Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 8/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, BryanJ said:

Cheers Sir!  Oh to be a young man again!!

Hi BryanJ,

I think it might have been Woody Allen that once said if he came back again after death he wanted to start his life as an old man and work forwards through his youth and ending as an orgasm . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
On 8/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, mikie said:

I get the feeling that Ken was a bit of almost everything at one time or another.  But since he won't write his memoirs, we will never know except the tidbits he throws out here. 

Hi Mikie,

I think it was all a question of being in the right place at the right time (as opposed to being in the right place at the wrong time, that's when bad things happen ). There's that old saying that you are never more than six people away from someone famous, or something like that.

Well two weeks ago Jane, myself and several friends attended a screening In Carentan of a documentary about three US servicemen that fought in Carentan during WWII.  The documentary was titled ' Rendezvous with Destiny '  and featured Jim 'Pee-Wee' Martin, Dan McBride and Dick Klein.  

There were other US veterans sat in the audience, and I was sat next to  Frank Riesinger a 95 year old USAAF veteran. Mr Riesinger said he was from Oklahoma and I related that I used to visit Medal of Honour winner Ernest Childers at Broken Arrow OK.  He laughed and said that he organises a memorial each year to Ernest Childers and other veterans of Broken Arrow, and would I like to attend this year, sadly I declined the invitation, in a Covid free world I may well have taken up that offer.  

Another member of the audience was the granddaughter of General Patton, seen in this photo stood in the centre with blonde hair.  

.fullsizeoutput_c746.jpeg.2479de91b0e0651fa07cf279f8985928.jpeg 

.IMG_0018.jpg.ec9cfdc9f5f3e2ab05487fbdc2138f49.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_c114.jpeg.460df82c4bde07cbcfcc4383c3098dda.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
On 8/14/2021 at 2:24 AM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

You and your jeep friends have the best stories! I can just see the policeman's face!

..Kat

Hi Kat,

yes we all have some great jeeping stories over the years . . . . . . . . .

Back in 1973 on my first trip to Normandy in my Jeep I thought it wise to carry a lot of spares to enable self sufficiency should a breakdown happen, so spare head-gasket, spare clutch plate, rubber hoses, fan belt, points, plugs and condenser, lights, bulbs  etc etc.  ( we did over 1,500 kilometres in a two week trip without having to use any outside or garage help )

So when packing spares it always pays to make use of space, in the end of one hose is a small jar of Vaseline for battery terminals and other electrical connections, spark plugs in the middle and in the opposite end a spare ignition switch. ( spare hose clips already on the hose )

On the choke and throttle cable I carry spare electrical connectors, these can be used to joint a snapped cable. Note in this photo the original choke cable clamp is the centre one, the problem with this original one is it has an open hole opposite side to the screw and over tightening the screw can snap the cable hence the possible need to joint cables, ( which I have had to do once, but prepared for a next time ). 

The other little idea I use is to bend a ninety degree bend at the end of the cable, this prevent the loss of a cable clamp should the screw workloose and slide down the cable. I leave the cable longer and don't cut it back to the clamp. ( the snapped cable I had to joint several years ago was not to hand to photograph )

On the two headlamp brackets I carry spare wheel nuts,  ( ever lost a wheel nut when changing a flat . . . . . . . . . . )

In the coils of the fan belt I carry a replacement universal joint for the prop-shafts.

On screwdrivers I arrange several relevant sockets for nuts, keeps them tidy and no need to carry a whole socket case. 

These are just a few ideas I have used over the years.  

.IMG_0142.jpg.3d34ec8d17ea0672048d192ca4fa675a.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg.626e6be0c09c466e21231f8a9c8e3783.jpg

.IMG_0144.jpg.3bf910d242112e876c60cff175cecfb1.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c742.jpeg.5aad1ae9064d8d410ba3dc8bb28f7889.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c741.jpeg.7c2575e4cbdb7c1479d7e565406dcec9.jpeg

.IMG_0145.jpg.1216bb94662ce87f886a8e28b94dcfc2.jpg

41 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Back in 1973 on my first trip to Normandy in my Jeep I thought it wise to carry a lot of spares to enable self sufficiency should a breakdown happen, so spare head-gasket, spare clutch plate, rubber hoses, fan belt, points, plugs and condenser, lights, bulbs  etc etc.  ( we did over 1,500 kilometres in a two week trip without having to use any outside or garage help )

So when packing spares it always pays to make use of space, in the end of one hose is a small jar of Vaseline for battery terminals and other electrical connections, spark plugs in the middle and in the opposite end a spare ignition switch. ( spare hose clips already on the hose )

On the choke and throttle cable I carry spare electrical connectors, these can be used to joint a snapped cable. Note in this photo the original choke cable clamp is the centre one, the problem with this original one is it has an open hole opposite side to the screw and over tightening the screw can snap the cable hence the possible need to joint cables, ( which I have had to do once, but prepared for a next time ). 

The other little idea I use is to bend a ninety degree bend at the end of the cable, this prevent the loss of a cable clamp should the screw workloose and slide down the cable. I leave the cable longer and don't cut it back to the clamp. ( the snapped cable I had to joint several years ago was not to hand to photograph )

On the two headlamp brackets I carry spare wheel nuts,  ( ever lost a wheel nut when changing a flat . . . . . . . . . . )

In the coils of the fan belt I carry a replacement universal joint for the prop-shafts.

On screwdrivers I arrange several relevant sockets for nuts, keeps them tidy and no need to carry a whole socket case. 

And most of this will probably be found in that British ammo box you carry in the back of your Jeep, I assume.  

On 8/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, mikie said:

I made my periodic blood donation at the Red Cross this morning.  I think I posted here about some repro vintage RC posters on the walls there before. Today I noticed one I hadn't seen before.  Looks like WWI era.   

Painting usd.jpg

Kudos to you Mikie for donating blood.

Those Red Cross items are beautiful in my opinion. This is an original card board cut out I have that can be placed on a counter. It is from 1939 if I am correct. I'm going to frame it to keep it in better shape. 

SAM_1639.JPG.7ff64755dfb730498ebba21170d2b1cd.JPG

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I think it was all a question of being in the right place at the right time (as opposed to being in the right place at the wrong time, that's when bad things happen ). There's that old saying that you are never more than six people away from someone famous, or something like that.

Well two weeks ago Jane, myself and several friends attended a screening In Carentan of a documentary about three US servicemen that fought in Carentan during WWII.  The documentary was titled ' Rendezvous with Destiny '  and featured Jim 'Pee-Wee' Martin, Dan McBride and Dick Klein.  

There were other US veterans sat in the audience, and I was sat next to  Frank Riesinger a 95 year old USAAF veteran. Mr Riesinger said he was from Oklahoma and I related that I used to visit Medal of Honour winner Ernest Childers at Broken Arrow OK.  He laughed and said that he organises a memorial each year to Ernest Childers and other veterans of Broken Arrow, and would I like to attend this year, sadly I declined the invitation, in a Covid free world I may well have taken up that offer.  

Another member of the audience was the granddaughter of General Patton, seen in this photo stood in the centre with blonde hair.  

.fullsizeoutput_c746.jpeg.2479de91b0e0651fa07cf279f8985928.jpeg 

.IMG_0018.jpg.ec9cfdc9f5f3e2ab05487fbdc2138f49.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_c114.jpeg.460df82c4bde07cbcfcc4383c3098dda.jpeg

Reading or hearing stories about these guys is one thing.  But to actually meet them and hear what they have to say is beyond amazing.  Something that will be impossible soon.   

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I agree with Kat,  thanks for donating blood a worthwhile cause.  Back in the day in the UK when you gave blood I think they wanted you to sit around for about fifteen minutes to ensure that you were recovering ok, to encourage you they served you tea and biscuits.  

They do make you rest for 15 minutes afterward and have a snack. Plus they encourage you to eat a hearty meal afterward.  It's been almost a month and a half since my last burger so I had an excuse to break my diet. I had a bacon-mushroom burger. It's in support of my favorite local small business. That and the snacks are the real reason I do it.  

RC Snacks.jpg

Hungey Hound Burger.jpg

4 minutes ago, mikie said:

They do make you rest for 15 minutes afterward and have a snack. Plus they encourage you to eat a hearty meal afterward.  It's been almost a month and a half since my last burger so I had an excuse to break my diet. I had a bacon-mushroom burger. It's in support of my favorite local small business. That and the snacks are the real reason I do it.  

RC Snacks.jpg

Hungey Hound Burger.jpg

Seeing that, you'll probably be back tomorrow doing it all over again, I guess 😄

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Clever storage solutions.  Did you develop this yourself own or was it passed on to you by a sage and wise jeeping mentor?

Mikie

images.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 4:22 AM, General Apathy said:

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . 

A Normandy friend recently bought a a copy of Winston Ramsey's ' German Coastal Radar Stations - Then & Now ' he also has one of the radar stations close to his location.  Last week he made a visit to the remaining bunkers to make his own comparisons with wartime shots in the book of the bunkers.  He was approached by the farmer upon who's land the bunkers are situated, my friend apologised if he was trespassing but the farmer was quite happy for him to look around.  

As the farmer heard the interest that my friend had in the facility the farmer took him across to the farm and gave him the last two remaining pieces he had of the panel mesh. At the end of WWII the farmers father used the mesh for rabbit and chicken and other animal pens. At least these two pieces will be saved for the future and possibly donated to a local museum.

.fullsizeoutput_c1ec.jpeg.2e23d1b0e1108afead9f506562977cb2.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 05  2021.

I've been meaning to do some research on these fascinating artifacts but never seem to find the time.  What I did learn was that these things really are amazing. Here is a link to a museum dedicated to these radar stations.  Looks like it could be interesting...

http://www.musee-radar.fr/la-station-radar/le-musee-1-2.html

And here is a Wikipedia article about the fight for the Douvres radar station, which was an important post-D-Day objective...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Douvres_Radar_Station

I was aware of none of this before.  Love to finds out new things about old stuff.

Mike

On 8/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

maybe you would have got it on the 1539th try . . . . .Don't think  ' Get Smart ' was ever shown over in the UK, you also mention it was a spoof on the James Bond movies,  here's a girlfriend from 1979 that I got into modelling and movies, this shots from the 1981 Bond movie ' For your eyes only ', Bond was played by Roger Moore.  

.fullsizeoutput_c5c4.jpeg.3598a4f7d95de04bba5c4b0212b1805b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 10  2021.

Got me hooked on watching some old Get Smart clips.  Don Adams played Agent 86, Maxwell Smart.  The slinky Barbara Feldman played Agent 99, no name ever given.  I'll confess that 99 was one of my major pre-teen TV crushes. 

Here are a couple of clips to get the sense of the show.  the first one takes place when they visit London. 

I should caution you not to mistake the 2008 remake movie for the 1965-70 original series.  There were also a couple of attempts to revive the series, but they were not very good. 

In the 1960s it was easier to defeat enemy spies in a toy store than it is now...

A navy sails on its stomach........so it's quite logical that something like a Landing Barge Kitchen existed. I wasn't aware of this until I found this photo. Supposedly this was used during the Normandy landings and it's primary purpose was to supply hot meals to smaller ships not fitted with galley facilities.

Landing_Barge_kitchen_LCVs_and_LCM3s_-_Invasion_of_Normandy.jpg.dc4b4a69dc30ce6c36554e316a92a09c.jpg

On 8/15/2021 at 9:34 PM, mikie said:

Got me hooked on watching some old Get Smart clips.  Don Adams played Agent 86, Maxwell Smart.  The slinky Barbara Feldman played Agent 99, no name ever given.  I'll confess that 99 was one of my major pre-teen TV crushes. 

Here are a couple of clips to get the sense of the show.  the first one takes place when they visit London. 

I should caution you not to mistake the 2008 remake movie for the 1965-70 original series.  There were also a couple of attempts to revive the series, but they were not very good. 

In the 1960s it was easier to defeat enemy spies in a toy store than it is now...

One more comment of Get Smart.  Don Adams was a WWII Marine Corps veteran.  According to military.wikia.org and several other sources, Don, 

"During World War II, he joined the United States Marine Corps, at the age of 16, by lying about his age. Adams participated in the Battle of Guadalcanal in the Pacific Theater of Operations. His combat service was short-lived; he was shot and contracted blackwater fever, a serious complication of malaria, known for a 90% rate of fatality. He was evacuated and then hospitalized for more than a year at a Navy hospital in Wellington, New Zealand. After his recovery, he served as a Marine drill instructor in the United States".

2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

A navy sails on its stomach........so it's quite logical that something like a Landing Barge Kitchen existed. I wasn't aware of this until I found this photo. Supposedly this was used during the Normandy landings and it's primary purpose was to supply hot meals to smaller ships not fitted with galley facilities.

Landing_Barge_kitchen_LCVs_and_LCM3s_-_Invasion_of_Normandy.jpg.dc4b4a69dc30ce6c36554e316a92a09c.jpg

"A navy sails on its stomach". That reminds me of one of the stories Dad liked to tell.  He was a Pacific war infantryman.  But he said he spent a lot of time onboard Navy troopships.  The Army fed the troops army food, but the sailors got Navy chow which was much much better.  He figured out that by volunteering to help the sailors with their work, they were so happy to have a hand that they let him eat with them.  30 years later he was still amazed that he got to enjoy ice cream while sailing through tropical waters aboard a hot and steamy old ship.  

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi friends and members,  short on time again . . . . . . thanks for all recent posts.

In St. John's Smith Square in London stands Queen Anne's ' footstool ' Church, history records that when Queen Anne was asked what she would like the church to look like she kicked over a footstool and said make it look like that, so the four legs of the up-turned footstool became four towers at each corner of the church. 

Well it's not really the church that I am posting about this evening it's the street that either leads to the front door of the church or leads away from the church depending your stance at the time if visiting.  This street is Lord North Street and on several houses along the street wartime painted signs are still to be seen pointing to air-raid shelters within the street.

.fullsizeoutput_c88e.jpeg.b402383eb0384d92aacbe12e340bc5d6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c886.jpeg.5165cdd0aaa305dc1b143ef5e0df0831.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c89a.jpeg.a08ad5f7f943cfba5178765b9b95e0b8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c882.jpeg.a73310e9bbec688d043fdabd2927ed9f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c884.jpeg.bfa04cc6921f314a92a9146c8c5fc0c8.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 18  2021.

General Apathy
On 8/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Rene,

Thanks for posting this photo of the Landing Barge Kitchen-6,  she continued in service through to 1966, read her full history here along with anecdotal stories from some of the crew members . . . . . . . . 

https://www.combinedops.com/HMLBK_6.htm

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 19  2021.

18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi friends and members,  short on time again . . . . . . thanks for all recent posts.

In St. John's Smith Square in London stands Queen Anne's ' footstool ' Church, history records that when Queen Anne was asked what she would like the church to look like she kicked over a footstool and said make it look like that, so the four legs of the up-turned footstool became four towers at each corner of the church. 

Well it's not really the church that I am posting about this evening it's the street that either leads to the front door of the church or leads away from the church depending your stance at the time if visiting.  This street is Lord North Street and on several houses along the street wartime painted signs are still to be seen pointing to air-raid shelters within the street.

.fullsizeoutput_c88e.jpeg.b402383eb0384d92aacbe12e340bc5d6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c886.jpeg.5165cdd0aaa305dc1b143ef5e0df0831.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c89a.jpeg.a08ad5f7f943cfba5178765b9b95e0b8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c882.jpeg.a73310e9bbec688d043fdabd2927ed9f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c884.jpeg.bfa04cc6921f314a92a9146c8c5fc0c8.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 18  2021.

London and England in general are high on my list of places I want to go to, but most likely never will.  Thanks for giving me a glimpse of it here.  Do the signs still point to active or perhaps abandoned shelters?  I'm guessing not, but it would be interesting to go exploring. 

Mikie

General Apathy
16 minutes ago, mikie said:

London and England in general are high on my list of places I want to go to, but most likely never will.  Thanks for giving me a glimpse of it here.  Do the signs still point to active or perhaps abandoned shelters?  I'm guessing not, but it would be interesting to go exploring. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

The shelters are no longer active, they refer to the cellars ( vaults ) commandeered during WWII under the actual houses of the street. 

Lots of Americans used to visit London and the UK, there was a famous quote by some 1950's US comedian who said ' I went to the UK and it was closed '  in the 1950's or so there wasn't a twenty-four culture like in major cities of the US.  However all that has changed as so much else has changed in the last forty years, it's not the culture of my youth graffiti and holes in the road surfaces being two of my beefs.

Anyway here's a good way of visiting London take these 15 / 30 minute tours by Joolz on Youtube,  this one is a 25 minute Beatles tour showing all the places and building associated with the early lives of the Beatles.  Personally the Beatles were not my thing, at the time I preferred the Rolling Stones which was a more bluesy music, Little Red Rooster and the Vietnam Vets favourite Paint it black.

There are many more tours listed on the right side of the screen after opening this one . . . . . . . . . . . One I liked featured a store maybe 400 years old that supplied Churchill his cigars during his life, another featured a hat-makers that made hats for film work and for film stars as well. 

General Apathy

Normandy find yesterday . . .  WWII Japanese Feeler Gauges. 

No not really I am just joshing with you I found them before they were lost . . . . . . . . the father of a Dutch Jeeping friend served in the Dutch East Indies after the Japanese surrender at the end of WWII and he found them there, my Jeeping friend inherited them, so technically not lost or Found in Normandy just in a garage tool box in Normandy . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_c8bd.jpeg.852240739ba9551282ef595f3d55da11.jpeg

General Apathy

Hope this raises a smile in these worrying times . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_c93e.jpeg.74c74f7abb08fcf39d3a8591c2eccdf8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c942.jpeg.3b3b8ecd91db2a615f47ea94319695c4.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 21  2021.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

All brilliant ideas Ken, but the spare wheel nut is genius!! Thanks for the valuable tips! Cheers Graham

General Apathy

Yesterdays Normandy find . . . . . . . . . .

I was invited by a local widow to look through a couple of boxes of her husbands old tools that were to be thrown away and spotted this Air-Ministry ( RAF ) wrench, measures roughly 4 inches or 11 centimetres, it also has it's air-ministry number embossed in it.  

.fullsizeoutput_ca38.jpeg.3adf3def7a9f3d7a8b65ba27cf4cbf04.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 23  2021.

General Apathy

Grandson William into his third month . . . . . . . . 

William looks awake &  active in this image, waiting for a time to see him and my daughter when cross border travel becomes easier, crazy world.  

.fullsizeoutput_ca54.jpeg.da3782abeeb5587842450dccf66b4e73.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Yesterdays Normandy find . . . . . . . . . .

I was invited by a local widow to look through a couple of boxes of her husbands old tools that were to be thrown away and spotted this Air-Ministry ( RAF ) wrench, measures roughly 4 inches or 11 centimetres, it also has it's air-ministry number embossed in it.  

.fullsizeoutput_ca38.jpeg.3adf3def7a9f3d7a8b65ba27cf4cbf04.jpeg

Looks like your week for finding interesting tools.  

Mikie