Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Still recovering from jet lag and the 3 hour time difference from my family trip to Florida.  I have just a little of militaria to report on.  I'll start off with the only jeep sighting.  Ken and Johan will certainly ID this, but for everyone else, it was tagged in the museum as an M38, a postwar version.   

Mikie886503630_M38Jeep.jpg.ba011d37fc3956424635f5af28b6bf60.jpg

Hi Mikie,

thanks for the photograph, the museum have identified it correctly

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 07  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Something else from the shoebox . . . . . . 

Several WWII military rubber stamps the flat ones don't have a location shown only the maker ' Rubber Stamps Inc. 16W. 22nd St. '.  The ones with designs on them are from ' Kohler Stamp & Stencil Co. Louisville, KY. '

.fullsizeoutput_bab3.jpeg.833c798aa9f5bd201bd6a639cc94e565.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_babb.jpeg.a7ca90c4dc89387c5c207bea8d3408b4.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

On 7/5/2021 at 3:40 AM, General Apathy said:

Further information provided for us by our friend Rene from Holland . . . . . . .

A couple of months back I showed a complete pack of unissued wartime USAAF insignia with a different style retaining clip on the rear, Rene has just emailed me with a drawing of that clip from the US Patents office, thanks Rene

.fullsizeoutput_a804.jpeg.26a1e1751203b4b204bd692c879cc2c3.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a7ff.jpeg.ec964db2ea399fd75bf82817d190c014.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a80b.jpeg.7e1425dc7cbf3b9f39a6250eb8b9699d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b988.jpeg.6d778747a134bb62d8c01bfa6754674e.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2021.

Ken, thanks to you and Rene for this information. This is similar in style to those used on my dad’s ribbon bar.These would be wartime, as he never requested his medals after the war.

3B119967-7ECC-401B-B369-0D1D6ACFED17.jpeg

F311704B-1677-4E03-B64F-28E89894B7D5.jpeg

General Apathy
34 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Who are these Flyboys????

33851501_2047804761899636_7907003073602519040_n.jpg

Hi Johan,

well colourful if nothing else . . . . . . . . . . . new one on me. !!

.fullsizeoutput_bae5.jpeg.eaa0749020ff4cc39d87c02d32220cc1.jpeg

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, BEAST said:

Ken, thanks to you and Rene for this information. This is similar in style to those used on my dad’s ribbon bar.These would be wartime, as he never requested his medals after the war.

3B119967-7ECC-401B-B369-0D1D6ACFED17.jpeg

F311704B-1677-4E03-B64F-28E89894B7D5.jpeg

Hi Erick,

thanks,  I am pleased to see that you shared your fathers ribbon bar with us. All credit to Rene for attaching the US Patent paperwork.

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

. . . . . . . . . . new one on me. !!

saw it on Simon P J’s Facebook Page…

Some more stuff from the trip. The museum with the M38 also had this motorcycle. It was tagged as a 1941 Indian.  About 1/3 of the displays had no descriptive markers at all.  And even with my limited knowledge, I think about 10% of the tags that there were had inaccuracies. 

Mikie 

1941 Indian.jpg

Johan Willaert
8 minutes ago, mikie said:

Some more stuff from the trip. The museum with the M38 also had this motorcycle. It was tagged as a 1941 Indian.  About 1/3 of the displays had no descriptive markers at all.  And even with my limited knowledge, I think about 10% of the tags that there were had inaccuracies. 

Mikie 

1941 Indian.jpg

they probably didnt credit my website for the photos they took from it and used…

one WW2 era photo and the color photo I took of a French friend at a military vehicle ride in Belgium some years ago…

There was a lot of Spitfire love here a week or so ago. And I share in it.  I didn't see any Spitfires in Florida, but I did see this P-40.  I really love these planes.  No elegance and grace like the Spit, the P-40 more than held it's own when up against planes like the Zero that could outperform it.  The early Pacific war planes like the P-40, Dauntless and Wildcat have a special place in my history loving heart.  

The same small museum/flying school also had a couple of beautiful T-6 Texan trainers.  

P40.jpg

T-6 Texan.jpg

1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

they probably didnt credit my website for the photos they took from it and used…

one WW2 era photo and the color photo I took of a French friend at a military vehicle ride in Belgium some years ago…

OMG Johan!  If I had seen your name on a credit, I would have been surprised.  Sorry they "borrowed" you photos.  I was specifically thinking of you  when I saw the bike and took the picture.  It was the Museum of Military History in Kissimmee, FL.  

2 hours ago, mikie said:

I really love these planes.  No elegance and grace like the Spit, the P-40 more than held it's own when up against planes like the Zero that could outperform it.  The early Pacific war planes like the P-40, Dauntless and Wildcat have a special place in my history loving heart.  

Mike,

I am the exact same way! I greatly prefer the P-40, P-47 and Dauntless over any of the other planes. 

...Kat

While the fam went to Disneyworld for 3 days, I managed to get away and head to Kennedy Space Center for a day.  

Getting up close and personal with the space shuttle Atlantis is an awe inspiring experience.  Atlantis flew a couple of dedicated Department of Defense missions, so qualifies as militaria for forum purposes. 

Atlantis.jpg

Here is my wandering around kit for the trip.  Boone is a 1998 contract.  The sustainment pouch is a 2001 contract.  And in a combination probably never done before, my hommage to WWII is using a 1942 dated musette bag strap on the pouch. 

Hat and pouch.jpg

And to the relief of you all, I think this is my final post on the Florida trip. Not in the least military related, but the reason for it all, a my wonderful wife Annie and dear daughter Kassidy.  

Mikie

Disneyworld A and K.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, mikie said:

It was hard to resist beating the stuffing out of this NAZI.    

Nazi Dummy.jpg

Hi Mikie, thanks for your holiday pics and, in reference to your T-shirt, instead of punching you just should have said: Ni!

Mikie.  I wish you could have found your way to north Florida, which has the state’s best beaches by far (St. George Island) and the old fishing community of Apalachicola, which reminds me of Key West 50 years ago before it became a tourist trap.  A lot of the coastline around St. Marks has never been developed and the flats fishing for trout and red fish there is superb.  There is also a small WWII museum in Carrabelle, which was where Camp Gordon Johnson was located, where troops trained for the D-Day invasion.  Hope you and your family had a wonderful vacation!

19 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

Mikie.  I wish you could have found your way to north Florida, which has the state’s best beaches by far (St. George Island) and the old fishing community of Apalachicola, which reminds me of Key West 50 years ago before it became a tourist trap.  A lot of the coastline around St. Marks has never been developed and the flats fishing for trout and red fish there is superb.  There is also a small WWII museum in Carrabelle, which was where Camp Gordon Johnson was located, where troops trained for the D-Day invasion.  Hope you and your family had a wonderful vacation!

I'm sure it won't be my last trip to Florida.  My wife has family in Orlando and they are great people.  I love visiting them.  My dear daughter graduates from nursing school in December.  Her life plan is to build up a nest-egg and move to Florida.  She loves it there.  Beaches and Disney World.  That's her thing.    

On 7/7/2021 at 5:24 AM, General Apathy said:

Something else from the shoebox . . . . . . 

Several WWII military rubber stamps the flat ones don't have a location shown only the maker ' Rubber Stamps Inc. 16W. 22nd St. '.  The ones with designs on them are from ' Kohler Stamp & Stencil Co. Louisville, KY. '

.fullsizeoutput_bab3.jpeg.833c798aa9f5bd201bd6a639cc94e565.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_babb.jpeg.a7ca90c4dc89387c5c207bea8d3408b4.jpeg

Ink-credible collection. 

On 7/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, mikie said:

While the fam went to Disneyworld for 3 days, I managed to get away and head to Kennedy Space Center for a day.  

Getting up close and personal with the space shuttle Atlantis is an awe inspiring experience.  Atlantis flew a couple of dedicated Department of Defense missions, so qualifies as militaria for forum purposes. 

Atlantis.jpg

Definitely military.....look at all those gunports in the nose section. Reminds me a little bit of this, though.

8753986222_9ec6f81d37_b.jpg.f288c63da9be5594e428f9ff6191a976.jpg

General Apathy

yesterdays finds . . . . . . . 

Driving home yesterday on an unfamiliar road and about an hour from home I spotted a Jeep trailer in a yard of other vehicles and vans, we turned around and called in the yard.  I then spotted a 200 litre German fuel barrel, a stripped Jeep engine block, a 1941 British ammunition box, a Jeep combat rim, a Jeep petrol tank, a Jeep radiator, a jeep bulkhead oil-can, the lid of another German 200 litre barrel, two Jeep grilles which I have to see yet to see if Willys or Hotchkiss, and two GMC axles.  

We discussed prices and I have to go back with Mike to pick the stuff up, the owner drove us to another place he owns and asked if I was interested in this British 15Cwt Morris truck which is for sale, but I'm not interested. In this building I spotted other Jeep pieces, all in need of further investigation.  ( then and now shots of the style of truck )

I made a joke about how much was the WWII route mileage marker opposite his house, he said it wasn’t his to sell and anyway it was plastic, he said follow me and I will show you the original concrete one that they replaced with the plastic one, next to the concrete one were several German barbed wire stakes . . . . .  as I said, further investigation of the yard is needed. 

Mike said that my face was a picture watching the guy unlock the shed doors, he said that I looked like I was having deja-vue seeing again places like I would have found 20–30 years ago.

Even rarer than the military stuff he has a 1980's Renault rally car a factory special with the engine mounted mid body behind the front two seats, similar to this one 

Still places out there if you can find them.

.IMG_6782.JPG.6897fa1e7e288c757962cc90da6fc441.JPG  

.1551338431_cs8-researly.JPG.6a1e6d5c30906cd8e8e0ac13a3d7c9b5.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_bb35.jpeg.f4b216f2f1b3bbdf8fa2eb277ddb6f7f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_bb34.jpeg.d50eaa26df529d85c0f6c367cf9c9507.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 10  2021.

Your adventures make me want to plan a hobo trip around the Normandy area before I’m too old to enjoy it.  I’m presently reading Omar Bradley’s book, “A Soldier’s Story” (classic book by-the-way) and have been book marking places he discussed that I’d like to visit.  Keep the post coming…between you and Omar, you’re helping me plan one heck of a vacation.

General Apathy
On 7/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, mikie said:

Ink-credible collection. 

Making fun of one-another . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Mikie,  time to stamp on this one before you knock the ink-pot over . . . . . . . . . 

I just added this comment to another thread posed by ' Stratasfan ' questioning why service personnel make fun of the Coast Guard crews.

Hi Elizabeth.

I often remind people that we only make fun of one-another if we have an affinity, liking, or love for them . . . . . . . these people are our friends, in general we never bother joshing or making fun of people we don't like or get along with.

A couple of years back Jane and I were out for a meal with a married couple that we are friends with.  During the meal a discussion started on a recent newspaper article about a British policeman who had been attacked by a terrorist with a machete, he had defended himself with a stun-gun ( British police are still mainly unarmed ).  My friend said that his wife wouldn't have needed a stun-gun she would have simply shouted at them.  I said that health & safety wouldn't have allowed that as there is a recognised recovery time from a stun-gun but not from his wife, all four of us roared with laughter, these are friends.

regards lewis.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 11  2021.