Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1
 Share

Recommended Posts

cutiger83
On 10/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Gijoe,

 

welcome to the thread, you must have read some way back to find mention of beach finds.

 

I no longer really search the beaches for washed up items, about ten years ago someone on the forum made a big fuss and complained to the forum owners that he didn't agree with posts showing recovered items from the beach.  So I am more into farm find relic gifts now, here's one I received last week a ' clover-leaf ' end cap for munitions. Looking at the size of it I am guesstimating it to be for three 105mm shell tubes, need to keep an eye out for a 105 mm tube and compare sizes. 

 

In the wartime photo there are two different sizes of ' clover-leaf ' caps to be seen on the left and right, my one looks closer to the size of the ones on the left.

 

.fullsizeoutput_dccf.jpeg.d7c6fa477de663d91dff0ca21325365c.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dcc3.jpeg.f838f3d01072858b94ece5805086e1b5.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 23  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Ken,

 

This is very interesting! Not many people would have a clue this was military related. Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

 

P.S.  I can't believe someone would complain about your findings. Probably just jealous. 

...Kat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Ron,

 

well I had to laugh,  I baited the trap expecting Mikie to come in with some names and you beat him to it  . . . . . . . . Great names and even Mikie has added a ' Like. ' to them. 

 

Also thanks Ron for the comment on the jerrycan,  I forgot to mention its the first time I have ever seen this on the date the number 2 in 1942 is out of line with the 194 . . . . . . . . a factory mistake during pressing. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 24  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

A little distracted the past week. Generally speaking, its good to give others a first shot once in a while.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

 

This is very interesting! Not many people would have a clue this was military related. Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

 

P.S.  I can't believe someone would complain about your findings. Probably just jealous. 

...Kat

Nowdays, there's always somebody complaining about everything.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
12 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

 

This is very interesting! Not many people would have a clue this was military related. Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

 

P.S.  I can't believe someone would complain about your findings. Probably just jealous. 

...Kat

.

Hi Kat,

 

hopefully Kat we can all still learn something new each day, here's today's lesson for both myself and maybe other forum members.

 

Another long-term Jeeping friend in the UK emailed me these images of two maps he was given some years ago when they moved house,

they record all the V-1 & V-2 attacks on Antwerp as the allies opened it up for landing troops and supplies between October 1944 and March 1945.

 

Attached my friends comment on the maps. . . . . . . . .

 

" I was given them by the chap we bought our house off back in the day. His dad had been in Antwerp at the end of the war with the Royal Engineers on clearance and brought them home.... sadly the dad had passed before we bought the house so no chance to meet him and find out more. I have messaged the Bunker Museum in Antwerp about them so hopefully they might end up there. coincidently they are currently running an exhibition about the first V weapons to fall on Antwerp, shame I didn't re-find them sooner. "

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0d.jpeg.641f5b380d1ce3c8bdb5181fecde488b.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0e.jpeg.7e1cd41e4198e1270aacb8e35c899497.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd10.jpeg.824d3aadb2e1aaaa69ef6b2c7173cf61.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd11.jpeg.6c86bfe78a0bbd7d0b9ef00920de5dd4.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 25  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Once had a boss who was a Major Annoyance. 

.

Hi Mikie.

 

That's a good one to go along with Ron's two names, anyone with anymore . . . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 25  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Kat,

 

hopefully Kat we can all still learn something new each day, here's today's lesson for both myself and maybe other forum members.

 

Another long-term Jeeping friend in the UK emailed me these images of two maps he was given some years ago when they moved house,

they record all the V-1 & V-2 attacks on Antwerp as the allies opened it up for landing troops and supplies between October 1944 and March 1945.

 

Attached my friends comment on the maps. . . . . . . . .

 

" I was given them by the chap we bought our house off back in the day. His dad had been in Antwerp at the end of the war with the Royal Engineers on clearance and brought them home.... sadly the dad had passed before we bought the house so no chance to meet him and find out more. I have messaged the Bunker Museum in Antwerp about them so hopefully they might end up there. coincidently they are currently running an exhibition about the first V weapons to fall on Antwerp, shame I didn't re-find them sooner. "

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0d.jpeg.641f5b380d1ce3c8bdb5181fecde488b.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0e.jpeg.7e1cd41e4198e1270aacb8e35c899497.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd10.jpeg.824d3aadb2e1aaaa69ef6b2c7173cf61.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd11.jpeg.6c86bfe78a0bbd7d0b9ef00920de5dd4.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 25  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

"During a period of of about nine months, night and day, seven days a week, some missile, V1 or V2, struck the target area of Antwerp about every twenty minutes". Seeing a statistic of how many dropped on Antwerp is one thing, but seeing these maps seriously brings it on home.  

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cutiger83
12 minutes ago, mikie said:

"During a period of of about nine months, night and day, seven days a week, some missile, V1 or V2, struck the target area of Antwerp about every twenty minutes". Seeing a statistic of how many dropped on Antwerp is one thing, but seeing these maps seriously brings it on home.  

Mikie

Mikie,

 

You are exactly right! This map is astounding showing the bombing. Amazing anything was still standing!

 

..Kat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Ron,

 

well I had to laugh,  I baited the trap expecting Mikie to come in with some names and you beat him to it  . . . . . . . . Great names and even Mikie has added a ' Like. ' to them. 

 

Also thanks Ron for the comment on the jerrycan,  I forgot to mention its the first time I have ever seen this on the date the number 2 in 1942 is out of line with the 194 . . . . . . . . a factory mistake during pressing. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 24  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

Thats great you can still find a treasure and oddity to add to the shoe box. Keep up the fantastic work

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
14 hours ago, doyler said:

 

 

Thats great you can still find a treasure and oddity to add to the shoe box. Keep up the fantastic work

 

.

report and photos from UK Jeeping friend Len . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Good morning Ken

 

Caught up with some old friends on Sunday at Malvern show - John W & Ian T.

 

These caught my eye,  NOS Ford marked inlet valves that followed me home.

( wondering if Len specifically bought these and will be posting to me for Christmas !!!!!! )

 

I have had this in it's box for nearly thirty years now, & never really looked at it. Yesterday I got to unbox it, only to discover a few bits missing including the vital instructions, a search on line has come up with nothing ! Now I need to try & see how it all fits together before packing it away again ! 

 

Thanks for the emails, take care. Len

 

 :  Note in the last photo the salvaged piece of plywood used as the floor in this model

 

1440295306_FordScript.JPG.e6bc885919f6e228c29374967069413c.JPG

 

.332316103_Oct252021.JPG.54d8b69bbd6fc043a675159ebe98a26c.JPG

 

P1070628.JPG.b09859516bc9be136cacbb77cdf8b017.JPG

 

P1070631.JPG.ef24065dfcc86de2fd49faa2f2c5926a.JPG

 

P1070632.JPG.9703581037c8ef2de87883bc8dda13db.JPG

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 26  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Good morning Ken

 

 

I have had this in it's box for nearly thirty years now, & never really looked at it. Yesterday I got to unbox it, only to discover a few bits missing including the vital instructions, a search on line has come up with nothing ! 

 

Thanks for the emails, take care. Len

 

 

332316103_Oct252021.JPG.54d8b69bbd6fc043a675159ebe98a26c.JPG

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 26  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

.

Hi Len,

 

perhaps I can help you with the instructions for a boxed Jeep. . . . . . . .  

 

Damn I forgot these are for a full size one !!!!!!!

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd69.jpeg.1981683600fab29f013280a4121ef8fd.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd6c.jpeg.3e959a7f4e5e05df6020b7049ed80a49.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 26  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
On 10/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, mikie said:

A jeep in a box!  

.

Hi Mikie, boys and girls . . . . . . .

 

well I just received this image of another Jeep undergoing rebuild, not in a box but in the garage of my friend that shared the V-1 & V-2 maps of Antwerp with us.  Just being made ready for a test run around the farm before the body is put back on and fully assembled.  

 

Hopefully we shall be doing the same over here this Sunday to the Jeep that I have been throwing spare days at for a local friend.  Fantastic that two more are being saved for use and posterity.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd95.jpeg.2cd29cb4246dc95f08f560cd766588fc.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 27  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Another Antwerp connection on the forum . . . . . . . . 

 

Browsing through posts by other members I spotted another mention of the bombing of Antwerp by V-1 & V-2 rockets by ' john4022 ', his thread and collection can be viewed here, below I have attached his frame regarding the defences of Antwerp.

 

.11.jpg.6a0825458df3518a4fb17b7eb1def681.jpg.aeda961ff733efc653132f59bbf9fac4.jpg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 27  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cutiger83
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie, boys and girls . . . . . . .

 

well I just received this image of another Jeep undergoing rebuild, not in a box but in the garage of my friend that shared the V-1 & V-2 maps of Antwerp with us.  Just being made ready for a test run around the farm before the body is put back on and fully assembled.  

 

Hopefully we shall be doing the same over here this Sunday to the Jeep that I have been throwing spare days at for a local friend.  Fantastic that two more are being saved for use and posterity.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd95.jpeg.2cd29cb4246dc95f08f560cd766588fc.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 27  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Ken,

 

This is awesome! All of these jeeps being saved is so cool!

 

...Kat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Today's Normandy finds . . . . . . . .

 

A local friend was sorting out and cutting back undergrowth in his fields yesterday and recovered these steel bars with bullet strikes, when I looked today I picked up these German rounds dated 1934.

 

.IMG_0543.jpg.3e8d8ba09b74c9a741d1890823df82be.jpg

 

.IMG_0544.jpg.0d66bfc74edfdb97a34ba8f286017c66.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_ddb4.jpeg.63cf4cf3167e29e935eca9aa94f1f514.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 28  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Today's Normandy finds . . . . . . . .

 

A local friend was sorting out and cutting back undergrowth in his fields yesterday and recovered these steel bars with bullet strikes, when I looked today I picked up these German rounds dated 1934.

 

.IMG_0543.jpg.3e8d8ba09b74c9a741d1890823df82be.jpg

 

.IMG_0544.jpg.0d66bfc74edfdb97a34ba8f286017c66.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_ddb4.jpeg.63cf4cf3167e29e935eca9aa94f1f514.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 28  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Wow! It would be interesting to know the exact location they were installed, and figure out where the fire that hit the bars came from. Then see if there are US  casings laying around in that direction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checking in from lovely San Diego California. Just a quick trip for our niece's wedding. Flight was good, but the car rental company was totally fudged up. And the hotel is idiotic. Anyone local see storm clouds, that was just me cursing up a storm. Something I rarely do, but justified in this instance. Why do the most simple things always turn into a 3-ring circus? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simon Lerenfort
On 10/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Everyone,

 

As I said earlier I no longer spend time walking the beach, todays find was walking a street flea market, I couldn't resist, I bought ANOTHER German jerrycan, can't seem to walk past them, just another 38 million of them to find . . . . . . . . . Last week a lottery winner in France won 220 million, that would have helped me in the search for the 38 million Jerrycans . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Still need to research the manufacturer and the can yet, but here it is, obviously from the dust and rust spots it's just been sat on some shelf in some garage somewhere.  Always good to have a small flashlight with you when inspecting jerrycans, you can see the condition inside the can and also look for rusted pin-holes in the bottoms.   German & British cans tend to rust into holes in the bottom as the base is always in-touch with or scraped along the ground. The style of American ' Blitz ' cans is better in this respect with a solid surrounding metal rim and a recessed bottom which doesn't make contact with the ground. 

 

.fullsizeoutput_dcec.jpeg.2e823e937b917a14724ed171f70acdf8.jpeg

 

fullsizeoutput_dcf3.jpeg.40e5203ce3581d535c5601a026ab3cd9.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 24  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Not sure the maker LGA has been identified yet, a rare one to find. Looks straight too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buckshot329
On 10/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Kat,

 

hopefully Kat we can all still learn something new each day, here's today's lesson for both myself and maybe other forum members.

 

Another long-term Jeeping friend in the UK emailed me these images of two maps he was given some years ago when they moved house,

they record all the V-1 & V-2 attacks on Antwerp as the allies opened it up for landing troops and supplies between October 1944 and March 1945.

 

Attached my friends comment on the maps. . . . . . . . .

 

" I was given them by the chap we bought our house off back in the day. His dad had been in Antwerp at the end of the war with the Royal Engineers on clearance and brought them home.... sadly the dad had passed before we bought the house so no chance to meet him and find out more. I have messaged the Bunker Museum in Antwerp about them so hopefully they might end up there. coincidently they are currently running an exhibition about the first V weapons to fall on Antwerp, shame I didn't re-find them sooner. "

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0d.jpeg.641f5b380d1ce3c8bdb5181fecde488b.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd0e.jpeg.7e1cd41e4198e1270aacb8e35c899497.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd10.jpeg.824d3aadb2e1aaaa69ef6b2c7173cf61.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_dd11.jpeg.6c86bfe78a0bbd7d0b9ef00920de5dd4.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 25  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

These maps are killer! Really brings home the extent of the German V Bomb campaign against the city of Antwerp. And Knowing that Operation Antwerp X stopped over 90% of V1s from reaching the 'Vital Area' (the port facilities), it's hard to imagine what would have happened if those guys hadn't been there... Having been born and raised on the Antwerp X 'battlefield' (the nearest AAA Gun emplacement was approx 1/4 mile from my house) it is a big part of my WW2 interest and research. 

 

The huge success of Antwerp X also has a downside as very few V1s exploded in the air. Every town surrounding Antwerp has their own share of V-bomb tragedy and for almost 5 months they shared a fear of the 'flying bomb' sometimes wishing it would keep buzzing just a little bit longer because that meant it held no danger to them. It's estimated over 8000 people were killed because of the V-bomb offensive.

 

The people at the Bunker museum are great! Hope the maps find a good home, they highlight a critical yet often overlooked part of Belgium's WW2 history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Catching up after couple of crazy weeks. I have this small unit bklt  titled Antwerp X tucked away somewhere

ANTWERP X722.jpg

ANTWERP X DET723.jpg

ANTWERP X DET2 724.jpg

ANTWERP X DET3  725.jpg

ANTWERP X DET4  726.jpg

ANTWERP X DET5   727.jpg

ANTWERP X DET6   728.jpg

ANTWERP X DET7    729.jpg

ANTWERP X DET8     730.jpg

ANTWERP X DET9     731.jpg

ANTWERP X DET10      732.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Escht said:

Catching up after couple of crazy weeks. I have this small unit bklt  titled Antwerp X tucked away somewhere

ANTWERP X722.jpg

ANTWERP X DET723.jpg

ANTWERP X DET2 724.jpg

ANTWERP X DET3  725.jpg

ANTWERP X DET4  726.jpg

ANTWERP X DET5   727.jpg

ANTWERP X DET6   728.jpg

ANTWERP X DET7    729.jpg

ANTWERP X DET8     730.jpg

ANTWERP X DET9     731.jpg

ANTWERP X DET10      732.jpg

Couple of crazy weeks? Definitely can relate to that. Lots of interesting information about Antwerp X . Mostly all new to me. Got some studying to do. Thanks!

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Buckshot329 said:

These maps are killer! Really brings home the extent of the German V Bomb campaign against the city of Antwerp. And Knowing that Operation Antwerp X stopped over 90% of V1s from reaching the 'Vital Area' (the port facilities), it's hard to imagine what would have happened if those guys hadn't been there... Having been born and raised on the Antwerp X 'battlefield' (the nearest AAA Gun emplacement was approx 1/4 mile from my house) it is a big part of my WW2 interest and research. 

 

The huge success of Antwerp X also has a downside as very few V1s exploded in the air. Every town surrounding Antwerp has their own share of V-bomb tragedy and for almost 5 months they shared a fear of the 'flying bomb' sometimes wishing it would keep buzzing just a little bit longer because that meant it held no danger to them. It's estimated over 8000 people were killed because of the V-bomb offensive.

 

The people at the Bunker museum are great! Hope the maps find a good home, they highlight a critical yet often overlooked part of Belgium's WW2 history.

.

Hi Buckshot,

 

Welcome to the thread and to the developing story of the fight for Antwerp, thanks for the extra detail that you have added to the information we are sharing on Antwerp.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 29  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
56 minutes ago, Escht said:

Catching up after couple of crazy weeks. I have this small unit bklt  titled Antwerp X tucked away somewhere

ANTWERP X722.jpg

ANTWERP X DET723.jpg

ANTWERP X DET2 724.jpg

ANTWERP X DET3  725.jpg

ANTWERP X DET4  726.jpg

ANTWERP X DET5   727.jpg

ANTWERP X DET6   728.jpg

ANTWERP X DET7    729.jpg

ANTWERP X DET8     730.jpg

ANTWERP X DET9     731.jpg

ANTWERP X DET10      732.jpg

.

Hi Kevin.

 

Well thanks very much for adding such interesting detail and information from the booklet that you have on Antwerp, I for one didnt know a third of the detail that we have shared about Antwerp.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 29  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
11 hours ago, mikie said:

Checking in from lovely San Diego California. Just a quick trip for our niece's wedding. Flight was good, but the car rental company was totally fudged up. And the hotel is idiotic. Anyone local see storm clouds, that was just me cursing up a storm. Something I rarely do, but justified in this instance. Why do the most simple things always turn into a 3-ring circus? 

.

Hi Mikie.

 

It has ever been thus,  any ten minute, sixty minute, five hour job generally expands into a job ten times the estimate that you gave yourself for completing. A phrase that's well known to remember ' leave well alone '  . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 29  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
5 hours ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

Not sure the maker LGA has been identified yet, a rare one to find. Looks straight too.

.

Hello Simon,

 

Thanks for your thought son the Jerrycan, I have been unable to find anything on line so far about the manufacturer, it's pretty straight and appears to be leakproof. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 29  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...