Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Deflectors were mounted on all Willys MBs , not only on the slatgrille, until they too,started using the Ford type hood with the introduction of the ACM2 composite bodies in January 1944.

Mid Production Willys MB with Willys style hood with deflector fitted

MB-AddingEngineOil-JerryCan.jpg

Johan Willaert
On 11/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Johan Willaert said:

279-GPW56685-29Jun21 (57).JPG

Standard Willys MB style hood with deflector fitted; note differences in construction compared to the Ford type hood above and that the tinned spots near the front edge are not present in this Willys hood...

81-MB150823-21Feb21 (1).JPG

Johan Willaert

Ford GPW style hood as would be used on all Jeeps ( Willys and Ford ) from january 1944 onwards.
This 1945 Ford GPW also has the Lubrification Chart holder mounted on the inside of the hood which would have been impossible to slide out or in with a deflector present. Even on this very late production Jeep (31 May 1945) the dimples for the deflector screws are still there, although these Ford style hoods would never have had the deflector fitted.... The lube chart holder was introduced around Dec 1944-January 1945
The grease gun with its bracket on the inside of the hood was introduced around December 1943

And yes, the driver's side hood block on this 1945 GPW was mounted further to the outside; but that's another story...

GPW270404-HoodDetails (1).JPG

GPW270404-HoodDetails (3).JPG

Johan Willaert
3 hours ago, earlymb said:

the retro-fitted 'tombstone' fender black-out light bracket... which is a whole topic on itself. :)

1935837251_2017-05-0615_30_05.jpg.42291c3f3b7fea8d58b61eb9e6ccd439.jpg

Hey David, for the benefit of those that are wondering, photos showing the three main styles of Black Out Driving Light units and brackets used throughout production of the Jeep...
Early production Jeeps would not have the BO light mounted on the fender in the factory and if needed, a post factory kit consisting of a 'tombstone' style bracket would have been available and fitted, generally with a GUIDE made light unit.
From around August 1942 (Willys MB) and September 1942 (Ford GPW), a BO light would be fitted in the factory with a 'horseshoe' bracket and a Corcoran Brown light unit (Willys) or Ford made light unit (on the Ford GPW). The latter usually also had typical script F marking on top of the horseshoe bracket.

BODL-Mei2021 (2).JPG

BODL-Mei2021 (1).JPG

Fascinating info on jeeps. Wonderful details for me to learn about jeeps. 

But it's probably a good thing that you folks aren't involved in restoring battleships. We'd need a bigger forum. 

Mikie

General Apathy
7 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hey David, for the benefit of those that are wondering, photos showing the three main styles of Black Out Driving Light units and brackets used throughout production of the Jeep...
Early production Jeeps would not have the BO light mounted on the fender in the factory and if needed, a post factory kit consisting of a 'tombstone' style bracket would have been available and fitted, generally with a GUIDE made light unit.
From around August 1942 (Willys MB) and September 1942 (Ford GPW), a BO light would be fitted in the factory with a 'horseshoe' bracket and a Corcoran Brown light unit (Willys) or Ford made light unit (on the Ford GPW). The latter usually also had typical script F marking on top of the horseshoe bracket.

BODL-Mei2021 (2).JPG

BODL-Mei2021 (1).JPG

Hi Johan,  

thanks for sharing with everyone some of the finer details of a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep, until you look at them more carefully .

Hi earlymb

Thanks also for showing your slat-grille model and prompting Johan to post blackout driving lamp varieties . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 21  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Now for something g different but still Jeep related  . . . . . . 

Today at the Brooklands racing circuit / museum they held a meeting commemorating the eightieth anniversary of the Jeep concept. They attempted gathering a minimum of eighty Jeep for the eightieth anniversary, it appears that they exceeded that amount.

In the first photo we have a variety of the rare early models of Jeep left to right . . . . . 

#1 Ford GP ( Four Wheel Steer Model )

#2 Ford GP standard model

#3 Willys MA

#4 Bantam BRC

We are all individualistic Jeep owners but once again one of my particular dis-likes is large flags on Jeeps, please go on ahead and charge into the valley of Death join the six hundred,  Charge for the guns!’ Into the valley of Death Rode the six hundred. . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.fullsizeoutput_e71a.jpeg.977e1e926ed0e9305d3f2237ca6a0c15.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71c.jpeg.eba159583f7ceda55db6cb75938e816b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71b.jpeg.a49622893ecd9d829f70083d7c5fa530.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71d.jpeg.2911a53d75ba5d6f6c0d1492d7f5c181.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71e.jpeg.23dc54ba28bb8c027fe9b28bfc84c5d5.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
7 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hey Ken, this one should look familiar...

GPW-KenLewis-03Jun17 (4).JPG

Hi Johan,

yes,  thanks for highlighting this one,  the sloppy way that the ' F ' has been stamped into the band and not squared to the edges of the band, anyone would have thought there was a war on . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
4 hours ago, mikie said:

Fascinating info on jeeps. Wonderful details for me to learn about jeeps. 

But it's probably a good thing that you folks aren't involved in restoring battleships. We'd need a bigger forum. 

Mikie

hey Mikie

paraphrasing a quote in a film ' Hey gringo, we don't need no stinking battleships ', he's right,  lets get an aircraft carrier . . . . . . . . 

a free ' like ' added to anyone who posts the name of the film that the original quote comes from.  

General Apathy
13 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

From "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre",  1948, starring Humphrey Bogart.

Hi Pararafta,

Thanks,  there is someone out there reading this 🕺, I added the promised like to your correct answer . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 22  2021.

2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

From "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre",  1948, starring Humphrey Bogart.

Good movie. Haven't seen it in a loooooong time, though. 

Johan Willaert
10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

In the first photo we have a variety of the rare early models of Jeep left to right . . . . . 

#3 Willys MA

#4 Bantam BRC

fullsizeoutput_e71a.jpeg.977e1e926ed0e9305d3f2237ca6a0c15.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e71d.jpeg.2911a53d75ba5d6f6c0d1492d7f5c181.jpeg

That 4 Wheel Steer GP was imported in Belgium back in the early 2000s by Luc C, who restored it and sold it through milweb just a few years ago...

And nice to see Douglas and John again... They do get around in their Jeeps...

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb

Thanks also for showing your slat-grille model and prompting Johan to post blackout driving lamp varieties . . . . . .

Well I did warn it's a whole topic on itself 😆 I got this rare bracket from a friend, and when I was looking how to fit it exactly I discovered some welded shut holes that matched exactly, so I drilled them out and fitted the bracket. I measured the location of the holes for the JeepDraw website so others can use it as a reference when fitting theirs. This was done 'in the field', so not an exact science. The holes pattern is different from a standard 'horseshoe' bracket though.

This is the original list to which vehicles this kit was to be fitted, although I don't have the rest such as the fitment instructions or a pic of the original wiring that would come with the kit, so I made my own.

1616275139_BODLlist.jpg.8114c3f046916b1d447ea12d35794668.jpg

Johan Willaert
21 minutes ago, earlymb said:

This is the original list to which vehicles this kit was to be fitted, although I don't have the rest such as the fitment instructions or a pic of the original wiring that would come with the kit, so I made my own.

1616275139_BODLlist.jpg.8114c3f046916b1d447ea12d35794668.jpg

That list is not complete... Here's an example of an August 1942 Ford GPW with U.S.A. 20149969 hood number retrofitted with the tombstone bracket and BO Light.

GPW-42-TurkeyFarm-CampLee (2).jpg

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the photo's you emailed of the four wheel steer jeep found in France on one of the MVCG commemoration trips, you asked if that was me on the far right of one photo with long hair,  no it's not and this is not the four wheel steer that myself and friends found.  The one we found was sat rotting in a large mud pond in the middle of a barren muddy hog field along with two other rusted standard MB / GPW's, the hogs had used for scratching their bodies against. 

Talking of long hair though, around the same period the third photo is me, and that's my first dog at the bottom of the hill, I inherited Blue from a Jeeping friend when I bought his house, the friend wanted the dog to remain in the house he was born into and continue riding around in Jeeps, which he did a lot. 

Ken Photos from Duncan Millman…
Is that you with long hair, o.d. shirt and jeans?

fullsizeoutput_e750.jpeg.e16e22c2007595cecad25fc192d293a6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e751.jpeg.8cf19a126bd768fefc4e09f2b56c4d2c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e74f.jpeg.d9cf58f82f6555fdecd63f6ee60d51b2.jpeg

General Apathy

That 4 Wheel Steer GP was imported in Belgium back in the early 2000s by Luc C, who restored it and sold it through milweb just a few years ago...

And nice to see Douglas and John again... They do get around in their Jeeps...

Hi Johan

I believe the four early Jeeps in that photograph are all owned by the same owner, I think he also has other models as well, he's a friend of Douglas and John.

Johan Willaert
32 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I believe the four early Jeeps in that photograph are all owned by the same owner, I think he also has other models as well, he's a friend of Douglas and John.

I think that would be Fred Smith who also owns a MT Tug, the surviving Willys HalfTrack, the N°1 Jeep etc...
All of these have been displayed in Beltring over the years...

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

I think that would be Fred Smith who also owns a MT Tug, the surviving Willys HalfTrack, the N°1 Jeep etc...

Hi Johan,

No it's not Fred Smith's collection it's a younger guy who's collection is now rivalling Freds . . . . . . . . . . . . I won't add his name without permission.

35 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

No it's not Fred Smith's collection it's a younger guy who's collection is now rivalling Freds . . . . . . . . . . . . I won't add his name without permission.

Ken and Johan,

I just love the jeep trivia knowledge of you two. I never knew all of the small differences such as the deflector and dimples for interchangeable hoods. I just love all of the pictures showing the differences. 

And Ken, I noticed the "F" on the blackout light! 😁

...Kat

Johan Willaert
14 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken and Johan,

I just love the jeep trivia knowledge of you two. I never knew all of the small differences such as the deflector and dimples for interchangeable hoods. I just love all of the pictures showing the differences. 

Thx Kat.... Some say we are Jeep Nerds.... :-)

18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Now for something g different but still Jeep related  . . . . . . 

Today at the Brooklands racing circuit / museum they held a meeting commemorating the eightieth anniversary of the Jeep concept. They attempted gathering a minimum of eighty Jeep for the eightieth anniversary, it appears that they exceeded that amount.

#3 Willys MA

#4 Bantam BRC

We are all individualistic Jeep owners but once again one of my particular dis-likes is large flags on Jeeps, please go on ahead and charge into the valley of Death join the six hundred,  Charge for the guns!’ Into the valley of Death Rode the six hundred. . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.fullsizeoutput_e71a.jpeg.977e1e926ed0e9305d3f2237ca6a0c15.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71c.jpeg.eba159583f7ceda55db6cb75938e816b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71b.jpeg.a49622893ecd9d829f70083d7c5fa530.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71d.jpeg.2911a53d75ba5d6f6c0d1492d7f5c181.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e71e.jpeg.23dc54ba28bb8c027fe9b28bfc84c5d5.jpeg

Wow!  I'm having a jeep overdose just looking at the pictures!  "OD"ing on OD again.

Mikie

General Apathy
4 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Both of you are lovable jeep nerds! 

..Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks, it's ok being a Jeep nerd but the pay's not that good, in fact there is no pay. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh: