using two egg-cups of dry rice and one egg-cup of water, replace the cap and gently slide the mixture back and forth on all sides for several minutes and the inside becomes crystal clear again.

I figured that this would be a good way to clean the inside of U.S. Army aluminium canteens for re-enactors using them in their portrayals.

.fullsizeoutput_1239a.jpeg.9c001a6f94aa045ce5dc153481f3cf83.jpeg 

Hope you don't take a swig out of that bottle while you are driving around in the jeep.  Unless you like flashing lights and sirens. 

Mikie

Johan Willaert
15 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Now hope for a Willys restoration guide :)

They've been talking about an MB guide for many years,from shortly after the 1st and revised edition of the small GPW guide came out in 1998/99

Apparently no-one up for the challenge... but since the 5-tome Lloyd White books have filled the gap

General Apathy

Well what a surprise I had today . . . . . . . . 

as we passed the Utah beach museum this morning on the way to a veteran car show at Quineville my co-pilot pointed out the missing ground zero road / route marker, apparently it was recently stolen so he went on to inform me. I hadn't heard the news before today,  all we saw was the damaged base that it had been removed from . . . . . . . . this is a photo taken prior to it's disappearance.

.fullsizeoutput_123d5.jpeg.d538efc1d62168e776ff5430e02e2ffa.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 07  2022.

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Sun’s out, Jeep’s out

with a galvanized can this time…

A1E75DBC-64C9-4FC8-923F-E615F6F91219.jpeg

87243918-2B17-4A15-871F-F20877CB9F57.jpeg

Hi Johan,

nice galvanised can, been on my wish list for some time, heard of several turning up in Normandy over the years, but not spotted one myself yet, still the season of military shows and events is almost upon us.  

General Apathy
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Well what a surprise I had today . . . . . . . . 

as we passed the Utah beach museum this morning on the way to a veteran car show at Quineville my co-pilot pointed out the missing ground zero road / route marker, apparently it was recently stolen so he went on to inform me. I hadn't heard the news before today,  all we saw was the damaged base that it had been removed from . . . . . . . . this is a photo taken prior to it's disappearance.

.fullsizeoutput_123d5.jpeg.d538efc1d62168e776ff5430e02e2ffa.jpeg 

hahhaaa a different story now . . . . . . 

Ok so I had passed along the information I had been given, but now I have been given a second story, quote . . . . . 

"  some young lady drove over it and it has been taken away for restoration . . . . . .  "  again awaiting more details . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert
7 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

nice galvanised can, been on my wish list for some time, heard of several turning up in Normandy over the years, but not spotted one myself yet, still the season of military shows and events is almost upon us.  

Thx Ken, I actually bought this one at the Vierville Militaria fair in June 2014

See you in a couple of weeks... not long now

General Apathy
14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

hahhaaa a different story now . . . . . . 

Ok so I had passed along the information I had been given, but now I have been given a second story, quote . . . . . 

"  some young lady drove over it and it has been taken away for restoration . . . . . .  "  again awaiting more details . . . . . . .

So more on the details of the damaged marker . . . . . . .

Hi Ken,
I have just heard that a woman in a car overshot the junction and hit the KM00 marker at Utah. So not stolen, but badly damaged and knocked over.
Cheers 
Allan

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 08  2022.

General Apathy
14 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx Ken, I actually bought this one at the Vierville Militaria fair in June 2014

See you in a couple of weeks... not long now

Hi Johan,  several years ago a visitor from the UK renting holiday accommodation from local friends of mine bought a galvanised can and was unaware of the significance of the galvanised finish until I helped with identification of the can, firstly he was amazed at his luck on a first purchase but then I heard he sold it once he was back in the UK. 

cutiger83
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  several years ago a visitor from the UK renting holiday accommodation from local friends of mine bought a galvanised can and was unaware of the significance of the galvanised finish until I helped with identification of the can, firstly he was amazed at his luck on a first purchase but then I heard he sold it once he was back in the UK. 

Ken,

Pardon my ignorance again but what is special about these cans?

...Kat

General Apathy
5 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Pardon my ignorance again but what is special about these cans?

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Early WWII the US Army had the standard gas cans but no design had been given to a specific water can ( large cam operated lid ) until later so normal gas cans with the screw cap were galvanised for water use, here galvanised ones can be seen with a large letter ' W ' stencilled on the sides. Also to be seen in use for water are milk churns. 

.fullsizeoutput_1240e.jpeg.4184547ffc3dfc1c65ca264ac989f160.jpeg

13 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Early WWII the US Army had the standard gas cans but no design had been given to a specific water can ( large cam operated lid ) until later so normal gas cans with the screw cap were galvanised for water use, here galvanised ones can be seen with a large letter ' W ' stencilled on the sides. Also to be seen in use for water are milk churns. 

Good thing Kat asked because I was going to. Saved me some typing. Yet another new thing learned on the forum! 

Mikie

cutiger83
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Very interesting!  Thanks !

...Kat

About 8 years ago we were in Normandy with a small group and one of my friends needed a US jerrycan. One of the shops in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (I think it might have been Holdy, not sure) had a whole bunch for €25 each and he asked me to pick out a nice one for him. If I remember correctly it was a mix of war- an postwar dated ones, but when I pulled out a war-dated one with a stamped 'USN' marking I pushed it in his hands, told him to pay for it and bring it to his Dodge before they changed their mind.

He was puzzled but did what I told him and was very pleasantly surprised when I told him later it was one of the rarest of all the versions of Jerrycans in use with any country...

General Apathy
3 hours ago, earlymb said:

About 8 years ago we were in Normandy with a small group and one of my friends needed a US jerrycan. One of the shops in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (I think it might have been Holdy, not sure) had a whole bunch for €25 each and he asked me to pick out a nice one for him. If I remember correctly it was a mix of war- an postwar dated ones, but when I pulled out a war-dated one with a stamped 'USN' marking I pushed it in his hands, told him to pay for it and bring it to his Dodge before they changed their mind.

He was puzzled but did what I told him and was very pleasantly surprised when I told him later it was one of the rarest of all the versions of Jerrycans in use with any country...

Hi earlymb,

good spot, good advice, good buy . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 09  2022.

General Apathy

I hope this doesn't bring you to tears . . . . . . . . . . . . 

here's a blog on Youtube about the quality of the boots issued to US troops in WWII . . . . . .

General Apathy

needed to bleed the Jeep brakes . . . . . 

I still use the old tried and tested method of bleeding the Jeep brakes as recommended in TM 9-803 Jeep manual.  

Normally when we are not using the bleed tube we store it for years coiled up in a tool drawer or such.  When it comes time to use it, it can be hands on trying to keep it straight and stop it from re-curling out the jar when the end should be under a level of fluid in the bleed jar / bottle.

So I use a thin piece of wire inserted in the tube and it will stand straight on it's own without fighting with it, and still supple enough to bend as needed.  One hand to secure it on the bleed nipple and the other to operate the wrench . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_12442.jpeg.475bc921e77c71fa254607f9bae79a85.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpg.b16ebdedd20d1fab9fa4d1802949b5d4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_12441.jpeg.b5c2507fb6df3c88ff7b6fd2e7a24198.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1243f.jpeg.11084a5d2afd9a9d92623caf0043ecea.jpeg

44 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

needed to bleed the Jeep brakes . . . . . 

I still use the old tried and tested method of bleeding the Jeep brakes as recommended in TM 9-803 Jeep manual.  

Normally when we are not using the bleed tube we store it for years coiled up in a tool drawer or such.  When it comes time to use it, it can be hands on trying to keep it straight and stop it from re-curling out the jar when the end should be under a level of fluid in the bleed jar / bottle.

So I use a thin piece of wire inserted in the tube and it will stand straight on it's own without fighting with it, and still supple enough to bend as needed.  One hand to secure it on the bleed nipple and the other to operate the wrench . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_12442.jpeg.475bc921e77c71fa254607f9bae79a85.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpg.b16ebdedd20d1fab9fa4d1802949b5d4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_12441.jpeg.b5c2507fb6df3c88ff7b6fd2e7a24198.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1243f.jpeg.11084a5d2afd9a9d92623caf0043ecea.jpeg

Brilliant!