Norman D. Landing

bilko1

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Everyone,

Really pleased to see that the conversations and images continued to be posted since I last added anything here. Apologies I have a lot going on off-line currently to deal with . . . . . . . . .

However I made this comparison shot this morning as I was passing through Carentan.

Note the two enamelled road-signs on the wall at the rear of the half-track, the one on the left points in the direction of Valognes & Cherbourg, the one on the right in the direction of St. Lo & Paris.

I faded the colours on my comparison as the buildings now have quite garish paintwork. 

.fullsizeoutput_10172.jpeg.9b4d4625b84b9388dd9291236b32424f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_10176.jpeg.964326fb88a6da1c16fd8027ea483d37.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 20  2022.

Ken is back, at least briefly. And he has a spot-on T&N for us!  Woohoo! 

Sadly I haven't had much substantial to post here lately.  I seem to be in a dry patch for collecting and historical tid-bits for a while.  Glad you others have been pitching in! It's all been good!  

Mikie

17 hours ago, BryanJ said:

That was an interesting WWII band photo, which sparked my recollection about my experience with the 101st Airborne Division Band during Desert Storm.  My best friend from high school was a trumpet player in the 101st Airborne Division Band.  Before the air/ground war began, the 101st band and the entire division, was in this massive tent city, in the desert near a Saudi airbase.  Well, through some imaginative wheeling and dealing (another story) our MP Battalion was in a very nice compound not too far away, performing security for a large Medical unit.  When I say nice, I’m talking, hard buildings, air conditioning, tennis courts, pool, and catered meals.  Well, I looked up my buddy, saw how they were living (i.e., tents, 110 degree heat, no showers, MRE’s, etc.) and made a proposition, we’d put the band up for a day or so at our compound, let them shower, eat some really good chow, enjoy the pool, tennis facilities, etc., if they’d come over to our compound and put on a private show for us and the medical unit.  Needless to say, they were all over that deal faster than I could say Band of Brothers!  Well, when you think of a military band, you’re probably thinking military marches, John Phillips Sousa, oh no.  They broke out the rock band version, showing just what a bunch of talented musicians they really were, baby, I’m talking Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, best of Motown, you name it, they played it.  They were so damn grateful to get out of that tent city where they were living, they put on a by-god killer concert.  Well, that night in our Saudi Arabian compound, a dance broke out, and it’s amazing to recall just how much smuggled liquor actually made it into country (another story), but heck, we couldn’t get rid of that band after that.  For sure, a good time was had by all for a couple of days.  But, sometime after that, we all moved to the desert, Iraq, doing real military stuff, etc.  But that concert was a hell-of-a time that I’ll never forget.  Below are a few photos of the 101st band in military mode, backing up Bob Hope (the photos of our concert were confiscated (with the exception of a few I kept). I’m sending a link of this post to my high school buddy, with a special thanks for a good party 31 years ago!

D365A245-7066-4915-8AB2-CD9126774BDE.jpeg

9C6CB470-E630-425E-B13D-0CEC8959B232.jpeg

3088B08A-4E42-4E9D-AEA1-9328C325B8A9.jpeg

Great story.  I've always enjoyed my rare opportunities to hear live military bands.  Always had a great time whenever I've seen one.  But it's been quite a while now since the last time.  I think the last one was an Army Pipe and Drum band at a Scottish festival.  Man, I love bagpipes.  I had the chance to see Bob Hope at a live show back in 1976 or so.  Great fun, and I was thrilled to see such a living legend.  

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Bluehawk & Mikie,

thank you for adding likes to the Then & Now images above.

Last week a long term Dutch friend died from cancer, a UK friend has emailed our circle of friends to look for images and anecdotal stories to make up a book of our Dutch friends life for his widow.  One of the UK circle came across these images below of a GMC I owned in the 1980's and sent them to me, I am pleased he did as I have mentioned several times before we never had camera-phones back then.

So it's a closed cab long wheel based GMC 353, I named the truck ' B the B ' ( By the Balls ) and had a cartoon painted on the two doors showing a figure of the statue of Liberty pulling Adolf Hitler off the floor by his balls.  In the last photo can be seen the body of a Dodge 3/4 ton Carryall I was also rebuilding at that time, which I had discovered in a Citroen garage in Brehal, France being used as a break-down truck.

The GMC series of trucks had the best exhaust tone of all WWII military vehicles when rolling along. . . . . . . . . . such a joy to own and drive.

Well the collection of vehicles were all sold before my move to France in 2007.

.fullsizeoutput_101ed.jpeg.f884ff186d8d3af5ad3cec09e35dd269.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_101f8.jpeg.5f0adf8981a27c94592607763acf5019.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_101ff.jpeg.0d6d55fcb783d162a288341cb1895f67.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_1020c.jpeg.40558c2e08fe669353b157c3a016df5f.jpeg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

Ken is back, at least briefly. And he has a spot-on T&N for us!  Woohoo! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Well apologies I have been busy with other necessary work whilst absent, but I have pulled together around a dozen wartime images to make comparisons when I get the opportunity, the first one shown above that you kindly commented on.

General Apathy

WWII Trouser Suspenders . . . . . . . 

these coloured and striped suspenders ( second photo ) look pretty un-military in appearance, but during WWII allowances were made on some pieces of equipment regarding what materials were available to manufacture those pieces. 

What is fortunate for us in this post are the labels still connected to the styles / patterns of suspenders giving us an insight into the manufacturing at that time around 1943.

First off the three different style / patterns are all made by the same manufacturer ' Makegood Mfg. Co. N.Y. ', even though they have differences in materials the Stock numbers are all identical ' Stock No. 73-S-73000 ', all the three Spec numbers are identical ' Spec No. 247A '

So the first photo shows a ' Contract date of 7-7-43 ' tan webbing on most of the suspender with two short sections of elasticated material on the lower rear, all the ends are short leather tabs for connecting with the buttons on the trousers.

.fullsizeoutput_10184.jpeg.d43a68f17b5ce6034ba001bb51544e21.jpeg

The second photo with a ' Contract date 9-22-43 ' shows a different style of manufacturing, all elasticated material without any webbing straps, the front button attachments are different with long leather pieces and slotted button-holes at the bottom. 

fullsizeoutput_1017a.jpeg.24192bd7fb02c86542378ced7f455be0.jpeg

The third photo reverts back to the same style of materials as in the first photo but in O.D. green in place of tan. The ' Contract Date 9-30-43 'again there are only two short lengths of elasticated material at the rear, less decorative than in the first photo without the two detailing stripes.

( Note the two tabs either side of the label one is a green colour and one more brownish this is one the same set of suspenders, as are the two tabs on the suspender ends below the label, the white tabs are the unfinished undersides of the leather tabs ) 

.fullsizeoutput_1017f.jpeg.6aeb193217b5b5954eabeab89cfe5a79.jpeg 

So for me an interesting look at the similarities and differences of one item ' Suspenders ' in the Quartermaster supply chain, now I don't have a set of Suspenders Mountain troops to hand for detailed photos, but the construction is similar to the web suspenders in the first and third photo and have metal loops in place of leather tabs for the buttons.  

Edit :-  just thought about this photograph the mountain suspenders are not really posed for a photograph but the metal loops of the mountain suspenders are just visible to the left of the name Norman ). 

fullsizeoutput_1020d.jpeg.eb0dbcc3a30080d2292b5103e5de768a.jpeg 

General Apathy

A couple of announcements for this year 2022 . . . . 27th February & 4th June. 

.fullsizeoutput_fff8.jpeg.ffe9c49ab012c81c420ab2c10227124b.jpeg

.u4bdawjh.jpg.783f9d6e6f57f6691caf68eec6822069.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21  2022.

14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Bluehawk & Mikie,

thank you for adding likes to the Then & Now images above.

Last week a long term Dutch friend died from cancer, a UK friend has emailed our circle of friends to look for images and anecdotal stories to make up a book of our Dutch friends life for his widow.  One of the UK circle came across these images below of a GMC I owned in the 1980's and sent them to me, I am pleased he did as I have mentioned several times before we never had camera-phones back then.

So it's a closed cab long wheel based GMC 353, I named the truck ' B the B ' ( By the Balls ) and had a cartoon painted on the two doors showing a figure of the statue of Liberty pulling Adolf Hitler off the floor by his balls.  In the last photo can be seen the body of a Dodge 3/4 ton Carryall I was also rebuilding at that time, which I had discovered in a Citroen garage in Brehal, France being used as a break-down truck.

The GMC series of trucks had the best exhaust tone of all WWII military vehicles when rolling along. . . . . . . . . . such a joy to own and drive.

Well the collection of vehicles were all sold before my move to France in 2007.

.fullsizeoutput_101ed.jpeg.f884ff186d8d3af5ad3cec09e35dd269.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_101f8.jpeg.5f0adf8981a27c94592607763acf5019.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_101ff.jpeg.0d6d55fcb783d162a288341cb1895f67.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_1020c.jpeg.40558c2e08fe669353b157c3a016df5f.jpeg

Nice truck .A farmer West of me has one but it has a farm box on it

N

General Apathy
12 minutes ago, LtRGFRANK said:

Nice truck . A farmer West of me has one but it has a farm box on it

Hi Robert

thanks, I have to say that the US got such a lot of things right in WWII GMC trucks and Jeeps being two of them.

Ken,

Great then and now post! The windows in the rear look a little different now but great eye to find this! 

I was wondering. You may have already posted some pictures but my mind is old and forgetful. Did you ever have a collection of women's items? Mainly nursing items. Or were you mainly Army? 

...Kat

General Apathy
2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Great then and now post! The windows in the rear look a little different now but great eye to find this! 

I was wondering. You may have already posted some pictures but my mind is old and forgetful. Did you ever have a collection of women's items? Mainly nursing items. Or were you mainly Army? 

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I have sorted around a dozen new locations for ' T & N ' shots when I get around to visiting them over the following weeks. 

Yes I did have various items of WAAC, WAC, Nurse clothing and accoutrements, all gone now and mainly un-photographed which I have been trying to encourage collectors to photograph pieces as they arrive for their collections. An uphill struggle once you have hoards of the stuff packed into wardrobes, cartons and ' Shoeboxes '  . . . . . . . . . When I had the store running I tried to grab as much as I saw for female store customers .

General Apathy

I meant to add, great GMC truck! I didn't realize you had other vehicles besides jeeps! 😁

....Kat

Hi Kat.

Yes I had several U.S. vehicles and several Jeeps over the years.  Thanks for commenting on the truck, I have always been more interested in utility type vehicles than Italian sports models.  The GMC truck is one of those vehicles that you regret selling and would love to have kept, but lack of space post-divorce cures many things . . . . . .  .

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

I just read something in the news that referenced this place.  I don't think I've heard of it before.  I'll need to check it out someday when my car situation is resolved.

https://generalpattonmuseum.com/

Anyone ever been there?  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Thanks for the link,  if you're currently having a problem with your car then perhaps you should be visiting in a Jeep as it's the Patton Museum. 😹

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2022.

General Apathy

Looks like Bill Mauldin was already ahead of the curve in 1944 regarding the end of gasoline . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_10251.jpeg.5a1ac6d9a282d13421088126cb0a4b49.jpeg

Out in my little half-garage and decided to take a pic of my footlocker/shoebox for you. Nothing terribly exciting compared to the collections many of you probably have. But with a small budget and even smaller display/storage area, this is about half by volume of my war stuff, not counting books. Enjoy! 

914903F9-02E6-40D8-83BB-B02A7C4A275D.jpeg

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Thanks for the link,  if you're currently having a problem with your car then perhaps you should be visiting in a Jeep as it's the Patton Museum. 😹

I’ve been driving our “spare” emergency car for over a year now when some a-holes stole my catalytic converter out of my old car. I’ve been waiting for our job situations to stabilize a bit before getting some new wheels. Once I get something more reliable, I do have a few outings with locations I think may be enjoyed here. A Jeep eh? Hmmmmm...

5 minutes ago, mikie said:

Out in my little half-garage and decided to take a pic of my footlocker/shoebox for you. Nothing terribly exciting compared to the collections many of you probably have. But with a small budget and even smaller display/storage area, this is about half by volume of my war stuff, not counting books. Enjoy! 

You got your foot in the door and it will be more than twice that size by the end of the year!

Good luck hunting and find some good deals.

16 hours ago, manayunkman said:

You got your foot in the door and it will be more than twice that size by the end of the year!

Good luck hunting and find some good deals.

Thanks but I hope not! I literally have no place to put any more. Not that it would stop me from wanting to pick up something I find that I can't resist. 

17 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie,

What is the aircraft instrument? That tank model is really cool! What kind of model is it?

...Kat

Mikie,

What is the aircraft instrument? That tank model is really cool! What kind of model is it?

...Kat

Hi Kat.  The instrument is a WW2 horizon indicator. This type was used by a lot of different US aircraft during the war. I was told this one was from a scrapped B-24 but i have no idea if true.

The tank model is a fairly accurate Sherman. It’s  a prebuilt toy I picked up at a toy store closing sale 20 years ago. It used to drive around and “shoot” the cannon but I haven’t tried in a long time.

Next time I’m in the garage I’ll take some closeups for you.

Mikie

And here is the other half (more or less) of my Militaria collection. Besides what you can see, there are several binders filled with patches, insignia, photos, and other binderable size little stuff. There just isn’t any more display area so there’s stuff tucked inside that closet. Every so often I’ll exchange stuff around, bring something out, put something away. My dear wife is very tolerant with me having my stuff out, but I don’t want to take too much advantage of it.  If only I had more space! 

I hope all of you have better arrangements. 

mikie

9B714AA4-80A3-47DB-8980-7E6865BC6D43.jpeg

5 hours ago, mikie said:

Thanks but I hope not! I literally have no place to put any more. Not that it would stop me from wanting to pick up something I find that I can't resist. 

Get a storage unit with an easy chair.