Norman D. Landing

bilko1

2 hours ago, Escht said:

Is it possibly an electrical or radio part ?

I was thinking the same thing, radio part. Post a picture if you can. 

Mike

PS, Always double check your spell checker. Mine changed " thing" to "thong". That would have been embarrassing if I hadn't caught it. It also changed my name to Julie. And I don't even know a Julie. 

General Apathy
On 7/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, earlymb said:

Sad news, condolences to family and friends :(

Hi Mikie & MB,

thanks you for the condolences messages that you have added, here's a shot of Mark in the rear of this Jeep in Ste Mere Eglise in 1976.

Thanks to other members for the likes added to recent posts, normally like to try and address everyone who contributes sadly still under a

restriction currently on the time I have for  downloading, sizing and constructing text to add to the thread.

.fullsizeoutput_c11d.jpeg.ea6638e5a4257f6fc989588633babce6.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

I got word that our 35 year old otherwise healthy niece in San Diego has come down with Covid Delta.  She had both shots, so like many of us, relaxed after the mask guidance was relaxed here.  Apparently she and several others caught it from an unmasked, unvaccinated person at a gathering.  She has been miserably sick at home for over a week now with no improvement.  She is absolutely convinced that the vaccine saved her from getting to the point of hospitalization.  I wanted to pass this on as a cautionary tale to you all here.  I've decided to dig my masks out again.   We are not out of the woods yet, folks.  Stay safe and please make a reasoned decision on masks, vaccines and distancing.  I know it isn't fun, but believe me, Ashley is NOT having fun right now either.  

Mikie

On 7/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi MB,

here's a shot of the original passenger side door of the pair of doors that Mike got for his Jeep, can't complain at 30 euros for the pair, I think that was possibly the star buy of the day, not that I needed a pair had a set for forty years and never used them . . . . . . . . . :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_bedc.jpeg.fb337063b7646d38a9ea003a20b7bd7d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 21  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

What would someone who never uses the wind screen need those things for?  I don't remember actually seeing those in use on a jeep before.  Was a set issued with each jeep?

Mikie  

On 7/22/2021 at 4:01 AM, Escht said:

No problem....... your photos reminded me of the sorts of gear I used to recover from the farms and buildings in the Ardennes up to about 10 yrs ago........ just a very small fraction of what there was to be found..........

parachute group.jpg

ARDENNES GOODIES159.jpg

shells,gasmaskcases,reel.jpg

spade,mags,cooker.jpg

Oh my goodness!  

On 7/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie & MB,

thanks you for the condolences messages that you have added, here's a shot of Mark in the rear of this Jeep in Ste Mere Eglise in 1976.

Thanks to other members for the likes added to recent posts, normally like to try and address everyone who contributes sadly still under a

restriction currently on the time I have for  downloading, sizing and constructing text to add to the thread.

.fullsizeoutput_c11d.jpeg.ea6638e5a4257f6fc989588633babce6.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26  2021.

Ken,

Sorry I am late responding. So sorry for your loss. I know you have a lot of jeep friends that you are very close to. 

I hope your busy times are for fun. 

...Kat

3 hours ago, mikie said:

I got word that our 35 year old otherwise healthy niece in San Diego has come down with Covid Delta.  She had both shots, so like many of us, relaxed after the mask guidance was relaxed here.  Apparently she and several others caught it from an unmasked, unvaccinated person at a gathering.  She has been miserably sick at home for over a week now with no improvement.  She is absolutely convinced that the vaccine saved her from getting to the point of hospitalization.  I wanted to pass this on as a cautionary tale to you all here.  I've decided to dig my masks out again.   We are not out of the woods yet, folks.  Stay safe and please make a reasoned decision on masks, vaccines and distancing.  I know it isn't fun, but believe me, Ashley is NOT having fun right now either.  

Mikie

Mikie,

So sorry that your niece is so sick. I am with you on everything you said. I hope your niece is better soon.

...Kat

General Apathy
On 7/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, here's some inspiration for you.....

Hi Rene,

Only last week you posted the video for ZZ Top's ' she's got legs '  . . . . . . . 

sadly this evening Dusty Hill the bassist in ZZ Top died aged 72 . . . . . . . . . . . . formed in 1969 they had a good run. 

.zz-top-performance-2016-billboard-1548-compressed-e1610379399901.jpg.01b3b9d6985c674a0c8667bff08e1f21.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 28  2021.

General Apathy

I am still pushed for time to post all that I have to add and also answer posts from friends who posted . . . . . .

However last night while searching through my photo files I realised that there were two ' Then & Now ' photos unintentionally taken at the same spot pure coincidence  . . . . . . . . . . . it has taken me 12 years to see the 1944 and 2009 images on the same search last night . . . . . 

The images were taken at Le Mont-Saint-Michel, it's now a closed community there's no vehicle access any longer, also only 33 people live full time on the Mont. within the fortress walls.

.fullsizeoutput_c24d.jpeg.6609d208ccce183871fe105763b378b9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c24e.jpeg.1d9408939954d5f59e8d51a99e9aef1a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 31  2021.

General Apathy

I received another missive today from Len our forum friend and fellow lurker  . . . . . . . . 

Being a long-term Jeeping friend all things Jeep appeal to him and so he's shared this letter written in a wartime copy of YANK magazine.

.fullsizeoutput_c259.jpeg.80bbc76779c00dcea305e156eee2757e.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I am still pushed for time to post all that I have to add and also answer posts from friends who posted . . . . . .

However last night while searching through my photo files I realised that there were two ' Then & Now ' photos unintentionally taken at the same spot pure coincidence  . . . . . . . . . . . it has taken me 12 years to see the 1944 and 2009 images on the same search last night . . . . . 

The images were taken at Le Mont-Saint-Michel, it's now a closed community there's no vehicle access any longer, also only 33 people live full time on the Mont. within the fortress walls.

Ken,

Great then and now post! Is the town closed to vehicles because of the stone roads and narrow streets? I love to see buildings still the same after so many years.

..Kat

27 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I received another missive today from Len our forum friend and fellow lurker  . . . . . . . . 

Being a long-term Jeeping friend all things Jeep appeal to him and so he's shared this letter written in a wartime copy of YANK magazine.

I love it! Just shoot down a ME-109 to repair a spark plug! Haha hahaha!

...Kat

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Sounds like you have achieved some kind of Zen state where you do Then & Nows without thinking. 

2 hours ago, mikie said:

Sounds like you have achieved some kind of Zen state where you do Then & Nows without thinking. 

I agree! I would love to spend a day in Ken's head!  haha hahaha!!

General Apathy
8 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Great then and now post! Is the town closed to vehicles because of the stone roads and narrow streets? I love to see buildings still the same after so many years.

..Kat

Hi Kat,

it's one of the major tourists sites in the world, on a daily basis there are so many people walking the streets it would be impossible now to have vehicular traffic.  Even a lot of the big ocean cruise ships pull in near there for the passengers to visit.  All vehicular traffic now has to park in special carparks about two / three miles away and catch organised transport to be dropped off at the monument, I haven't revisited there since the scheme started several years ago . . . . . . . . . . sadly it's my vision of hell on earth or rats in a cage regarding the transport, but the mont and the church on top are well worth a visit. 

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

Hi mike,

hows this for a Zen state of mind on the way home from the restaurant this evening . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_c26f.jpeg.025484507fd35bbe6d49f6fc1e642edb.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c270.jpeg.8675845c9358a7d7cae48e990bb4f3b0.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Hi Kat,

are you really certain that you would want to spend a day in my mind, let me know if you find anything else worthwhile in there . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_c27d.jpeg.113ef2f2ad974b44a9302b02a209e53f.jpeg

16 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi mike,

hows this for a Zen state of mind on the way home from the restaurant this evening . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_c26f.jpeg.025484507fd35bbe6d49f6fc1e642edb.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c270.jpeg.8675845c9358a7d7cae48e990bb4f3b0.jpeg

Beautiful. Dear daughter Kassidy has a major thing for sunsets. She has hundreds of pictures of them on her phone that she took. 

General Apathy
3 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Hi Kat,

well what can I say . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  !!!!

.fullsizeoutput_c292.jpeg.85fb768cf6516a81e24b8cc09b6bf839.jpeg

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

This sounds like a great idea to test on Mythbusters. If you or a neighbor happen to dig up an M-109 in the garden, you'll need to give it a try.

Mikie

General Apathy
On 7/28/2021 at 1:05 AM, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

I hope that your niece Ashley is recovering well now, I have had my two shots but if I go to any public indoor space I am still using a mask.

General Apathy
On 7/22/2021 at 1:01 PM, Escht said:

No problem....... your photos reminded me of the sorts of gear I used to recover from the farms and buildings in the Ardennes up to about 10 yrs ago........ just a very small fraction of what there was to be found..........

parachute group.jpg

ARDENNES GOODIES159.jpg

shells,gasmaskcases,reel.jpg

spade,mags,cooker.jpg

Hi Kevin,

Those days are getting fewer and farther between now, the wooden box in your last photo I was shown an identical one today still in green paint and the inside lid and box were panelled out with a lead / zinc type metal, it was 12 euros, didn't take it, lots of street flea markets locally in the morning . . . . . . . 

Having said that a Jeeping friend here was approached by another local French Jeep owner who had just discovered a French farmer with a couple of Dodge trucks and a couple of Jeeps, he has bought a Willys slat-grille Jeep with the rear panel missing for 2,000 all complete in need of restoration . . . . .  

Just now, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I hope that your niece Ashley is recovering well now, I have had my two shots but if I go to any public indoor space I am still using a mask.

Thanks. Last I heard she was still sick. But wanted the word spread for everyone to be careful out there. There is a busy intersection nearby that is popular with wing nut protests. Right now there is a lone idiot dumb-rump  woman there with all kinds of signs and banners claiming covid is not real and the whole pandemic is a fraud by the pharmaceutical industry. Masks are a symbol of tyranny. Etc. It just never ceases to amaze me the depths of stupidity people have. 

Glad you are taking precautions. I

Mikie

General Apathy

Completed the set . . . . . . .

German barbed wire stakes are made in three sizes, I have the tall and medium sizes and have bee looking for one of the shortest ones.  Today I found one of the short ones.  I have seen a great many of these stakes over the years but this is the first stake I have ever seen with three faded shades of camouflage paint on the stake, a real bonus methinks.  This size is roughly a metre / yard tall.

.fullsizeoutput_c293.jpeg.f4eea58e8c0b3d1ce4b3f1a4c6e4b754.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c294.jpeg.5f878788e68ab7ce55a5a20d1d7fb568.jpeg