Norman D. Landing

bilko1

2 minutes ago, mikie said:

I was late to this party and missed my chance here. Would you believe I would have gotten the answer on my first try? Would you believe my second try? How about my 1538th try? 

In case you didn't know, that bit was a running gag from Get Smart. It was a very funny James Bond spoof US TV show from the 60s. One of my all time faves. 

Mikie

Maxwell Smart and Agent 99... remember the show well. 

General Apathy
4 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

This is very interesting! I never would have guessed it was a bomb fin crate!

P.S.  I guess my wild jab at something dropped by a plane was a tiny bit close. Hahaha!

...Kat

Hi Kat,

one of the friends I shared the photos with came back with a guess of it being an unfinished officers commode . . . . . . . 

joking of course :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_c490.jpeg.ed45138e7a645bb79d9cc2bfda6ad778.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 08  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

pararaftanr2

I wonder if the slight differences in the photo, compared to your crate, are just differences to accommodate one, or the other, of the two bomb sizes? Or, possibly, if the crate end with the cutouts shown in the photo is the opposite end missing from yours (that would cover the ends of the fins) and your solid "table-top" is resting on the ground so just not visible? Whatever the answer, a very cool item.

37 minutes ago, doyler said:

Maxwell Smart and Agent 99... remember the show well. 

Found this clip on Youtube.  not the best one, but all I could find quickly. 

General Apathy

Covid19 Pandemic problems . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_c578.jpeg.5da4d4d9348c0a1a765879104220f357.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 09  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Salvage Sailor
56 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

theo_moudakis_four_horsemen.jpg.a06d58c758be81d2a66d936ea6a7b036.jpg

manayunkman
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Best use for the Times

23 hours ago, General Apathy said:

They picked the wrong time to quit printing telephone books.

Mikie

General Apathy
On 8/8/2021 at 8:58 PM, mikie said:

I was late to this party and missed my chance here. Would you believe I would have gotten the answer on my first try? Would you believe my second try? How about my 1538th try? 

In case you didn't know, that bit was a running gag from Get Smart. It was a very funny James Bond spoof US TV show from the 60s. One of my all time faves. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

maybe you would have got it on the 1539th try . . . . .Don't think  ' Get Smart ' was ever shown over in the UK, you also mention it was a spoof on the James Bond movies,  here's a girlfriend from 1979 that I got into modelling and movies, this shots from the 1981 Bond movie ' For your eyes only ', Bond was played by Roger Moore.  

.fullsizeoutput_c5c4.jpeg.3598a4f7d95de04bba5c4b0212b1805b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 10  2021.

General Apathy
On 8/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, General Apathy said:

On 8/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

theo_moudakis_four_horsemen.jpg.a06d58c758be81d2a66d936ea6a7b036.jpg

21 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Best use for the Times

3 hours ago, mikie said:

They picked the wrong time to quit printing telephone books.

Mikie

Hi Salvage sailor, Manajunkman, Mikie,

Looks like we have got ourselves a paper-trail here . . . . . . . . unless it gets wiped of course.  !!!

General Apathy
1 minute ago, manayunkman said:

Mr Lewis,

So in the past you were a modeling agent?

Hi Piet,

no I was just a young man about town . . . . . . . . . . . if that's the right terminology. !!!!!

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Mr Lewis,

So in the past you were a modeling agent?

I get the feeling that Ken was a bit of almost everything at one time or another.  But since he won't write his memoirs, we will never know except the tidbits he throws out here. 

41 minutes ago, mikie said:

I get the feeling that Ken was a bit of almost everything at one time or another.  But since he won't write his memoirs, we will never know except the tidbits he throws out here. 

I agree. 

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Piet,

no I was just a young man about town . . . . . . . . . . . if that's the right terminology. !!!!!

You remind me of a special I saw about the evolution of England in the 1960s.

Micheal Caine took you through it.

My Generation 

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

maybe you would have got it on the 1539th try . . . . .Don't think  ' Get Smart ' was ever shown over in the UK, you also mention it was a spoof on the James Bond movies,  here's a girlfriend from 1979 that I got into modelling and movies, this shots from the 1981 Bond movie ' For your eyes only ', Bond was played by Roger Moore.  

It's good to be James Bond.  Or a modeling agent.  

Mikie

General Apathy

A quick post and I will be back later to answer some of the posts above . . . . . . . .

another email anecdote from Jeeper Len . . . . . . . . 

" Returning home in the Jeep when I got near Lydney I was overtaken by a Police car with blue lights indicating for me to pull over which I did - Just my luck.

The solitary Officer approached, stating that he had checked my registration which came back as a Ford, adding that he knew WW2 jeeps were all made by Willys, so why was I driving on false plates ?

After a lengthy discussion regarding Willys and Ford, including pointing out the data plate & the numerous F script parts on my GPW, the some what embarrassed officer apologised, and we parted company. "

While adding Lens post I recall one of my earliest road-tugs by the police was to be stopped in the mid 70's and asked which base I had stolen it off, due to the fact it still had all the accessories on there the Ax, shovel, jerrycan etc and U.S. Army markings and numbers . . . . . . It was over thirty years old by then but looked great. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13  2021.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, General Apathy said:

Just have to read through the lines... 😆

I made my periodic blood donation at the Red Cross this morning.  I think I posted here about some repro vintage RC posters on the walls there before. Today I noticed one I hadn't seen before.  Looks like WWI era.   

Painting usd.jpg

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

A quick post and I will be back later to answer some of the posts above . . . . . . . .

another email anecdote from Jeeper Len . . . . . . . . 

" Returning home in the Jeep when I got near Lydney I was overtaken by a Police car with blue lights indicating for me to pull over which I did - Just my luck.

The solitary Officer approached, stating that he had checked my registration which came back as a Ford, adding that he knew WW2 jeeps were all made by Willys, so why was I driving on false plates ?

After a lengthy discussion regarding Willys and Ford, including pointing out the data plate & the numerous F script parts on my GPW, the some what embarrassed officer apologised, and we parted company. "

While adding Lens post I recall one of my earliest road-tugs by the police was to be stopped in the mid 70's and asked which base I had stolen it off, due to the fact it still had all the accessories on there the Ax, shovel, jerrycan etc and U.S. Army markings and numbers . . . . . . It was over thirty years old by then but looked great. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13  2021.

Ken,

You and your jeep friends have the best stories! I can just see the policeman's face!

..Kat

4 hours ago, mikie said:

I made my periodic blood donation at the Red Cross this morning.  I think I posted here about some repro vintage RC posters on the walls there before. Today I noticed one I hadn't seen before.  Looks like WWI era.   

Painting usd.jpg

Thanks for giving blood! Awesome!

...Kat

On 8/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

VVV.gif

General Apathy
On 8/14/2021 at 2:25 AM, cutiger83 said:

Thanks for giving blood! Awesome!

...Kat

Hi Mikie,

I agree with Kat,  thanks for donating blood a worthwhile cause.  Back in the day in the UK when you gave blood I think they wanted you to sit around for about fifteen minutes to ensure that you were recovering ok, to encourage you they served you tea and biscuits.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2021.