Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
7 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Just proves there are still some nice items out there.... Going to the Ciney show at the end of the month...
Maybe I'll get lucky too... ;-)

Here's another shot from yesterday's tour... Our village in the background...

06-Rit-GPW56685-17Okt21 (5).jpg

Hi Johan,  great shot, great credit to you that it's preserved for future posterity, sadly it may live far beyond the time when there's any petrol allowed to be sold . . . . . . . . . .  What's the date and make on the ' Jerrycan '  !!!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 18  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

Maybe that's the secret to finding good deals on jeep stuff.  Car shows that don't specialize in military? 

Hi Mikie.

There were some dealers that are familiar with military vehicle stuff,  here's a photo taken at one stand advertising spare parts for the German 30ton FAMO half-track, a very rare vehicle. Apologies for the shadow on the photo it was the metal frame at the rear that it was attached to. 

Also apologies I completely forgot to grab any images of the show, there was a Lambretta LD model in lovely condition that was priced at 3,200 euros, didn't have a trailer with us !!!!!

.fullsizeoutput_da5f.jpeg.336196f5adf4b30e530c10667763cebd.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

a most beautiful area we passed through to the auto-jumble . . . . . . 

Sunday morning we drove through an historical estate dedicated to the horse on the way to the auto-jumble, it was stunning and almost like an entire village of its own, a return visit has to be made.  Check out the photos on the link . 

https://www.ornetourisme.com/visites-loisirs/haras-national-du-pin/

.fullsizeoutput_da62.jpeg.0ba25a5b158bee618a17f469ea8a3f9e.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Sunday morning we drove through an historical estate dedicated to the horse on the way to the auto-jumble, it was stunning and almost like an entire village of its own, a return visit has to be made.  Check out the photos on the link . 

Interesting.  And another case of military logistics that I hadn't really thought much about.  In the age of horse power, where did all the horses come from? 

Mikie 

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

That main building made a bell ring in the back of my head.  The echos were pretty annoying until I figured out what it reminded me of.  When I looked into it, it really doesn't look a lot like the building at Old Fort Niagara, but there are similarities.  They were both built by the French in roughly the same time period. So maybe some common design elements?   I was a teenager the last time I visited the fort.  It's about 100 miles from where I grew up. Here is a link if you'd like to read about it.

https://www.oldfortniagara.org/history

image.png

General Apathy
On 10/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, mikie said:

That main building made a bell ring in the back of my head.  The echos were pretty annoying until I figured out what it reminded me of.  When I looked into it, it really doesn't look a lot like the building at Old Fort Niagara, but there are similarities.  They were both built by the French in roughly the same time period. So maybe some common design elements?   I was a teenager the last time I visited the fort.  It's about 100 miles from where I grew up. Here is a link if you'd like to read about it.

https://www.oldfortniagara.org/history

image.png

Hi Mikie,

Well you have the better of me here I have never heard of ' old-fort-Niagra ', thanks for the history lesson . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 20  2021.

General Apathy

very unusual sighting . . . . . . 

A photo taken during the American landings in Normandy in which I spotted that this US Infantryman was carrying a British made anti-tank Sticky-Bomb in it's protective clam shell covering, the handle passing through the straps of his pack.

fullsizeoutput_dbb3.jpeg.c79f1ac630f60f8f2646745251566195.jpeg

The words no infantryman would ever want to hear would be, “Private, we’re in a hell-of-a-fix, we need you to take that sticky bomb and…(fill in the blank).”

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Well you have the better of me here I have never heard of ' old-fort-Niagra ', thanks for the history lesson . . . . . . . . . 

The fort played quite a roll in my old local military history. During the Revolutionary War, it was the headquarters and main staging area for the British Loyalists and their ally Natives frequent attacks on American settlements all along the Mohawk Valley. These attacks were brutal and bloody and occurred all through the whole war. There were one of two attempts to capture it but they failed. My old home in Utica, New York is near the western end of the valley, the site of Old Fort Schuyler. If I was still there, I could do quite a lot more military related Then & Nows than I can do here. 

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

very unusual sighting . . . . . . 

A photo taken during the American landings in Normandy in which I spotted that this US Infantryman was carrying a British made anti-tank Sticky-Bomb in it's protective clam shell covering, the handle passing through the straps of his pack.

fullsizeoutput_dbb3.jpeg.c79f1ac630f60f8f2646745251566195.jpeg

I just did some research on stick bombs.  Wikipedia mentions that they were issued to Allied troops, presumably including Americans,  at Anzio.  It mentions also being issued to the FSSF there. No mention of use in Normandy. But from that picture, at least one of them was.

Mikie

General Apathy

another one slipped off the cracker. . . . . . .  ( the gas tank is running dry. )  

Around the same time about a month ago when we lost Ian Phillips ( Sabrejet ), another long-term Jeeping friend Mark Goddard passed away.

In the latest 'Windscreen' edition of the Military Vehicle trust ( MVT ) an obituary appeared for Mark ( 67 ) written by another Jeeping friend Steve Gascoigne.  Steve added a photograph including Mark, it was taken at an olde English Inn, the Fox Inn Northamptonshire, in the 1980's, in the photo is L-R Steve Gascoigne, Mark Goddard, John Watt, Nick Perry, all Jeeping friends.

Along with three of my Jeeping / collecting friends we did a comparison shot at the Fox Inn in 1979.

Following letter sent to the Windscreen editor. 

.............................................................................................

Good Afternoon Ian, ( editor )

Just received my latest edition of the Windscreen, following on the report from Steve Gascoigne regarding the 

Fox Inn at Catworth, Northamptonshire myself and friends did a similar Then and Now comparison in 1979.

The then landlord and his wife made us most welcome and allowed us to set up a table outside, and use items that

could be seen in the wartime image. The ash tray appeared identical in both images, square with white writing on 

the sides, a vase of flowers, a circular carrying tray, and and empty bottles, we failed to take deck-chairs with us,

not knowing if we would be allowed to make comparison shots.  

The Landlady even went and changed her dress to a dark one as in the original photo, and the landlord stood in for 

the original landlord. Notice the white door bell to the side of the landlady’s head, that was still in place but had 

been painted over. 

Sadly the Fox Inn has now closed and converted to a private house, we were lucky to have made our shot in 1979.

.fullsizeoutput_dc40.jpeg.46fb35a1bc97624515ead2ca8316a6c9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dc12.jpeg.d71f11f7383f4b4eb3c2a5fd8109e313.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dc2a.jpeg.70fde8f36541dedd23b2dfd717bcc1fb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 21  2021.

Johan Willaert
On 10/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, General Apathy said:

great credit to you that it's preserved for future posterity, sadly it may live far beyond the time when there's any petrol allowed to be sold . . . . . . . . . .  What's the date and make on the ' Jerrycan '  !!!

When the day comes of finding no more petrol, I'll just put it in the shed with a chair next to it.... ;-)

The JC is a 1943 British BMB made example, restored....

02-Rit-GPW56685-11Jul21 (7).JPG

8 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

When the day comes of finding no more petrol, I'll just put it in the shed with a chair next to it.... ;-)

You could rebuild them as batteries and recharge cars with them.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:52 AM, General Apathy said:

another one slipped off the cracker. . . . . . .  ( the gas tank is running dry. )  

Around the same time about a month ago when we lost Ian Phillips ( Sabrejet ), another long-term Jeeping friend Mark Goddard passed away.

In the latest 'Windscreen' edition of the Military Vehicle trust ( MVT ) an obituary appeared for Mark ( 67 ) written by another Jeeping friend Steve Gascoigne.  Steve added a photograph including Mark, it was taken at an olde English Inn, the Fox Inn Northamptonshire, in the 1980's, in the photo is L-R Steve Gascoigne, Mark Goddard, John Watt, Nick Perry, all Jeeping friends.

Along with three of my Jeeping / collecting friends we did a comparison shot at the Fox Inn in 1979.

Following letter sent to the Windscreen editor. 

.............................................................................................

Good Afternoon Ian, ( editor )

Just received my latest edition of the Windscreen, following on the report from Steve Gascoigne regarding the 

Fox Inn at Catworth, Northamptonshire myself and friends did a similar Then and Now comparison in 1979.

The then landlord and his wife made us most welcome and allowed us to set up a table outside, and use items that

could be seen in the wartime image. The ash tray appeared identical in both images, square with white writing on 

the sides, a vase of flowers, a circular carrying tray, and and empty bottles, we failed to take deck-chairs with us,

not knowing if we would be allowed to make comparison shots.  

The Landlady even went and changed her dress to a dark one as in the original photo, and the landlord stood in for 

the original landlord. Notice the white door bell to the side of the landlady’s head, that was still in place but had 

been painted over. 

Sadly the Fox Inn has now closed and converted to a private house, we were lucky to have made our shot in 1979.

.fullsizeoutput_dc40.jpeg.46fb35a1bc97624515ead2ca8316a6c9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dc12.jpeg.d71f11f7383f4b4eb3c2a5fd8109e313.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dc2a.jpeg.70fde8f36541dedd23b2dfd717bcc1fb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 21  2021.

I've said it before and will say it again, your recreation of the original photo is just about perfect and is one of my fave T&Ns due to the personal touch you all gave it.

Mikie

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

I've said it before and will say it again, your recreation of the original photo is just about perfect and is one of my fave T&Ns due to the personal touch you all gave it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

many thanks being collectors of original pieces we always enjoyed re-creating scenes as close as we could. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 23  2021.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Gijoe1987 said:

@General Apathy Have you found anything walking the beaches lately?

Hi Gijoe,

welcome to the thread, you must have read some way back to find mention of beach finds.

I no longer really search the beaches for washed up items, about ten years ago someone on the forum made a big fuss and complained to the forum owners that he didn't agree with posts showing recovered items from the beach.  So I am more into farm find relic gifts now, here's one I received last week a ' clover-leaf ' end cap for munitions. Looking at the size of it I am guesstimating it to be for three 105mm shell tubes, need to keep an eye out for a 105 mm tube and compare sizes. 

In the wartime photo there are two different sizes of ' clover-leaf ' caps to be seen on the left and right, my one looks closer to the size of the ones on the left.

.fullsizeoutput_dccf.jpeg.d7c6fa477de663d91dff0ca21325365c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dcc3.jpeg.f838f3d01072858b94ece5805086e1b5.jpeg

6 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Gijoe,

welcome to the thread, you must have read some way back to find mention of beach finds.

I no longer really search the beaches for washed up items, about ten years ago someone on the forum made a big fuss and complained to the forum owners that he didn't agree with posts showing recovered items from the beach.  So I am more into farm find relic gifts now, here's one I received last week a ' clover-leaf ' end cap for munitions. Looking at the size of it I am guesstimating it to be for three 105mm shell tubes, need to keep an eye out for a 105 mm tube and compare sizes. 

In the wartime photo there are two different sizes of ' clover-leaf ' caps to be seen on the left and right, my one looks closer to the size of the ones on the left.

.fullsizeoutput_dccf.jpeg.d7c6fa477de663d91dff0ca21325365c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_dcc3.jpeg.f838f3d01072858b94ece5805086e1b5.jpeg

Oh I’ve been following it for years but like to go back every now and then. I was fortunate enough to vacation in Paris 2 years ago and while there I rented a car and dragged my wife to Normandy for the day. One of the best experiences of my life! It’s a shame people would complain about that especially since your sharing and preserving history that’s 99% of the people on this forum will never see with their own eyes. It amazes me that there are still things to be be found like the clover leaf you just shared. I appreciate all your posts thank you!

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Gijoe1987 said:

Oh I’ve been following it for years but like to go back every now and then. I was fortunate enough to vacation in Paris 2 years ago and while there I rented a car and dragged my wife to Normandy for the day. One of the best experiences of my life! It’s a shame people would complain about that especially since your sharing and preserving history that’s 99% of the people on this forum will never see with their own eyes. It amazes me that there are still things to be be found like the clover leaf you just shared. I appreciate all your posts thank you!

Hi Gijoe, 

Thanks for the kind comments,  pleased that you have possibly had some enjoyment from reading the thread, and thanks Mikie for the Like

you added on Gijoes comment. 

I was just having a little smile at your forum name Gi-Joe, about twenty years ago the government department that handles UK car number plates ( USA tag plate ) ( or in France Immatriculation plates ) sorry drifting there.  Back to the UK government department for number plates they had an auction and sold off particularly nice number plates that had never been issued, the star of this particular auction was the registration ' G1 JOE '.  

Sadly it ended up on a Land-Rover and not a Jeep, well it got me to thinking I sold militaria to collectors and films so maybe I should have a memorable plate, I asked for ' G1 QMC ', not allowed to have the letter Q.  So I tried for ' G1 KIT ' not allowed the letter I as it could be interpreted as the number one ( 1 ).  I didn't think that ' G1 KEN ' sounded anywhere near as good as ' G1 Joe ', forget that. As I traded with the name ' Norman D. Landing ' I asked for and got it ' G1 NDL ', it was good as a business advert when driving around or attending shows or film-work, and it was on an American truck.  I no longer have that number as I couldn't use it being based in France, private style number plates are not allowed here presently, also I was unable to get the truck registered here in France, unbelievably it didn't meet required standards. !!!!!!!!!!!! 

Loved that truck 

Speaking of forum names my handle is ' General Apathy ' and here's a name that I don't believe has been used so far on the forum ' Major Catastrophe ' if someone would like to make use of it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no charge.

.fullsizeoutput_dcd1.jpeg.de9bb96a6733ec7f3d0790bfbfa1ffc5.jpeg

General Apathy
On 10/23/2021 at 2:13 AM, Gijoe1987 said:

@General Apathy Have you found anything walking the beaches lately?

Hi Everyone,

As I said earlier I no longer spend time walking the beach, todays find was walking a street flea market, I couldn't resist, I bought ANOTHER German jerrycan, can't seem to walk past them, just another 38 million of them to find . . . . . . . . . Last week a lottery winner in France won 220 million, that would have helped me in the search for the 38 million Jerrycans . . . . . . . . . . . 

Still need to research the manufacturer and the can yet, but here it is, obviously from the dust and rust spots it's just been sat on some shelf in some garage somewhere.  Always good to have a small flashlight with you when inspecting jerrycans, you can see the condition inside the can and also look for rusted pin-holes in the bottoms.   German & British cans tend to rust into holes in the bottom as the base is always in-touch with or scraped along the ground. The style of American ' Blitz ' cans is better in this respect with a solid surrounding metal rim and a recessed bottom which doesn't make contact with the ground. 

.fullsizeoutput_dcec.jpeg.2e823e937b917a14724ed171f70acdf8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dcf3.jpeg.40e5203ce3581d535c5601a026ab3cd9.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 24  2021.

Nice find Ken..my new name  for you is General Can Man ☺️

US cans here are often speckled with pin holes. Best to open and look at them in bright light "bottoms up" as they say to see if the can has holes.

23 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Gijoe, 

Thanks for the kind comments,  pleased that you have possibly had some enjoyment from reading the thread, and thanks Mikie for the Like

you added on Gijoes comment. 

I was just having a little smile at your forum name Gi-Joe, about twenty years ago the government department that handles UK car number plates ( USA tag plate ) ( or in France Immatriculation plates ) sorry drifting there.  Back to the UK government department for number plates they had an auction and sold off particularly nice number plates that had never been issued, the star of this particular auction was the registration ' G1 JOE '.  

Sadly it ended up on a Land-Rover and not a Jeep, well it got me to thinking I sold militaria to collectors and films so maybe I should have a memorable plate, I asked for ' G1 QMC ', not allowed to have the letter Q.  So I tried for ' G1 KIT ' not allowed the letter I as it could be interpreted as the number one ( 1 ).  I didn't think that ' G1 KEN ' sounded anywhere near as good as ' G1 Joe ', forget that. As I traded with the name ' Norman D. Landing ' I asked for and got it ' G1 NDL ', it was good as a business advert when driving around or attending shows or film-work, and it was on an American truck.  I no longer have that number as I couldn't use it being based in France, private style number plates are not allowed here presently, also I was unable to get the truck registered here in France, unbelievably it didn't meet required standards. !!!!!!!!!!!! 

Loved that truck 

Speaking of forum names my handle is ' General Apathy ' and here's a name that I don't believe has been used so far on the forum ' Major Catastrophe ' if someone would like to make use of it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no charge.

.fullsizeoutput_dcd1.jpeg.de9bb96a6733ec7f3d0790bfbfa1ffc5.jpeg

I personally Know a General Confusion and a Major Malfunction. 😉

General Apathy
2 hours ago, doyler said:

I personally Know a General Confusion and a Major Malfunction. 😉

Hi Ron,

well I had to laugh,  I baited the trap expecting Mikie to come in with some names and you beat him to it  . . . . . . . . Great names and even Mikie has added a ' Like. ' to them. 

Also thanks Ron for the comment on the jerrycan,  I forgot to mention its the first time I have ever seen this on the date the number 2 in 1942 is out of line with the 194 . . . . . . . . a factory mistake during pressing. 

General Apathy
On 10/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan,

Thanks for details on the 1943 BMB can ( Briggs Motor Bodies, Dagenham UK ), I have a large earlier square ' flimsy ' made by the same company, I posted photos of it about three years ago when I acquired it.