Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
15 minutes ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Great photos.  Of course, there were Jeep Tractors on USN carriers too...

2030806336_WillysUSNJeep.jpg.14dd5ce05d63f716f6f7bfcb45970394.jpg

Hi Salvage,

yes I like the Jeep image ' a three wheeler ' !!!!!!!  wonder if the the drivers favourite song was ' Three wheels on my wagon & and I'm still rolling along '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2021.

Johan Willaert
On 12/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, Johan Willaert said:

All US Army units down to Regimental level had a radio callsign codename during WW2. Within the larger unit (Division) all subunits ‘s names started with the same letter, in the 101st AB Div this was a K. Unit names included Kidnap, Klondike, etc…

Within the 29th Division it was an L, for Limestone etc… The 2nd Armored Division’s started with P, for Powerhouse and other names…

Battalions were further identified by color, Red, White and Blue

Klondike Red was 1st Battalion of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment….

These names were generally used on signs and radio communication for secrecy reasons…

Examples in the 9th Division

https://9thinfantrydivision.net/9th-infantry-division-history/call-signs/

Getting back to this topic with a photo showing a Harley riding Military Policeman from the 2nd Armored Division.
All radio callsigns for units of the 2nd AD started with a P, Divisional Headquarters being POWERHOUSE
The MP Platoon was part of the Divisional HQ, hence the sign POWERHOUSE MILITARY POLICE seen in this photo

186474634_10158010376052927_3858096158772702997_n.jpg

Wishing all of us on the USMF in general, and especially everyone here at Norman D Landing all the best for a great 2022. I'm looking forward to another whole year of fun, facts, friendships and learning new things here. Thank you all for the ray of light I've found here this past year. 

Mikie

General Apathy

Wake up folks it 2022 . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_fa22.jpeg.cf3971ef86989b35e4a7377144bc1166.jpeg

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Ok, forum leader people who may see this, in addition to the lovely "Like" button, we need a "Snort out loud laughing" button. One would be appropriate right here. 

Mikie

1 hour ago, mikie said:

Ok, forum leader people who may see this, in addition to the lovely "Like" button, we need a "Snort out loud laughing" button. One would be appropriate right here. 

Mikie

no scratch and sniff  button... will just use my imagination.  processed and recycled c-rats and MREs have a unique aroma that must be experienced in person

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Happy New Year to everyone around here! And with Ken passing gass in an uncontrolled manner, I suggest we break out our masks......

SAM_1715.JPG.73544fac921bb2623fc92803f29230ef.JPG

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Sun’s out, Eastman B3’s out, Jeep’s out!

Happy New Year everyone!

E14E6225-FDB9-41B1-9189-E972129D1100.jpeg

No more likes left, so: LIKE. Like the jacket too, by the way.

Johan Willaert
9 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Like the jacket too, by the way.

Thx, in my opinion Eastman makes the best reproduction WW2 style flying jackets on the market.

This B3 is nearly 30 years old, was back in 1994 a birthday present from my wife, and still great to wear….

Eastman Leather website: https://www.eastmanleather.com

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi Johan,

Great shot and great day to be out in olive drab trucks as well . . . . . . . ten of us went out to a picnic area, set up tables and and laid the food and drink out for everyone to share, more photos to follow. . . . . . . 

It was the first day out for the Jeep we just rebuilt and finished a few days ago, lets face it the owner made his first mistake, he trusted us, there were fits of laughter when at the end of the picnic he tried to start the engine and that's when the hidden smoke bomb went off and the Jeep was shrouded in smoke, sadly didnt have my camera out soon enough and only caught the smoke as it dissipated.  !!

.fullsizeoutput_fa54.jpeg.3034c8ddc16544b9c848596c5a4d4ed6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_fa59.jpeg.c78a3fac7704da8c15738b7e38018080.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 01  2022.

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

48 minutes ago, doyler said:

no scratch and sniff  button... will just use my imagination.  processed and recycled c-rats and MREs have a unique aroma that must be experienced in person

46 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Happy New Year to everyone around here! And with Ken passing gass in an uncontrolled manner, I suggest we break out our masks......

SAM_1715.JPG.73544fac921bb2623fc92803f29230ef.JPG

Hi everyone,

Life's for living and laughing, and hopefully loving as well . . . . . . . .  👍🏻 😂 💑

General Apathy
32 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx, in my opinion Eastman makes the best reproduction WW2 style flying jackets on the market.

This B3 is nearly 30 years old, was back in 1994 a birthday present from my wife, and still great to wear….

Eastman Leather website: https://www.eastmanleather.com

Hi Johan,

I was fortunate to meet with Gary at a military vehicle event back in the 1970's when he showed me his very first A2 jacket and asked me what I thought of it, he's certainly dedicated to producing the best versions of each model / style he makes. 

Johan Willaert
41 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

It was the first day out for the Jeep we just rebuilt and finished a few days ago, lets face it the owner made his first mistake, he trusted us, there were fits of laughter when at the end of the picnic he tried to start the engine and that's when the hidden smoke bomb went off and the Jeep was shrouded in smoke, sadly didnt have my camera out soon enough and only caught the smoke as it dissipated.  !!

Hahaha, would have liked to see the look on his face, or his lady's for that matter....  ;-)

Meanwhile here's a complete view of the Jeep in our countryside today... We had a very nice and sunny New Year's day...

08-GPW56685-01Jan22 (1).JPG

General Apathy
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Great shot and great day to be out in olive drab trucks as well . . . . . . . ten of us went out to a picnic area, set up tables and and laid the food and drink out for everyone to share, more photos to follow. . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_fa54.jpeg.3034c8ddc16544b9c848596c5a4d4ed6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_fa59.jpeg.c78a3fac7704da8c15738b7e38018080.jpeg

Being a petrol head . . . . . . .

Being a petrol-head all my life, with the smell and roar of a petrol engine ,

I find that every time I call into a petrol station I become quite emotional

in fact I keep filling up . . . . . . . . . .!!!!!  🙀 🤣 🤣 

6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Looks great!! Very nice jacket! And of course I love the jeep! 

...Kat

6 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Totally agree! I also laughed out loud at this one!

...Kat

The battery of our jeep died recently so I have to get a new one first, but I wouldn't take it out now anyway as they salted the roads and it hasn't rained enough yet to flush it away.

General Apathy
2 hours ago, earlymb said:

The battery of our jeep died recently so I have to get a new one first, but I wouldn't take it out now anyway as they salted the roads and it hasn't rained enough yet to flush it away.

Hi earlymb.

Very sage advice avoiding salt and sea-water at ALL costs, fortunately I don't believe that they salt the roads here in France, maybe the auto-routes but not the other roads. 

When you watch the amusing car-shows on the television and they drive a multi-thousand pound car through the surf it's all very dramatic and great advertising for the manufacturer who provides the car, but the death-knell for the survival of that car, and especially any vintage models.

Theres an anecdote circulating around the UK in the Jeeping world, a Jeep owner who in fact works for the BBC was asked to loan his Jeep to possibly the worlds number one car show.  He said that he would drive it to the filming location and the show contact said that he wouldn't be allowed on set during filming, this raised alarm bells.  It transpires that it was going to be used on a beach and one of the stunts was to have a tug-of-war between the Jeep and a Land-Rover in the surf.  He withdrew his Jeep from being used as he didn't wish for the engine and drive to be revved at full speed with the opposing vehicle doing the same in the opposite direction, secondly he didn't want it driven through the sea and salt water, a very wise decision.  

I believe the stunt did appear on the series but using someone else's vehicles, great fun for the three presenters but no consideration for loaned vehicles.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 02  2022.

General Apathy

another unusual photo of American soldier in Normandy . . . . . .

About six months ago I posted the rear view of an American soldier in Normandy with a British ' Sticky ' bomb attached to the pack on his back,

here's an even clearer shot of an American soldier carrying one. 

.fullsizeoutput_fa81.jpeg.cb2208b322db8b548d603a9a12bece26.jpeg

16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

another unusual photo of American soldier in Normandy . . . . . .

About six months ago I posted the rear view of an American soldier in Normandy with a British ' Sticky ' bomb attached to the pack on his back,

here's an even clearer shot of an American soldier carrying one. 

.fullsizeoutput_fa81.jpeg.cb2208b322db8b548d603a9a12bece26.jpeg

You sure he's not just playing a samba? :)

General Apathy
3 hours ago, earlymb said:

You sure he's not just playing a samba? :)

Hi earlymb.

could even be a smooth sultry Marimba rhythm such as like Dean Martins song below, 

lovely for dancing closely with the love in your life . . . . . . . . .

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more

Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me, sway with ease
When we dance you have a way with me
Stay with me, sway with me

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=dean+martin+sway&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 03  2022.

General Apathy

from UK friends on another New Years day ride-out . . . . . . . . . .

Yes Johan theres a slat grille . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_fabe.jpeg.7d4f6134f8538b17cf2575bd7d555649.jpeg

.033843e3-3cd4-434e-9c9d-5058e1725101.jpg.ae985790052fd4526d0721d1647e7493.jpg

.c2d34b72-d2a2-4a22-8d5f-641e72bd41d3.jpg.bd1fa6ba1ee5d00bfd2abd7871996270.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 03  2022.