Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/5/2021 at 6:07 AM, General Apathy said:

.

A dear and life-time friend died this morning . . . . . . . . . Ian Phillips ( forum member Sabrejet )

 

It is with deep sorrow and regret this morning that I have to share the news I received from Ian's wife

 

 " My darling husband Ian passed away at 1.18 this morning, No more pain for lan but lots for me xxx "

 

Just four short weeks ago Ian was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and that end came today 05 September 2021

 

.fullsizeoutput_cdfb.jpeg.d00e0677d602d827de661688a5642ec2.jpeg

 

 

 

lewis.

 

 

..


i am so sorry to hear this. His posts were always enjoyable to read. He seemed like the kinda guy you would want to just hang out with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Decided to have a clear out in the garages and let another one of my Normandy barn find Jeeps go . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

 

.fullsizeoutput_cf06.jpeg.bbf396da30f2aa2c7d733f913af9d85a.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 09  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Ha!  That is vehicle is clearly in excellent condition.  Or is it excellently clear condition?  

 

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi rene,

 

speaking of aircraft local Jeeping friend Mike is heading home after buying this drop tank beach racer, the beach races are next weekend at Ouistreham if he can get it booked in in time.  !!!!!!!

 

.fullsizeoutput_cdd4.jpeg.2b2e2e28cb7cc923df16bbc4aaa31db1.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_cdd5.jpeg.55b4f0a8317effc146f694dd509d61d6.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 04  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Now that is way cool!  Best of luck to Mike at the races!  He has a nice name, by the way.

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
19 hours ago, BEAST said:

Hmmmm, Ken, how is the gas mileage and how many miles since its last tune-up?  Can you ship to the USA?

.

Hi Erick.

 

Well as it stands it has the best gas-milage of any Jeep you would consider . . . . . . . . . you won't find anything to beat it !!

 

And you wouldn't be paying any inflated prices for shipping it . . . . . . . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_cf06.jpeg.7081aa9b335b2169e7d1582cd1b3bafc.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
19 hours ago, BEAST said:

 

When I worked in a hospital, this was an issue in surgery.  During an operation, the body will sometimes "off-gas" and if the surgeon is using a laser and not careful,  well, the patient may have more issues after the surgery then before.  

.

Hi Erick,

 

I guess you would know when this happened when you passed a surgeon without eyebrows . . . . . . . . . . . .  I always wondered why surgeons carried corks in their operating gowns . . . .

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
13 hours ago, kammo-man said:

That’s Very sad news.

I invited Ian to set Set of Fury several years ago and spent the day with him.

He was a very charming and nice gentleman and I personally enjoyed my time with him.

I hope he passed quickly and that his wife and family knows how much he helped others on a daily basis.

Ian will be missed.

owen 

.

Hi Owen,

 

Ian was very happy to accept your invitation to the film set, I think he added a few shots on this thread at the time. 

 

I screen saved all the tributes to Ian from the forum members and emails to Sian yesterday, his funeral is 1st of October.

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
11 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Well, upon inspection you at least have the opportunity to kick the tyres.

.

Hi Rene,

 

and admire the cleanliness of it considering it stood so long in a barn . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
9 hours ago, BEAST said:


i am so sorry to hear this. His posts were always enjoyable to read. He seemed like the kinda guy you would want to just hang out with.

.

Thanks Erick,

 

Ian and I had been friends since the days of snail mail of the 1970's before computers and cell phones became the norm, I still have several of his letters in my shoebox. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Ha!  That is vehicle is clearly in excellent condition.  Or is it excellently clear condition?  

 

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,

 

well it's clearly evident how rust-free the Jeep is, won't find another so clear of rust . . . . . . . !! trust me I'm a retired car salesman.

 

.fullsizeoutput_cf06.jpeg.3305566990962d128c44c1f6bb649d89.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 09  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Now that is way cool!  Best of luck to Mike at the races!  He has a nice name, by the way.

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,

 

well I took the opportunity yesterday to pose my old scooter helmet on his drop-tank, featuring the metal Viking radiator emblem from a 1960's British Rover 90.  Yesterday I ran my eye over adverts for 1960's Lambretta scooters, spotted this one but the contact details don't appear correct, and there's no phone number attached.

 

Oh by the way we call him Patrick not Mike, too many Mike's around locally . . . . . . 

 

.IMG_0218.jpg.6bdd833aaeafa403f7a80d65aaf1d0b1.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_cfd6.jpeg.4823bafc8f234799948b71c7607dcbe3.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Post war Jeep ownership . . . . . . . . 

 

The parents of another Jeeping friend owned a Jeep post war 1950's when he was a child growing up . . . . . . . .

 

.cliif-in-back-of-jeep-1956.jpg.aed89bf72b72453bbdb4065f9fd06de3.jpg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Johan Willaert
4 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Post war Jeep ownership . . . . . . . . 

 

The parents of another Jeeping friend owned a Jeep post war 1950's when he was a child growing up . . . . . . . .

 

.cliif-in-back-of-jeep-1956.jpg.aed89bf72b72453bbdb4065f9fd06de3.jpg

 

.

 

 

Nice early Jeep! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
On 9/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi BryanJ,

 

well it appears that we all have a connection to someone somewhere suffering with Cancer.  I received a call two days ago that another friend a French lady I know has been diagnosed with bone cancer and the diagnosis is three months, she is a beautiful lady inside and out with a very caring nature and a dear-dear person for me. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 09  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

.

 another friend with cancer . . . . . 

 

Above I made mention of a lovely French lady that has about three months left to live, it has now become common knowledge and I can now say that this lady has been my doctor for the last fourteen years.  I have just been asked if I would help to clear her surgery in the next two weeks, this will be a very-very sad and arduous task to help with. She studied and trained to be a brain surgeon and so has full knowledge of what's happening.

 

I wish the phrase ' I wish her well ' would help, but sadly we know it doesn't, another friend that I am devastated about, maybe my words do not fully describe my genuine thoughts. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

 another friend with cancer . . . . . 

 

Above I made mention of a lovely French lady that has about three months left to live, it has now become common knowledge and I can now say that this lady has been my doctor for the last fourteen years.  I have just been asked if I would help to clear her surgery in the next two weeks, this will be a very-very sad and arduous task to help with. She studied and trained to be a brain surgeon and so has full knowledge of what's happening.

 

I wish the phrase ' I wish her well ' would help, but sadly we know it doesn't, another friend that I am devastated about, maybe my words do not fully describe my genuine thoughts. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

 

Oh Ken, I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about the shock passing of Ian and the unfair diagnosis of your Doctor friend. It is difficult to offer comforting words at these terrible times. Their lives have certainly left a wonderful spirit with all those close to them; you included. This way their goodness continues to shine. I wish you comfort and offer my utmost sympathy and condolences to all those affected. Graham

Link to comment
Share on other sites

manayunkman

Ken, you will be in my prayers.

 

I was very sad to hear about Ian as he and I had many conversations over the years.

 

Surely his wife has a good support team during this time, this sort of thing is not easy.

 

Strength, fortitude and well wishes for all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ken, there isn't much more that I can add that Pieter and Graham already have said but maybe you could see it as an honour that she would trust you with helping her clear her surgery in this difficult time. I know this isn't making things easier, though. I wish you lots of strength. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 5:24 AM, General Apathy said:

 

.

Thanks AG & Mikie,

 

According to UK government figures it appears that more people in the UK have died of cancer than the Covid19 virus.  Mikie, sorry to hear that your wife's cousin has cancer, I hope that the medics can help her.

 

A recent shot of Sian and Ian, they have asked everyone attending Ian's funeral and memorial to avoid dark colours and wear bright colours as Ian was one for Hawaiian shirts . . . . . . . . . .

 

.FB_IMG_1630844445467.jpg.3051d10262fb97f40b0763a17ba0a1d2.jpg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 06  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

I dedicate today's Hawaiian Shirt Friday to celebrate Ian's life and memory. Hawaiian shirts are cool.  A coworker suggested we adopt the tradition at the office a couple of years ago.  And I have happily embraced it since.  My dear daughter just bought me this shirt a couple of weeks ago.  The tropical theme continues with my beloved miniature banana plant. I rescued it a while back from a hardware store that was about to dump it since it was in bad shape.  Not really much of a green thumb, but it seems to be quite happy since I got it.  

Mikie

 

Tribute To  Ian .jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Yesterdays Normandy Beach race at Ouistreham . . . . . . . 

 

a few photos from yesterdays event, the Auburn-Cord owner said that it was imported into France in 1936 and believes it to be the only example of the marque in France. Based on US beach races it features mostly American built vehicles.

 

.IMG_0425.jpg.5a0beb3e8a2ffc93c91d8e6a3388211f.jpg

 

.IMG_0232.jpg.68ef3a8639573a6a38c3b2fc2b18741a.jpg

 

.IMG_0235.jpg.951efcddefab415bc4ca4cbe04be9c0d.jpg

 

.IMG_0244.jpg.6229f724c7f900547e7711f5a17ef2a6.jpg

 

IMG_0246.jpg.88ff801ba74ae54016462f04ee5e22a5.jpg

 

.IMG_0272.jpg.ba58bd610d7bed258c9706d7c4dfaac4.jpg

 

.IMG_0273.jpg.1544e1f91934f6a186b61de767f290cd.jpg

 

.IMG_0274.jpg.881899f78d50e2f20652888798eaff45.jpg

.IMG_0290.jpg.bbb992c313f85cb6ceda92470a6aae69.jpg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 12  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Yesterdays Normandy Beach race at Ouistreham . . . . . . . 

 

a few photos from yesterdays event, the Auburn-Cord owner said that it was imported into France in 1936 and believes it to be the only example of the marque in France. Based on US beach races it features mostly American built vehicles.

 

.IMG_0425.jpg.5a0beb3e8a2ffc93c91d8e6a3388211f.jpg

 

.IMG_0232.jpg.68ef3a8639573a6a38c3b2fc2b18741a.jpg

 

.IMG_0235.jpg.951efcddefab415bc4ca4cbe04be9c0d.jpg

 

.IMG_0244.jpg.6229f724c7f900547e7711f5a17ef2a6.jpg

 

IMG_0246.jpg.88ff801ba74ae54016462f04ee5e22a5.jpg

 

.IMG_0272.jpg.ba58bd610d7bed258c9706d7c4dfaac4.jpg

 

.IMG_0273.jpg.1544e1f91934f6a186b61de767f290cd.jpg

 

.IMG_0274.jpg.881899f78d50e2f20652888798eaff45.jpg

.IMG_0290.jpg.bbb992c313f85cb6ceda92470a6aae69.jpg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 12  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

 

Lots of cool metal there, Ken. Looks like a fun event.  And compliments to the photographer getting that shot of the flag girl in mid-jump.

 

That picture of the scooter brings back a memory. Not sure if I ever mentioned that when I was about 12, Dad came home from work with an old Italian scooter a coworker gave him.  It was too long ago for me to remember much about it, what brand, what year, etc.  Dad got it running and I can recall for a couple of weeks having fun sitting in back while Dad drove it around the neighborhood.  Until my older brother Dave got caught by a cop riding it without a license or registration.  That was the end of the scooter.  And my last experience with motor powered 2-wheeled vehicles.  Fun while it lasted.

 

Mikie

 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

St.James American cemetery Brittany . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Yesterday I dropped down towards Brittany to have lunch with friends that live that way, it's about a two hour drive from Utah beach and past Le Mont Saint Michel.  We visited the American war cemetery at St. James it holds 4,410 war-graves ( 39 % of servicemen were interred in France and 61% were returned to be buried in the States ). 

It is an immaculately kept cemetery we saw about ten gardeners working around the cemetery. I was very impressed with the freshly cut edges of the lawns, it is done with a small push along cutter mounted on four small wheels. 

 

.IMG_0330.jpg.e96637e64a3a389aa4417eb86d489c4f.jpg

 

.IMG_0332.jpg.84e85090a7b94995c811ebcfe88c9d86.jpg

 

.IMG_0339.jpg.f41abe1c58030d642d087fb9084b995c.jpg

 

.IMG_0331.jpg.92609ae674d14c0d4842a06355e68e5e.jpg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

Hi Pararafta . . . . . . . . 

 

Thanks for the ' like ' you added to the St. James American Cemetery above,  here's a few more images from the cemetery.  Sadly being nearly 200 kilometres away from the Normandy beaches its doesn't receive the same amount of visitors that the Omaha Beach Cemetery does.  However I was pleased to see a couple of tour buses in the car park meaning that visitors are being directed to the battles and cemetery in the Brittany area.

 

Note in the second photograph that the headstones are in an exactly straight line from front to rear, but as they pass to the right of the photo

they sweep in an arc to the right, the photograph doesn't really capture the symmetry of the layout.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_d060.jpeg.72aa4788376982d6a1834d4a6e897fac.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_d061.jpeg.6093dd4969ae735f9d23fa23e3341add.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_d062.jpeg.12bee1aeccf1d22912f002d43310e91e.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_d063.jpeg.a7cd2b6ca2699ef45ea638a52b88e007.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
16 hours ago, mikie said:

Lots of cool metal there, Ken. Looks like a fun event.  And compliments to the photographer getting that shot of the flag girl in mid-jump.

 

Mikie

 

   

.

Hi Mikie,

 

Thanks for the post and mention of the scooter that your father once had. 

 

Talking of cool metal I believe that the 1936 Cord once owned by Jimmy Page comes up for auction in two days time at Coy's of London.


https://mycarquest.com/2011/12/rock-stars-and-their-cars.html

 

.fullsizeoutput_d06d.jpeg.b3e80c8a1331932ed915a0ad3c7ec9b4.jpegfullsizeoutput_d06f.jpeg.c69e270984c64d39a14adc4d2a962aba.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy
On 9/10/2021 at 5:27 PM, MCDUFF said:

Oh Ken, I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about the shock passing of Ian and the unfair diagnosis of your Doctor friend. It is difficult to offer comforting words at these terrible times. Their lives have certainly left a wonderful spirit with all those close to them; you included. This way their goodness continues to shine. I wish you comfort and offer my utmost sympathy and condolences to all those affected. Graham

 

On 9/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, manayunkman said:

Ken, you will be in my prayers.

 

I was very sad to hear about Ian as he and I had many conversations over the years.

 

Surely his wife has a good support team during this time, this sort of thing is not easy.

 

Strength, fortitude and well wishes for all.

.

 

Hi Graham, Pieter, Rene,

 

Thanks each for your kind comments and thoughts, sadly the comments I added seem to be only the tip of an iceberg several other friends and associates have now reported instances of Cancer,  I wish all and everyone the hope of recovery. 

 

Over a meal at the weekend with ten friends and wives we spoke of friends and family that we were losing or lost.  The subject of epitaphs came up, a UK post-war comedian Spike Milligan had the following on his headstone ' I told you I was ill ', apparently his headstone was stolen several times.

 

At the post meal discussion the best that I could come with was the following . . . . . . . . . 

 

.fullsizeoutput_d083.jpeg.895b8b1a5e7e2bc2d904a9ba4c22d52f.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Apathy

.

More images of St. James Cemetery . . . . . . . .

 

.IMG_0336.jpg.30b8b03260e6204ae818fe2e6f6ee9e4.jpg

 

.IMG_0337.jpg.f8edf31e244389db2d2d2c72dc2f05bf.jpg

 

.IMG_0338.jpg.ee56c9b7d6526afbff5ba86c64f34115.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_d062.jpeg.9deedc787dbc7f67498d47ae36b7b3b8.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_d063.jpeg.f8a4b4b99697821276000e92aad2261d.jpeg

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2021.

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...